Beyond: Two Souls...Your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond: Two Souls...Your thoughts?

I've not seen a whole lot of discussion of this title, and personally I find it interesting. I've yet to play Heavy Rain but intend to pick up a used copy. The variety of locations and story telling look good, but I'm kinda disappointed with the lack of footage outside the main segments they've shown off. Though the game is only a little over month from release so I suppose I can be patient just a little longer.

Is anyone else here planning to pick this game up? And what did you think of Heavy Rain if you've played it?
    sigpic
    "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

I plan on picking it up, and I on purposely do not do any research to experience everything first hand. Actually the only thing I saw was the E3 2012 coverage. I did the same thing with Last of Us (not intentionally though) and it was amazing.

Heavy Rain left an extremely positive impression on me. Not something you can replay often but still a very unique interactive neo-noir movie. The game's success proved that there's room in industry for this type of cinematic adventures.

Comment

Looking forward to the inevitable Ellen Page shower scene.
      sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, though have a lot of criticisms of it.

The multiple paths and choice that was advertised was rather false, you're led through a set path regardless of your actions until the final 3 scenes or so. It is done well though and in a way where you don't realise it until you try to replay the game.

For the first playthrough, game is amazing, for every other playthrough is really boring and a bit disheartening to find your choices didn't matter and the game is overly forgiving of failing things.

Anyway, payed £35 for it on release and though great that one time, £35 great it is not. So for Beyond: Two Souls going to wait until until it drops in price. £15 will do it. Looking forward to it.
        Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

i played it at the gamescom and i have to say i saw better games....maybe the released version will be better

Comment

There's a public demo coming about a week before release.

Comment

I'm hyped for it .. without trying to spoil it - at first I didn't like the revealed scenes (where she is older) which seemed like a massive step out from what the rest shown before had shown.

But thinking about it - I guess it's OK - the fact the game spans from 8 yrs old to in her 20's is kinda cool .. letting you play her life in stages.
              Ellen Page is an amazing actress (loved her in Hard Candy) and Heavy Rain was amazing also .. so I preordered this for it's extra's. (bonus level, making of etc)
              "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

I played through Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy which, aside from delving into too much QTE's and going off the rails plot wise, I really enjoyed... and that was enough to get me to pick up Heavy Rain. HR was clearly never going to be everyone's cup of tea. I played through it several times getting all the endings and finishing it 100%... and I liked it because of the narrative, not so much the gameplay. Sounds like B:TS might have fixed the gameplay side of it a little and still have the story. I could fully understand why someone would or wouldn't have loved Heavy Rain though... I don't think you could find a midground to that either, either you'll enjoy it or you'll hate it.

The problem is no matter how big the game is, it'll be short of David Cage's ideas.... Cage hypes the crap out of stuff and then usually fails to bring what he hypes. Not that the end products are bad, but that what he original says doesn't seem to gel with the final product. He even did that in the first showing of the game at last year's E3 conference where he talks about having Page as a wonderful actress, yet the scene he picked didn't show it - she sits still for most of it and says all of about three words.

I mean he's not lying or anything, I'm sure they're his visions for these things and he means well but he just never meets a standard because they're so well beyond the technology normally or time just runs out and he has to release a product sometime.

I remember for Fahrenheit he kept going on about this "bible" of content he wrote to backstory the concept with an over 2000 page script. He basically envisioned DLC episodic content before it was possible. He really talked up the seriousness and adult themes which were supposedly lacking from games. While that all seems visionary the problem is even for the scratch the surface story in the Fahrenheit, when you look at itself is fairly lackluster and I kinda struggle to think what the rest of the story really could have been. And other developers have managed to make just as adult stories but actually have fun gameplay that isn't a bunch of quick time events. I mean I enjoyed the game and it's first half was good, but you know.... it slides off the deep end and the gameplay does too.

When it comes to Heavy Rain the story is much more improved, as was the gameplay concept - moved beyond the basic QTE style events of the Fahrenheit, but the extra DLC Cage touted got thrown out in favor of redoing the game with Move support... Which was a shame because unlike the last game, the shared narrative really had the chance to flesh out more characters and events. Again this was stuff he talked about in early days of the game as well, doing more stories, and sadly aside from the retooled tech demo being released as part of the original Special Edition and Move One, that just never happened.

I have hopes this will be just as enjoyable as Rain is, but I'll take it on it's own merits and not what Cage expects it to be.
                Last edited by Rombie; 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Someone spoiled who the origami killer was, so I never played it past the demo. This doesn't really interest me though from what I've seen. Kinda non plussed about the whole thing and it's predecessors in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                    When it comes to Heavy Rain the story is much more improved, as was the gameplay concept - moved beyond the basic QTE style events of the Fahrenheit, but the extra DLC Cage touted got thrown out in favor of redoing the game with Move support...
                    That really annoyed me, I really liked the FBI guy and wanted to see him in previous cases and such. The real kicker is, and this is from someone who owns PS Move and always gives a game a fair chance using it, the PS Move controls were utter shit and added nothing to the game.
                    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Loved Heavy Rain and also Indigo Prophecy so I'll be getting this day 1 of release, Gamestop is apparently the only ones offering a limited edition steel book case for it. Only game I've been looking forward to this year xD

Comment

My GameStop isn't offering anything for B:TS unfortunately. I just completed Heavy Rain and I loved it. I've only gotten one ending however so I'll replay some chapters and get the Madison DLC. It's only $5 so it's not a huge deal.

If Heavy Rain is any indication of how good B:TS is going to be then its going to be a long month for me. I'll probably pick up Indigo Prophecy in a few months.
                        Last edited by Graco; 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM.
                        sigpic
                        "Must the State continue to exist once the question of labor and capital shall be practically solved? We reply in the negative. We are anarchists."

Comment

I've played Heavy Rain. It was very good, but very depressing. :c

Comment

Originally posted by Graco View Post
                            My GameStop isn't offering anything for B:TS unfortunately. I just completed Heavy Rain and I loved it. I've only gotten one ending however so I'll replay some chapters and get the Madison DLC. It's only $5 so it's not a huge deal.

If Heavy Rain is any indication of how good B:TS is going to be then its going to be a long month for me. I'll probably pick up Indigo Prophecy in a few months.
                            Check it out man :3

Buy Beyond: Two Souls by Sony at GameStop. Find release dates, customer reviews, previews, and more.

Exclusive Steelbook Premium Packaging
                            Extensive Behind The Scenes Video Features
                            Soundtrack
                            Dynamic PS3 Theme
                            PSN Avatar Pack
                            GameStop exclusive 30-minute playable additional scene DLC

Comment

Day one buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X