OBSCURE : The Aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thats what I call a crazy ending.
    "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

I picked up ObsCure: The Aftermath just a few months ago, and even though I haven't had a chance to fully complete it yet, I found it to be a very enjoyable game. To me, it was almost like an odd combination of Silent Hill and the RE: Outbreak games. If you can rent it or find it at a low price, I'd definitely suggest that you try it out. I hate to say it, but from what we saw coming out of E3, ObsCure might actually be more of a survival horror-type game than RE5 will end up being. Sad, but true.

Comment

I really liked the first Obscure game. It was really fun and oddly enough, the horror aspect of it was a little similar to Luigi's Mansion, where light would harm the monsters. Talk about extreme photophobia. That game actually inspired alot of the botanical research I've done up to this point (in conjunction with an article in Scientific American) I wanted to see if there was a way to teach a plant to evolve certain charcteristics in a short amount of time. After a few months, I realized that plants are stubborn and unless you have gene splicing tools, things are just not going to get done without time being a factor... At least I tried

Comment

I've got to ask...what the hell were you planning to evolve?

The more I play the second game the less amused I am by it. The first is deffintely superior. However, I haven't gotten too far yet so I can't say how deep the suck runs.

Comment

Actually, I was researching plant movement in reaction to stimuli--sort of like the ones in "Minority Report" except not CGI . Since plants naturally move to follow a light source as they grow (phototropism). Basically, phototropism is the direction a plant grows in, which is determined by the direction of the light source.

The experiment consisted of a wide spectrum light beam (from one of those lamps claiming to recreate "sunlight") mounted on a circular track suspended above the plant that would rotate around the plant at various speeds to see how that would effect the growth of the plant. There were two main variables I considered during the experiments.

• How far the light beam was away from the plant.
            • The rotation speed of the light (revolutions/hour).

Our course this could yield hundreds of different experiments since you could vary the variables in many different ways. Seeing as how this was just a science project, I didn't really have the time nor resources to run hundreds of different experiments.

Comment

You should open up an experiment topic PO ;) Its fascinating reading your trials.

Comment

He may say tat he is not, but PO is definetly an evil Umbrella scientist Mark my words, some day he will envent and release t-virus on humanity just to gain an absolute power and world domination. Just look at his sig
                "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

I haven't had much luck with viral/bacterial cultures basically since the medium to grow them in and the equipment to study them is expensive. Even the used equipment you can find on ebay is still expensive, although not as expensive as a new one. Centrifuges, incubators, agar plates, test tubes, high powered microscopes (even old electron microscopes are still expensive ), bioreactors, autoclaves, shakers, micropipettes, etc...

Comment

Er... back to Obscure 2.
                    I played it today (on ps2) and think it's pretty good. The dumb ass college kids make it all seem a bit like 'Scary Movie' and the start of the game reminded me of 'Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude' (running around on campus).
                    But it has a lot of good qualities. It looks nice and plays okay. I got into it and was enjoying myself but I have a question:
                    HOW THE F**K do you save the game?
                    I played for over an hour and had reached the hospital when I died. While playing I paused the game a few times but there was no option to save and at no stage during play was I asked if I wanted to save. There were no checkpoints either. So when I died I was taken back to the title screen. I pressed 'continue' and was told there is no Obscure save data... gotta start again

I have the 1st Obscure but never finished it. I remember it looked good and I played for a while but then got distracted with other games... I've got too many games

Comment

hmm i know on the first game you save it using the disc's on various computers, maybe it's something similar to this on number 2,
                      i'm gonna have to buy it

Comment

The evil poisoness flowers, thats how you save. You touch them then all your people faint, then you rewake.
                        The saves can only be used once.
                        Last edited by Gradon; 07-31-2008, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Ah okay, thanks Gradon.
                          I did investigate the flowers but got the message, "Are you sure you want to touch them?"
                          I thought "Oooo, I better not, I'll probably die if I do"

Can only use a save file once? That IS like Outbreak.

Comment

Just jumping in to warn about the first Obscure. Might be the worst game ever made, except for the obligatory ET on the list.

Comment

What made you think it was so bad? It isn't great but I certainly wouldn't call it the worst game ever made. I have, after all, played RE Gaiden.

Comment

Working...
                              X