New Metal Gear about to be revealed soon ! :o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Borman View Post
    Its for dummies because there arent issues? Dummies are the ones who go and get a virus. Trust me, Im not talking about you or I, people who know what we are doing when it comes to computers. But honestly, these dummies are just actual consumers, the bulk of the market, who just want to sit down and search the interwebz So why not have them use OSX? The fact of the matter is, yeah, OSX isnt perfect, but as of this moment, there are less actual attacks on an OSX system right now. It could change, sure, since there are flaws, but it hasnt yet.
    Its more than likely to change, though. I mean, theres a decades-long battle of wits and resources on PCs end and MACs have been spared the fight only because theres statistically less of them. What happens when the tables are finally turned? Can you honestly say that Apple is well prepared to deal with the ammount of malware that is churned out for PCs? Its the same reason why Linux can tell the flock that its "secure".

Ive never seen it advertised in some way that makes it seem cheap, baby system. Sure, they stretch the facts, but thats what advertising is. Apple is trying to expand into that dummy / normal consumer territory, and tells them what they want to hear. They want money, and the only way to do that is to take away market from normal PC users. They arent trying to sway you Microsoft doesnt advertise its advance features, and neither does Apple.
    One of the basic things in Apples advertising is that youre able to do whatever you want, the way you want to. The more known catchphrase would be "Mac- it just works".

Could you say that if you take a person who has never used a computer in their life, that they would be able to use a Mac more comfortably?

And as the past couple years have shown, Apple are bringing the prices closer to the competition, but are still that bit off, but not as far off as many seem to think. I know a system that has tons of PCI-e slots, supports 32 or 64 gigs of ram, 8 cores and all that isnt cheap, coming from Apple or not.
    Hmm. A Macbook Pro, or an equivalent Mac laptop costs up to 3 times more here, than local laptop brands. When we compare high grade laptop brands prices to Macbooks, the price difference is still substantial.

Some people also are blinded by that fashion culture you talk about. Yes, there are people that act all high and mighty since they own a mac. But walk onto any college campus now, and youll see that a large portion of the market buying Macs right now are just college students who want a nice, reliable system to work on, and arent even apart of the dummy culture, or the fashion sense.
    Ive been to college, I go to college. College students are by far THE spearhead in fashion.

So yeah, Apple isnt perfect, but some people just seem to have the old Internet-flawed version of Apple in their minds. I know I did until a few years ago. Branch out and look at what the average person wants, and not us knowledgeable geeks and you'll see that it is Apple that is reaching the consumer right now, making gains in the marketplace and all that.

Naw, not a geek here per se. Just someone who has had to use a PC a lot for the past 5 years or so. Ive only come thus far because Ive had to do a lot of stuff I had no knowledge of.

But the thing is, the original point still stands- its for the dummies. Its for the less know-how people who will panic as soon as something goes wrong. And instead of figuring out the problem on their own, they run to the service. Thats like an endless cycle, on how a *consumer* should behave. Exactly fitting the Apples image of a "cool product". Nothing wrong with it per se, but when the claims come in that its better at *this and that* (graphics design, music design), then its just odd. Is there anything I cant do with Photoshop CS2, that you can?

Oh, and I have Vista installed, and dont mind that, so Im not an OMGZMICROSOFT!! person haha
    Yuck, Vista sucks the big one. The "back door deals" (wink wink) MS made with some laptop manufacturers is sickening. When they throw Vista on machines that technically cant run it, its just awful. Especially when you have to uninstall it and figure out that the manufacturer has scrapped all XP support (drivers and the likes) from their website...

Comment

Yeah, that is sickening. I done a bit of work experience at a PC shop, and a laptop came in with 512 RAM, a single-core 1.5GHz and a GMA800 with Vista Ultimate on it.

That is a truely epic fail.

Comment

Originally posted by PresidentEvul View Post
        I don't understand what the fuss is about apple stuff. Everyone I ask gives me this diatribe about how Macs are better for graphic art and stuff.

Last time I checked, I could install photoshop/illustrator/flash/etc on both windows and a mac, so whats the special feature on macs that makes them superior?

