No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 2 remake by fans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I greatly enjoyed the videos of their progress so far. Looks very interesting. The early demo of RE2 (trial edition) had the same generator mention power being off, so looks like they are using deleted plot points in their remake.
    Last edited by Eteponge; 07-22-2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Anyone who takes this project seriously as a RE2 remake will likely feel really dissapointed. But if you take it as a TPS remix of Darkside Chronicles with some added features it might be an enjoyable experience.

Just don't expect too much from fan projects made by people working with limited resources.
      The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
        it doesn't look exactly impressive
        how impressive is it exactly?

the dark environments (as if darkness equals horror).
        only in every culture in the history of mankind.

They seem to be ignoring how the human eye can adjust to a certain degree of light by getting progressively used to it. Here all we see is always pure black,
        if there is no light at all, you can't even see your hand in front of your face. the contrast is not so extreme.

Imagine if you were to play this with a static camera. Would you be able to see a thing?
        hopefully only in a given radius around the flashlight.

Seriously, weren't they even able to add a second weapon or monster type after all this time?
        the licker may be beatable, it just kills you in the demo already out.

[*]the biggest: evolved lickers in the RPD hall, instead of regular ones
        they were also only on the balcony, and later in the game. maybe that was also for demonstration, like the scientist and naked zombies.

[*]again with lickers, remember when they were completely blind? Now they have red-night vision, hooray;
        no, i dont remember that. i could even take a leap and say maybe that was an artistic interpretation of echolocation, but their vision to me seems more based on relative movement than sound, that is why you can walk by slow but they saw leon through the clear side of the glass.

[*]that black out is nonsensical and inconsistent.
        this is common in cities with more than one power company.

First, the sub generator should have kicked in as soon as the main one failed (why did it fail in the first place anyway?) and give power to at least important areas of the station
        perhaps it went untested/neglected for so long it didn't and thats why the engineer was trying to quickly repair it, but never made it back.

but apparently it's all dark yet some things grab power from an unknown source. Mumble;
        flood lights usually have backup, even cheap ones hold a solar charge.

somebody who tries to grab attention to a big project but clearly lacks some or most means of execution.
        progress is all that matters.

Still a long way to go before they get even close to a remake.
        anything playable is better than pics and videos.

Comment

Originally posted by J0shuaKane View Post
          how impressive is it exactly?
          Not much at all, UE4 can do immensely better than that. It feels bare bone and looks bland at best.

only in every culture in the history of mankind.
          Not in games and, specifically, not in RE. Check what REmake did with the light sources.

if there is no light at all, you can't even see your hand in front of your face. the contrast is not so extreme.
          It's not this case. There are light sources, yet it's all dark. Poor design is poor.

they were also only on the balcony, and later in the game. maybe that was also for demonstration, like the scientist and naked zombies.
          Not sure, but still a huge mistake.

no, i dont remember that. i could even take a leap and say maybe that was an artistic interpretation of echolocation, but their vision to me seems more based on relative movement than sound, that is why you can walk by slow but they saw leon through the clear side of the glass.
          They use sounds to locate their victims, RE2 was clear about it. No echolocation, they aren't a cheap reinterpretarion of Dare Devil.

this is common in cities with more than one power company.
          Still can't apply everywhere and a black out that extended sounds quite unlikely.

flood lights usually have backup, even cheap ones hold a solar charge.
          What about the TV or the fountain?

anything playable is better than pics and videos.
          Unless they call it again "alpha" and release a broken mess that plays worse that the original with 1/10th the stuff implemented.
          Last edited by Gemini; 07-24-2015, 01:31 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
          , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Wow, some rude criticisms in this thread, if I may say.

I greet this project with open arms and hope it doesn't get canned before they make progress on other mansion areas.
            If you read this, you wasted five seconds of your life.

Comment

Still not entirely convinced (more so that the last videos though)
              The thing that bugs me most of all is the fact most fans focus on Leon (and Chris) 24/7.
              Pee'd me off big time that Capcom pushed Claire into the background in Darkside and Degeneration (hell, even in Rev 2 to some extent, with Barry)

The flashlight just feels tacked on and useless in the pitch black (in real life, no city is that dark, even with no power)Wouldn't the RPD have some kind of emergency lighting anyway if the generator failed?

Show me some footage of Claire (or even Sherry or Ada), some classic camera work (I'd be happy with moving cams like the ones in Outbreak and Dino Crisis which are dynamic - the can zoom in and out, pan rooms or be still)
              The also need to make new rooms which aren't just ports from DSC also.
              The pace feels a little TOO slow aswell..
              The music and SFX though seem nice enough.
              "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

One thing that bothers me are zombies using RE4 Ganados animations, it feels a bit ugly since zombies aren't suposed to react to damage that way.
                The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

I think if something is going to be remade it needs to be better than the original, and this project just isn't the case. Not even just in terms of visuals, but plot as well. REmake took the original plot of the first game and added a ton of new twists and unique story/design elements. If it's just the cloned copy of the original game but with a different engine there really isn't much to offer. Original RE2 is fine the way it is. In the case of REmake.. There's many reasons RE1 was remade, and those reasons are pretty obvious.

I think even Capcom themselves once stated the reason they never bothered to do a remake of 2 and 3 is they felt both games are perfect as they are. From a biased fan perspective, RE1 was a timeless masterpiece and what got me into the series, but from a professional design perspective it was total B-grade crap in comparison to RE2 and RE3, so a remake was necessary and inevitable. It's just not the case with RE2..
                  Last edited by VirusPunk; 07-25-2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VirusPunk View Post
                    I think if something is going to be remade it needs to be better than the original, and this project just isn't the case. Not even just in terms of visuals, but plot as well. REmake took the original plot of the first game and added a ton of new twists and unique story/design elements. If it's just the cloned copy of the original game but with a different engine there really isn't much to offer. Original RE2 is fine the way it is. In the case of REmake.. There's many reasons RE1 was remade, and those reasons are pretty obvious.

