Fallout 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallout 3

I was excited to hear about Fallout 3 because I played the original Fallout on PC and it was pretty decent. I finally got my hands on a copy of Fallout 3 and I must say, it's really good. Now, before I get into the good parts of the game, I should go ahead and get the bad parts out of the way. First of all, expect a few glitches. There's an occasional glitch or two where you might get stuck in a wall or some angles might go haywire and make it appear as though you're walking off the face of the planet, but one glitch in particular takes place at the very start of the game.

When you’re a little kid, you have to take a job placement test called the g.o.a.t. exam. However, when you sit down to take the test, the game automatically glitches and you will just sit at your desk doing nothing until the end of time. To fix this, just save and load then things should get back to normal. There are few glitches here and there without a doubt, but for a game with so much detail and open land to explore, it's not hard to forgive and forget. Now, other than that this game is very well done.

Top notch graphics, controls, and voice acting (with a few celebrity appearances) with the same old retro post-apocalyptic plot. There are two things that you will be doing a lot of in this game...Dying and saving. Just as the Fallout games have always been, you just can't run into random territories without being a certain level or having the right equipment and not expect to be blown in half. It will happen, many times...but it's fun. It's fun wondering if you should be good or bad, if you should murder an innocent man that also happens to possess something you really need, such as a high-level suit of armor, money, or weapons. Fallout 3 is a pretty damn convincing world and has enough things to explore to keep you entertained for long, long time.
    Last edited by REmaster; 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM.
    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

What's with the focus on killing?

In Fallout 1-2 you could almost always abuse your charisma to achieve most goals.

My initial impression of Fallout 3 is that I'm playing a total conversion of Oblivion. All my (non-)favorite bugs and engine issues are there.
    -The retarded dialog structure is there
    (try changing subjects in a conversation back and forth a bit and you'll see that you have dialog options suddenly that belongs to the wrong subject, but sounds like it's part of the current conversation).
    -The VATS only work as a cheap "get out of jail for free" card in battle.
    (Oh noes! The enemy poses a threat/managed to hit me/might hit me! I better activate VATS before that happens. Only thing missing is a bloody portable vita chamber.)
    -Judging from the opening/tutorial segment, certain stats play little to no role and gameplay really wont be that affected by your stats.
    (like how you can have 1 strength and everything else mid-tree or below and go naked wrestel the radroaches. This while people around you with guns and a full armor will manage to get themselves killed in action, thanks to either shitty AI or poor game design, both which goes hand in hand.)
    -Enemies, especially while in groups and/or buildings, slides around as if the ground was slippery or they were playing hockey.
    (You may call it strafing, but I just received a call from Oblivion. Asking if had seen its archaic enemy animation and behavior near my place.)
    Last edited by Carnivol; 11-04-2008, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Yea I agree, I thought Oblivion was a extremely good rpg and it's a shame that the game doesn't shine as bright as it should have. With the same team making the new edition to the Fallout series, I thought it was a win/win situation. I get the impression that they were really rushing through this game to have it ready by launch (thus no trophy feature for ps3). I would have gladly waited longer to play if they would have just taken the time to work those bugs out.
      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."

Comment

The main problem is it's clealy oblivion converted to Fallout 3, rather than Fallout 3 using Oblivion's system. I found it's not as a funny as the first two Fallouts, and a lot darker. Yes, people were always in a bad situation before but they usually made it sound funny. Although I have no problem with the V.A.T.S system and find it very useful, probably because I have a fondness for removing the head and limbs of my foes. It's deffinitely got a little action for an action RPG than I'd like, but it's nothing I can't live with.

Otherwise, unless someone finishes Van Bruen, this is an acceptable third game.

Comment

I've preordered the limited edition Lunchbox edition for PC $120AUD

Comment

*Clings to Lunchbox like safety blanket* Myyyy precioussssss.

Also, PipBoy Bobblehead watches over me with Big Daddy. They keep me safe and tell me what to do.

Except burn people. That's all me.

Comment

I've actually just started playing fall out 1 and loving it.

Comment

For some reason, I always get Postal mixed up with Fallout.

$40 more to go on the limited edition!

Comment

There is one, big problem I've run across. If you're someone who likes to explore and such you can cut out a huge chunk of the game's story, and as I understand it the main plot isn't really all that long. Which is a bit of a shame.

I accidently cut out about two main quest sections and the game acted as though I'd done those bits, but as far as I can tell you could probaby cut out most of the quest right from the start. Which is a bit annoying.

Comment

I got Fallout 3. I loved it. But I do have to agree with the dark look to it. From all that I heard of it, I expected something with alot of humor. ( Like Stubbs The Zombie, Destroy all Humans, and The Overlord ) But sadly: The only thing that made me laught about Fallout 3 was mayor McCready.
                    "You fuckin' Mungo!!"

Oh and anyone notice that those super mutants looked alot like The Drones from The Gears of War games.

Comment

Really? Super Mutants have always looked like that though, so it's more a case of the Drones from GoW looking like Super Mutants.

Comment

You may have a point, Since I haven't played the other Fallouts. But what about those Killer Crabs looking alot like Resident Evil Hunters (without the speed)?

Comment

Oh, those are new and likely ripped off. I've spotted a couple of other things that are a bit of a rip off, like the new power armour.

Comment

Yea, I'm still roaming through the wastelands, accidently finding things that I probably shouldn't. The one thing I like about the Fallout games is that it's one of those games where it takes a long time to feel confident ya know. Like, most games after playing for a few days you feel like the baddest mofo in the world, you got good armor, guns, stats, etc. In Fallout, you can wander off into the wrong place and get dominated before you know what happened. I really wish they would incorporate some type of vehicle in the next installment, all these damn motorcycles are a tease. It would be nice to have a faster way of getting around when there's so many areas to be covered.

That sucks, but ya know what sucks worse? My R2 button breaking off my controller, so everytime I'm sourounded by like 6 super mutants I can't use my hit points
                            Spoiler:
                            Last edited by REmaster; 11-20-2008, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X