In my opinion, Macs are computers for people who don't know, and refuse to learn, how their computer works.
        That's a very ignorant way of thinking. Just because a Mac requires less maintenance (meaning it's more reliable and better functional) means people don't know?

Seriously, anyone who rags on mac computers saying they're for people who don't know how how a computer works is really damn ignorant, no offense.

I just prefer a computer that doesn't crash on me every day, always runs smoothly and doesn't take a half an hour to start up. I know it's too much to ask of Bill Gates, so good thing there's an alternative. And since you can run Windows on a Mac, I don't see why someone wouldn't get one. Aside from their own close mindedness.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard EX View Post
          I just prefer a computer that doesn't crash on me every day, always runs smoothly and doesn't take a half an hour to start up. I know it's too much to ask of Bill Gates, so good thing there's an alternative. And since you can run Windows on a Mac, I don't see why someone wouldn't get one. Aside from their own close mindedness.
          The whole talk about Macs being more reliable is statistical hogwash. Theres three reasons your Mac works better on you than your PC did, or you think that a Mac works better than a PC.

A) You bought a cheap PC, constructed by a bunch of foreigners who so far were forced to work in a chop shop or clothing factory (yay for stereotypes).
          B) You started doing something with your PC you were not supposed to be doing. For example, you heard about "overclocking" and thought "a few megahurtz" wouldnt hurt.
          C) For every Mac model, there are millions, constructed and assembled by hundreds of thousands of small and larger companies, for every Mac sold, youre guaranteed to have over nine thouzaaaaaand PCs taken home.

Now, I dont hate Macs, but as a PC user with a lot of experience and some (some) know-how, I just see a lot of marketing BS and a zerg rush of wet people who buy into it.

As for being ignorant. When I think of a Mac user, I imagine a trendy college student who types. When I think of a PC user, I imagine a nerdy guy who mods. Stereotypes, I know, but it tells a lot about what you can expect from either group. (Anticipating some hardcore know-how guy breach this thread and declare instant victory for Linux)

Comment

I thought this thread was about MGS iAcid, but now we're talking about PCs? WTF?
            Last edited by Helegad; 12-18-2008, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
              I thought this thread was about MGS iAcid, but now we're talking about PCs? WTF?
              No. Were on topic!

PC vs MAC

V

Mac = Apple

V

Apple ... iPod

V

iPod = MGS!

Win!

Comment

Originally posted by Member_of_STARS View Post
                Its more than likely to change, though. I mean, theres a decades-long battle of wits and resources on PCs end and MACs have been spared the fight only because theres statistically less of them. What happens when the tables are finally turned? Can you honestly say that Apple is well prepared to deal with the ammount of malware that is churned out for PCs? Its the same reason why Linux can tell the flock that its "secure".
                I fully agree, but the fact remains, that as of right now, the threat isnt there. The OSX userbase has grown this year, and the amount of threats has gone down (Just saw a story on the threats going down since last year a few weeks ago).

One of the basic things in Apples advertising is that youre able to do whatever you want, the way you want to. The more known catchphrase would be "Mac- it just works".

Could you say that if you take a person who has never used a computer in their life, that they would be able to use a Mac more comfortably?
                I do, but thats just because its laid out in a way that makes a whole hell of a lot more since then the Vista menu The benefit of OSX is also in iLife, with iPhoto and all that, which are all better pieces of software then whats included in Vista. It just works means you dont have to go and download software, which admittedly you do for Windows for many things (though again, its an old catchphrase, one that doesnt necessarily fully apply to today, as things have changed since it was used)

Hmm. A Macbook Pro, or an equivalent Mac laptop costs up to 3 times more here, than local laptop brands. When we compare high grade laptop brands prices to Macbooks, the price difference is still substantial.
                Local laptop brands will always be cheaper. And yeah, there is a price different, so Apples not perfect on that either, but the gap has closed a lot.