I think even Capcom themselves once stated the reason they never bothered to do a remake of 2 and 3 is they felt both games are perfect as they are. From a biased fan perspective, RE1 was a timeless masterpiece and what got me into the series, but from a professional design perspective it was total B-grade crap in comparison to RE2 and RE3, so a remake was necessary and inevitable. It's just not the case with RE2..
                    Again, I think perhaps I am guilty of singing them praises' of RE1, but I can only call it as I see it-- likely, if they were able to redo the backgrounds and many other details in an alternate universe to get 1 looking on par with 2 or 3 upon release, I really think the remake of 1 would have happened irregardless.

Regarding some of the past interviews from the top developers in the company, a few lead me to believe sometimes they'll sort of just 'bend' the truth at times to produce a more sexy answer in interviews. You read old Mikami or Okamoto interviews and it reveals itself at times.

I understand many people here really like/respect 2 and 3, but I simply do not see what it so utterly timeless about either to preclude a remake that would be capable of doing certain things better. Christ, if physics engines keep improving, along with lighting, I think that alone could open some very interesting avenues for a remake of both games. Let alone if in several years from now Oculus/Vive/Morpheus 3D applications begin to really come to life.

And OT, though not enthused by what I see of this 'fan made' 2make, I'm certainly not going to nitpick every last detail. At the least I'm happy there's people that even want to do these fan projects at all.
                    The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

I honestly don't care for all these modern engines that much. Yes, if my job requires me to do so I will stay consistent with the times and update my skills to reflect the current engine technology, but honestly when games started diving more and more into realism is when I became turned off by gaming. Even REmake and Zero, while excellent games, sort of lost their charm and atmosphere as soon as they updated the character and enemy models to higher poly and used higher quality rendering and lighting techniques. REmake and Zero were/still are excellent games, though. Don't get me wrong too, I love to admire realistic high quality 3D rendered art, but in games it takes the charm away IMO. I play a modern game and find myself impressed with how stunning the visuals are and how long and far game development has gone in terms of breaking the barrier between obviously what can be described as looking like a game to looking as good as a photograph, but always end up being disappointed by poor gameplay mechanics and a short mundane storyline, basically with modern games the notion behind the building process is graphics > gameplay to put it simply. Instead of getting anything new, we get the same recycled generic CoD esque shooter formula over and over again. From the NES to the PS2, we had so much variety to choose from, even the 'bad' games of these eras were fun to play just for a quick laugh.

You help me bring up the next point I wanted to make. If a remake of RE2 is to be in development due to popular demand, I want it to be done by professionals. If a remake of RE2 TRULY needs to be made, I'd rather see Capcom doing it if anything contrary to my statement above. If majority of the fans want remakes of these games, and Capcom actually listens, I'm not going to complain. However, I'm almost positive Capcom will try to mimic what these fans are going for, over the shoulder action (non atmospheric) oriented boredom. Re-releasing the games for modern systems and modern PC hardware to me would be the better choice. You can show a whole new generation of gamers what true gaming is all about, which will in turn spark a new possible interest in the old formula once again only among modern gamers. Just look at how well REmake HD was perceived by the modern gamer, even many new school kids got really into it.

Comment

I honestly don't care for all these modern engines that much. Yes, if my job requires me to do so I will stay consistent with the times and update my skills to reflect the current engine technology, but honestly when games started diving more and more into realism is when I became turned off by gaming. Even REmake and Zero, while excellent games, sort of lost their charm and atmosphere as soon as they updated the character and enemy models to higher poly and used higher quality rendering and lighting techniques.
                        Sure, my heart is in large part along with that past era as well-- I loved how when 3D hit with the 32bit era, you could really feel the inspiration permeate the designers and composers in some of those games. It didn't yet feel like the 'business' end of the industry had any real grab on consistent artistic choices, only in hopes that the game would sell well, and possibly lead to something of a franchise. Inspired unpredictability.

But we're miles and miles from there now, and as the old saying goes about not really being able to go back...

The fact that ReMake was as good as it was, proved something for me-- as long as the right team is there, and given just enough resources to execute a vision, a worthwhile experience can always be possible. I remember first hearing back in like 01' some time that they were remaking RE1, and thinking for sure they'd fuck it up. Even with Mikami- I was skeptical they could come close to the greatness of the original, but they did, and dead center. I guess that's where I'm coming from with this 2/3 remake business-- if the right conditions occur, we could have a new thing that respectfully pays tribute to what came before, while being great in it's own merit.

Been said before, but-- I think somehow combining 2 and 3 into a single remake game could make for a very 'big' experience.
                        The horror is alive, the horror is expanding; living with the horror, can be demanding

Comment

I honestly don't care for all these modern engines that much. Yes, if my job requires me to do so I will stay consistent with the times and update my skills to reflect the current engine technology, but honestly when games started diving more and more into realism is when I became turned off by gaming. Even REmake and Zero, while excellent games, sort of lost their charm and atmosphere as soon as they updated the character and enemy models to higher poly and used higher quality rendering and lighting techniques.

Comment

Realism can be nice, if executed properly:

Horror done the right way, also lighting. You don't even need pure dark to build up tension, heh.
                            Last edited by Gemini; 07-26-2015, 09:53 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                            , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                              Realism can be nice, if executed properly:

Horror done the right way, also lighting. You don't even need pure dark to build up tension, heh.
                              That's VERY NICE! Great example!

Comment

Working...
                              X