No announcement yet.

Alone in the Dark 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When some of you will get I would like to hear your oppinions.
    "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Theres a 360 special edition? Whats so different about it?

Comment

Big box, awesome artbook, cheaply made figure, 8 track soundtrack, making of DVD...and the game, obvs.

There's pictures around, will have a look.

Last edited by Dot50Cal; 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I need to find myself one of those... And damn, I knew there was something that would be released sometime around these days that wasn't Super Smash Brosh Brawl (EU).

Comment

the controls of the wii version looks goooooooood

Comment

Reminds me, I have to pick up the game, but i'll get a regular 360 copy.
              As for SSMB:B, when its out in the UK i'll buy it and register my Wii for online usage/get a screename for online play.

Comment

My feelings for the game right now are that it just needs tightening up. The biggest problems for me are the silly driving glitches that could easily be (literally) sweeped up off the roads, and the camera.

These are the sort of things that could be easily fixed with the sort of patches that we become accustomed to in this generation, so i'll live in hope that they can fix it in the future.

Comment

Doubt they will, this is atari after all, wishful thinking if they touched it up on the PS3 version, but I doubt PS3 users will be that lucky.

Comment

Well, technically it's Eden publishing, and i'm quite sure they patched some things in Test Drive: Unlimited.

Played through another episode tonight. My thoughts are far more positive.

Starts with a "Previously on Alone In The Dark..." segment, the first one i've seen in the game. Does a very good job! Starting to learn the combat a little bit better now, dealing with the camera...my biggest problem is just how many controls there are in the damn game haha

But yeah, it's crept upto a 7/10 for me now.

Comment

I've played this game more than enough now to think i've got it figured out.

It's a serious pain in the ass!

Never before have i been so hyped for a title only to feel this much disappointment! It's still not a bad game, i had just come to expect so much better that's all, it's a missed opportunity unfortunately.

The controls are unneccessarily painful to get to grips with, there's a camera with a life of it's own, and some of it's areas are so glitch-ridden that there'll be more than one occasion where the game's over-exagerated physics engine will stop you from progressing, leaving you no option but to just die and start again!

This often brings in another pain in it's own right, the unskippable cutscenes! A few times i've been killed pretty soon after a cut scene, and sometimes it can take two or three attempts to see the idea of what you have to do. All too many times this'll happen, and each time you'll be forced to sit through the same poorly dialogued cut scene. It's something that could have easily been rectified had the game been playtested properly prior to release. As it stands, it almost seems as if Eden thought "The hell with it, we did our best!" and pushed it out into the world.

If you're easily stressed with some games, the driving sections are most definitely not for you! There is so little margin for error in AITD that if you're just the slightest bit too far right or left, the chances are you'll be clipped on a piece of irrelevant scenery, trapping your car permanently until whatever is after you kills you off. I've hit two driving sections so far, both just as bad, and as infuriating as eachother.

A short boss battle with a "batz" nest brought just as much frustration! Not even sure what the tactic to use is but i got through it by hook or by crook, but it took several attempts and a broken controller (lashed at a wall, now is stuck in "up" on the d-pad) before i just went all out and tried rushing the bastard.

That's the negatives out of the way.

On the plus side, everything you've read about the game's use of fire is true, it's just brilliant! Just a simple petrol bomb has enough damage to bring down a whole room, it's like nothing you've seen in a game before!

The combat, once you've gotten used to it is a treat as well. It will take time obviously, but it's great fun clubbing the living shit out of over-sized beasts with a fire axe! Great fun sweeping at foes with lengthy clubs knocking them over cliff tops as well! Had the game stuck to simple indoor exploration and battling this game would truly be something else, because that's where the game is at it's most enjoyable i think! It's the out-door sections so far that i've found the most painful.

So, that being said, it's currently sitting at 7/10 for me. It should be so much higher, but really easily avoided niggles just keep bringing the game down time after time. These are the sort of things that could easily be patched as well, so here's hoping that Eden will make the effort!

It's a shame in the meantime, that some of the most exceptional in-game moments ever created have to be soiled by being stuck alongside some of these pains. The first car scene should be the most epic piece of gaming there's even been...but like with much of the game, it fails to deliver.

I read somewhere about how you'll try so hard to love the game but you'll keep being let down, and that really is the best way to describe it.

Comment

i like it when you get to wack monsters with a chair on fire now thats really cool and the game looks so real. can't wait.

Comment

Nice review, Big Stu

Comment

Originally posted by LeigiBoy View Post
                            the controls of the wii version looks goooooooood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NppDHYuHWSE
                            Do want

Comment

I wonder how the 360 controls will fair. I should be getting it tomorrow or within the next couple of days thanks to processing/shipping times. The sooner, the better.

The wiimote actions look like they bring added realism to the game since your moves are emulated rather well by the character.

Comment

The game is more or less mediocre. Lots of glitches, terrible camera, unintuitive controls, and it is so very short. It was supposed to be an episodic game and it shows, each chapter can be completed in around an hour.

Comment

Working...
                                X