Ive been to college, I go to college. College students are by far THE spearhead in fashion.
                Must be different there, since the college students I see are just as poor as any other college student lol. Exceptions can be made for anyone though, whether they use a PC or a Mac

Naw, not a geek here per se. Just someone who has had to use a PC a lot for the past 5 years or so. Ive only come thus far because Ive had to do a lot of stuff I had no knowledge of.
                Hate to say it, but youre a geek lol. Sounds like the definition of myself really ;)

But the thing is, the original point still stands- its for the dummies. Its for the less know-how people who will panic as soon as something goes wrong. And instead of figuring out the problem on their own, they run to the service. Thats like an endless cycle, on how a *consumer* should behave. Exactly fitting the Apples image of a "cool product". Nothing wrong with it per se, but when the claims come in that its better at *this and that* (graphics design, music design), then its just odd. Is there anything I cant do with Photoshop CS2, that you can?
                Computers themselves are for dummies. The same people that will panic using OSX will still panic if they are using Vista or XP. Some people just dont want to service their computers, they just want someone that will fix it, and Apple will do that. Thats fair enough really. I have no idea how to fix my car, and have absolutely no intentions of figuring it out, so I take it to someone who can do the job in 30 minutes, rather then do it myself and fubar it

Yuck, Vista sucks the big one. The "back door deals" (wink wink) MS made with some laptop manufacturers is sickening. When they throw Vista on machines that technically cant run it, its just awful. Especially when you have to uninstall it and figure out that the manufacturer has scrapped all XP support (drivers and the likes) from their website...
                At this point, I honestly dont mind Vista. Its not a perfect operating system either, and Microsoft needs to sit down and say screw legacy and rebuild it the best they can, because in this case, its more of the same, with a bit more confusion on top of it for me

And this conversation is civil, no name calling going on or anything, and still related to Apple in some ways, so take note all you people who cant seem to have a good argument, this man knows how its done

Comment

Originally posted by Borman View Post
                  I fully agree, but the fact remains, that as of right now, the threat isnt there. The OSX userbase has grown this year, and the amount of threats has gone down (Just saw a story on the threats going down since last year a few weeks ago).
                  Some time ago, Apple advised its clientee to start installing protection software. Thats a serious suggestion and undermines their credibility when they use Microsoft as a benchmark for security.

Local laptop brands will always be cheaper. And yeah, there is a price different, so Apples not perfect on that either, but the gap has closed a lot.
                  The thing is, a MacBook Pro will go for nearly 2300 dollars here and for that money, I can get a gaming grade laptop with a superior cooling, un-underclocked GPU (Macs favourite method to increase battery life) and I can install software of my own choosing, not having to succumb to DRM for my MP3 and music library. I wouldnt say its closed down as much as people want it to be seen. I could even get a well equipped Vaio, a high grade brand for less than a MBP.

Must be different there, since the college students I see are just as poor as any other college student lol. Exceptions can be made for anyone though, whether they use a PC or a Mac
                  Fashion pioneers in the sense that what they use, how they look and their lifestyle, while the spearhead tries to convince everyone that they are original, its still vanity and fashion that they live by. I doubt that students at your college are all dressed modestly in shirts, trousers and skirts. If so, where do I sign up!

Hate to say it, but youre a geek lol. Sounds like the definition of myself really ;)
                  Perhaps, being informed is being a geek, haha.

At this point, I honestly dont mind Vista. Its not a perfect operating system either, and Microsoft needs to sit down and say screw legacy and rebuild it the best they can, because in this case, its more of the same, with a bit more confusion on top of it for me
                  Vista is hard for me to use, extremely difficult. I heard they were working on a new OS already and it was supposed to be a departure from the old, so well see. In order to make Vista usable, you need to have a Pentagon grade machine or you have to know how to tune it. Its amazing that one has to do that to make an op system usable. I still say XP is simple, theres not much you have to know to reach places.

And this conversation is civil, no name calling going on or anything, and still related to Apple in some ways, so take note all you people who cant seem to have a good argument, this man knows how its done
                  I got a 3 day ban for not being civil, remember? ;)

Comment

I don't support Apple products but I wanted to point out the flaw in saying it is for dummies simply because it isn't complicated. That is using a logical fallacy; the Apple OS system is simple therefore it is used by simple users, a false correlation that limits other qualities of the product based on ONE quality of the product. I think that Apple's OS is superior to Microsoft's in many regards and its largest drawback was not being thoroughly developed on. You will find many more options and open source projects directed towards the Windows platform, but that is changing. Both companies have been forced to assimilate positive qualities from each other to survive in the competitive market and we all can reap the benefits from it. I certainly hope that Microsoft ditches their legacy to make an operating system as lean and efficient as Apple's and I hope that Apple can create a more user friendly developing environment (which means kick back the DRM a little...).

