Playstation 3 backwards compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured that

I wish all games were region free. I'm a bit concerned about one day wrecking my PS1 from doing that dumb swap-disk trick.

Comment

I broke my jewel doing that.
      If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

By jewel you mean the laser, I suppose?

Comment

The black circle thing that holds the cd in place.
          If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad9026 View Post
            Listen to me Gene, because I am the owner of one of the 40gb PS3. First of all you cant play in any PS or PS2 games on 40Gb version. Yes if you buy a new console the feature of playing the games from previous consoles is deleted. Than it does not matter were you buy your console because it is not region locked. So you do can play USA games on Japan console, BUT you wil be able to watch only Japan BRay discs because they are region locked. And it have no card reader andonly 2 USB ports. I hope my info helped you. But still take any PS3 as you can because PS rules.
            PS1 games work fine on the 40gb PS3

Comment

I have a question. If you play a resident evil game for the ps2. will it come out to at least up to 720p or better. I ask this because some one said that the ps3 has some sort of a resolution converter.

Comment

If you play on 40Gb version of PS3 you wont be able to play any PS2 game, this function was deleted. But on 60 or 80GB you can play using 720p
                "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

PS3 60GB JAP

I have a Japan original batch PS3 console. It doesn't use emulation software. It plays all region worldwide PS3 discs. It will only play Japan PS 1 & 2 software which is good when you want use it for your import software only. The good thing about this first model it will play USA BLUE RAY DISCS as well as region 2 NTSC that means its not compatible with european software: including the UK. It starts with firmware 1.00 it ask for an update when first installed. The original Japan PSP is the same.
                  Last edited by chris26; 06-18-2008, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Well the people that live in Uerope and bought PS3 resently are not that lucky, the people like me
                    "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Originally posted by chris26 View Post
                      I have a Japan original batch PS3 console. It doesn't use emulation software. It plays all region worldwide PS3 discs. It will only play Japan PS 1 & 2 software which is good when you want use it for your import software only. The good thing about this first model it will play USA BLUE RAY DISCS as well as region 2 NTSC that means its not compatible with european software: including the UK. It starts with firmware 1.00 it ask for an update when first installed. The original Japan PSP is the same.
                      All PS3 software right now is region free, so it's not specific to models. Likewise for BD regions; US and Japan are the same region.

Comment

You can get fairly cheap jewel replacements, don't forget. $9 from an online store.

However, I've quit using the swap-disk trick, because for every NTSC game, there is a PAL version too. Also, my burned disks don't want to work properly anyway.
                        Last edited by Helegad; 06-18-2008, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I never said the PS3 is not region free, I said it was restricted to a certain region for Playstation 1 & 2 software. But what I also said, is that it’s rare for the Japanese model to play region 1 Blue ray discs out of the box on a Japanese model.
                          Last edited by chris26; 06-18-2008, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chris26 View Post
                            But what I also said, is that it’s rare for the Japanese model to play region 1 Blue ray discs out of the box on a Japanese model.
                            USA and Japan both use Region 1/A for Blu-ray. So there's nothing "rare" or "unusual" about a Japnese PS3 playing Region 1/A Blu-ray discs.
                            Last edited by Carnivol; 06-18-2008, 10:57 AM. Reason: (Umon beat me to it :p)

Comment

^ Exactly. Worth noting that some publishers (very few) released some region free movies from a time to time, but it's getting rare now that the format war is settled.

The bonus BD with the MGS4 LE is region free from what I heard.
                              Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 06-18-2008, 11:06 AM.

Comment

"Region free is the way to be..."

Comment

Working...
                                X