PS3 Broken. Epic Fail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 Broken. Epic Fail.

Alright, my happy hardcore hippy helpers, here is my conundrum. I have a PS3. I have done the following things.

1 - Plugged it in.

2 - Turned it on.

3 - Looked around the menu. No problems.

4 - Made myself an account.

5 - Inserted Metal Gear Solid 4.

6 - Waited for it to load.

7 - Wondered what the hell is going on when the thing seems to turn off and starts blinking a single red light at me.

8 - Sat for half an hour wondering if this is installing.

9 - Tried to repeat this, this time getting to a message about installing the game before it shuts off.

10 - Repeated steps 1 - 8 several times.

Someone tell me: who do I have to sacrifice to get my expensive new toy to work? Is it the folk who sold me the machine or the folk I bought the game from? Or should I just gut Sony, assuming I can find a number to call the bastards on.

Obi Wan THIA, you're my only hope! And I look bad with iced buns on my head so let's get this fixed nice and quick.

Equipment: Leaky boat, no paddles
    Population: YOU

Damn, I feel for you man!
    Shiny new toy to play with, excitement in the air, new games to check out, fun times to be had... and then THIS happens!

I read in the other thread that you got it cheap. Too good to be true? Did you see it working and running games before you bought it? Have you tried any other discs?
    If no discs, dvds, bluerays or games work, there's obviously something seriously wrong with the drive (it's shat itself).
    Check some Playstation forums and try to find threads with the same symptoms.
    You might just have to find out how much it will cost to fix it... (no warranty?)

I had a power failure (black out) yesterday. It only lasted a split second but it was enough to reset my PS3. Instead of restarting it just sat there with flashing red light. I thought "oh shit!" but I switched it off and rebooted it and all seems fine.

Comment

Sounds like it's the machine's firmware, if the green light isn't on (the machine will be on always and you'll see an animation of Snake smoking while it's installing). Try other games or BD media and DVD's; if they load up, it's your game disc. If not, it's the machine and an exchange is in order.

It can be a bit frustrating for sure, but hey, every electronic device has a defect rate. I went through a similar ordeal 2 months ago with Onkyo.
      Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 10-01-2008, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I tried a CD. As soon as it tried to run a song it died.

Although oddly it did work the second time, briefly.

Anyway, it's going back tommorow after I've fiddled with it some more. Hopefully they'll replace it rather than refund my cash. It's too good a price for me to just wanna get the money back.

Comment

PS3fail strikes again?

Comment

I must admit it did make me chuckle. I've gone through one 360 already...but at least it worked out the box.

Of course, I didn't laught much. It's a pricey bit of kit even at the bargain I got it for. But still, if you can't laugh you'll cry. Or in my case stab people in the face with a brio 'till they're dead.

I may have issues with violence, such as, 'Violence may not always be you answer, but it is mine.'

Comment

So you got it from a shop? I got the impression you must have bought it from 'some dude', 2nd hand (hence my questions).
              That's weird... could it be an old display model?

Still, despite your misfortune, I'm not sure the PS3 deserves its own 'Unreliable Piece of Shit' thread, just yet...

Bad luck and just demand a new one

Comment

I don't see why people love 360 better than PS3. PS3 is much more stable, reliable and powerful.

Comment

Cooling fan broken perhaps?
                  Finally playing 1.5. Woo-Hoo!!!

sigpic

Comment

That's what the minions on the phone said, it was a cooling problem. However, it runs as long as you want...so long as you don't demand it actually runs a disc. So pass.

Yes, I bought it from a shop. I suspect it was a display model or something. I have no idea why it's done this trick though.

Comment

Did u update it?

Comment

Nope, and I can't for now. I haven't got wireless router or, for that matter, any other way of connecting the damned thing.

But surely the damned thing capable of running games without updates to its system?

Comment

You'll take it apart one day to figure out what the problem is and discover that the majority of the hardware, except for the Cell processor, is actually comprised of parts from a 360. Like it's some Frankenstein-esque bastard child. In the end you'll have no choice but to euthanise it, in a scene eerily reminiscent of the final epilogue in MGS4.

Or even that scene from The Fly II, where Martin is forced to euthanise his beloved, yet horribly mutated pet golden retriever whom he adored as a child. I can see it now, you'll send the PS3 off to Sony for it to be fixed, some Sony executive will tell you that they had to dismantle it, but then you discover two years later or so that the PS3 had been kept functional all this time, contained in a specimen pit to be studied by Sony's researchers, making pained beeps and sounds. Horrified, you enter the pit, giving the console one last display of affection before you pull the plug, ending its traumatic existence forever.
                          Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 10-02-2008, 03:26 AM.
                          See you in hell.

Comment

"Congratulations! You have euthanized your PS3 faster than any other test subject on record!"

Comment

...well, that's one possiblity.

The other is that I get the money back and a new system from elsewhere. It was more expensive, sadly, but does actually work.

Comment

Working...
                              X