F.E.A.R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.E.A.R

I just finished it, and I'm impressed and unimpressed.

Impressed by:
    - Great shooter
    - Great graphics
    - Great effects
    - Fun, mindless killing game
    - Smashing out windows for no reason Addictive.

Unimpressed by:
    - Stupid story which is completely unengaging and confusing which left me saying "so what?" when the big plot points "Alma Wade" and "Player is first son", are revealed.
    - Difficulty of enemies and damage-taking.
    - Everyone hyped it up as "ooh so scary, the scariest FPS everz!!1!1!ONE!11!!!ELEVEN!!1!11. I completely disagree. There were only two or three times where I jumped or was scared. Pfft, scary.

Overall: 7/10. I expected more, but it got the Director's Cut and Extraction Point for $35 which is unbeatable Two extra points for that.

I'll post my review of Extraction Point when I'm done. Hopefully it'll be better.
    Last edited by Helegad; 12-21-2008, 09:38 AM.

F.E.A.R. lies,i see no fear in it
    then again it takes alot to scare me
    i agree with your reveiw though
    you should get S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow Of Chernobyl
    it RULES

Comment

Fear is a good game but has a lot of flaws, like adamb i suggest you to play Stalker or Crysis both of them are amazing.
      sigpic

Comment

Noone should EVER, EVER play STALKER without specific mods.

AMK mod and PLR realistic weapons mod. Most of the really cool features in the game have been disabled by the devs, AMK enables most of those and then expands on them. It becomes such a great experience that I personally spent 6 hours in Cordon alone. Roaming around, shooting crap up and doing sidequests. The firefight dynamics improve significantly and become addictingly engaging. Im not an advocate for realism, but for STALKER, it works. Playing without these two mods is wasting great game experience. Not to mention, one can always use Gnomus full screen scopes to add authenticity to the weapons. AI has been significantly improved and everything that is happening in the Zone, everyone gets informed of it, which makes the Zone become alive.

Personally, I found FEAR to be an excellent game. The story might not be as epic in size as MGS, but its gritty, has some great pseudorealism in it, combined with supernatural thriller elements. I didnt think the "twist" at the end was a "twist" per se, andSpoiler:

The "horror" or tention came from the setting of the game, amazing light play and atmosphere. Every firefight is a challenge (unless youre playing on anything below hard) and fighting "live" AI adds a lot to the experience. For example, even though FEAR is pretty damn old, even todays 10/10 games have such stupid AI that it breaks immersion.

Comment

I play stalker with oblivion lost 2.2 or whatever the current version is
          realistic weather mod and AMK
          i dont need PLR because i have my own realistic weapon's mod.

Comment

Right! I completely forgot about the weather mods. Some of them are breathtaking. And, not to mention the fact that nights are truly dark with those, so you find yourself planning all your trips to day time, so you can sleep at night.

Comment

F.E.A.R. is one of my favorite FPS games. The AI in it is pretty much unrivaled and the stage layouts (often bashed for being boring generic office layouts) offer some pretty fantastic variety and a rather huge amount of possibilities for how you "enter" a situation.

It's ofcourse worth noting that it's "best played" by being a sado-masochistic prick playing on Extreme Difficulty (And with only checkpoints, no additional saving/loading).

The expansions weren't really that great, although I love some of the tweaks they did (like the additional melee stuff). If you have a fetish for the whole slow-mo thing, you can also give TimeShift a spin. Not nearly as great, but some of the situations you'll have to deal with are pretty nice (although the overall execution is pretty ass at times).

Can't wait for F.E.A.R. 2 - Project Origin

Comment

I thought Project Origin was over? Everyone associated to the project except for Alma and the point man is dead. I hated Alma in the game. She wasn't scary, she was bloody annoying. Kept turning off the lights and making me use that piss-weak flashlight that only lasted 30 seconds before it needed a recahrge.

It should be called F.E.A.R 2: Shove A Pitchfork Up That Japanese Bitches Ass
                Last edited by Helegad; 12-21-2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

fear game is pretty sweet alma is a scary little girl the story is great the grapichs are where they should be Up high yup
                  and i cant wait for the newest fear game to come it looks even more kick ass

Comment

i have FEAR somewhere, it didn't scare me though, and some of the environments seemed a little bland, to much grey, but it was pretty cool though, but my PC sucks pretty much and it froze a lot when i played it.

but it is not as scary as everyone says it is, id say it was about as scary as Return to Castle Wolfentien.

Comment

RTCW is scary? I thought it was an action game...

Comment

RTCW is not scary either, it is an action game, but i just didn't find FEAR to be scary though, probaby cause it's in First Person, FPS's don't scare me.

Comment

RTCW sucks the old was so much better actully in the old one when i was younger i chould get a little jump new one sucks the old one is SUCH A BIG CLASSIC I LOVE IT !!!

post 200 YAAA
                          Last edited by rehunk88; 12-23-2008, 10:11 AM.

Comment

FEAR was an interesting game and being developed by Monolith Productions, I saw a few similarities here and there with the game "Condemned", lol

FEAR wasn't scary. It was creepy, much like Condemned was creepy.
                            Last edited by Project Omega; 12-23-2008, 10:23 PM.

Comment

F.E.A.R. is about as scary as Goldeneye....with that being said, it's a wonderful game. It's a solid shooter with amazing A.I. and great level designs. I honestly was upset when it was over because I had so much fun with it! I even went and rented the expansion pack games. I cannot wait for F.E.A.R. 2!

Comment

Working...
                              X