As far as this iPhone game business. What a waste of a development team.

Comment

I liked WinXP just fine. The Explorer in Vista is really annoying. It keeps reverting back to classifiying docs and files by rating or artist no matter what I do. How about just name / type/size and last date modified???? That's all I want!!! Why I can't just change it ONCE and have it be like that in every damn folder??? :{

Why the hell would I rate content on my computer? Yeah sure, 1 out of 5 stars but I'm keepiing it on my Hard Drive anyway. Kind of pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Krispy View Post
                        I don't support Apple products but I wanted to point out the flaw in saying it is for dummies simply because it isn't complicated. That is using a logical fallacy; the Apple OS system is simple therefore it is used by simple users, a false correlation that limits other qualities of the product based on ONE quality of the product. I think that Apple's OS is superior to Microsoft's in many regards and its largest drawback was not being thoroughly developed on. You will find many more options and open source projects directed towards the Windows platform, but that is changing. Both companies have been forced to assimilate positive qualities from each other to survive in the competitive market and we all can reap the benefits from it. I certainly hope that Microsoft ditches their legacy to make an operating system as lean and efficient as Apple's and I hope that Apple can create a more user friendly developing environment (which means kick back the DRM a little...).

As far as this iPhone game business. What a waste of a development team.
                        Its an observation, not a statement of fact. I dont know a single person (in RL) who uses an Apple product simply because its technically superior. I dont get it where people come up with statements that somehow 3rd party design and editing software on PC are inferior to Macs when all of the most brilliant music, edited videos and mod projects that Ive seen (Ive seen a lot) have all been using 3rd party software on PCs.

For example- pure brilliance-

Stuntmen Legends is a Battlefield 2 Stuntmovie created by Simon Captiva. It took 7 Months to complete it, and over 2.000 workhours were spent. www.captiva.cc

Im not going to say here, that similar PC platforms offer superior perfomance in videogames and certain editing software, simply because those are more specialized.

Comment

As for being ignorant. When I think of a Mac user, I imagine a trendy college student who types. When I think of a PC user, I imagine a nerdy guy who mods. Stereotypes, I know, but it tells a lot about what you can expect from either group. (Anticipating some hardcore know-how guy breach this thread and declare instant victory for Linux)
                          I haven't used it in years, but it is the most stable OS I've worked with during my engineering days.

Funny thing is, having been in high school in the 90's, I worked on nothing but Macs for 4 years and well into the first year of college. Then I inevitably switched to PC.

Waaay back when Mac wasn't a fashion brand that is. I sort of get the distaste, but I'm beyond hating something because it's fashionable. If it works better, it's all good. Granted 99% of fashionable products (including CE) don't quite work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
                            I haven't used it in years, but it is the most stable OS I've worked with during my engineering days.
                            You mean Linux?

I knew some tech savvy gent will say so.
                            Last edited by Member_of_STARS; 12-18-2008, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Some time ago, Apple advised its clientee to start installing protection software. Thats a serious suggestion and undermines their credibility when they use Microsoft as a benchmark for security.
                              They've recommended it for years. That article that was big news because it was updated has been there for years. Better to be safe then sorry, Apple recognizes that they might as well have protection in place now, rather then after some major happens.

The thing is, a MacBook Pro will go for nearly 2300 dollars here and for that money, I can get a gaming grade laptop with a superior cooling, un-underclocked GPU (Macs favourite method to increase battery life) and I can install software of my own choosing, not having to succumb to DRM for my MP3 and music library. I wouldnt say its closed down as much as people want it to be seen. I could even get a well equipped Vaio, a high grade brand for less than a MBP.
                              The Macbook Pro is no doubt the least value consience choice out of Apples line up hah. And you can install any software you like, or choose not to buy DRM'd music (Something that isnt mutually exclusive to Apple anyway heh).

Comment

Working...
                              X