Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up

It may be hard to believe, but Resident Evil is not my #1 fandom. That honor belongs to the fearsome foursome. The mean, green machine. The heroes in a half-shell.

That's right.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

As such, the announcement of a brand new game starring the anthropomorphic reptiles is always a time of much rejoicing. Sadly, however, it has more recently almost always been followed by trepidation. Let's face it, our favorite ninjas (no, I'm not talking about Naruto and co.) haven't had the best of luck when it comes to video game iterations as of late, not counting the GBA game based on the recent cg movie. That was excellent.

So why am I so excited about this new title? Well, for one thing, it's being developed by GameArts, perhaps best known for their recent work on Super Smash Bros. Brawl (sorry Grandia fans). In addition, former members of Team Ninja will be lending their own fighting game sensibilities into the mix. It will be published by UbiSoft.

Each character will have their own unique fighting style. The stages will be interactive, allowing characters to swing on poles, run up and along walls, and various other feats of ninja magic. The environments will also provide their own dangers and challenges, such as wild crocodiles in the sewers which will attack players and attempt to eat them. Many of the environments are completely original, though several will be taken straight from Turtles lore.

The game is not tied to any particular era in the Turtles' history. While it uses the visual style of the recent cg movie, the developers will have access to all of the different iterations of the property, from the original black and white comics to the '90s cartoon to the new film. Confirmed playable characters so far include the four turtles (duh), Master Splinter, the Shredder, and Casey Jones, though UbiSoft is promising many more.

The game will also have online play, and the developers are hoping to improve upon the fundamentals laid down by their work on Brawl.

For an interview with the game's producer, head on over to IGN:

They also have several screenshots:

And the official trailer straight from Comic Con:

Some fun bit of trivia regarding the trailer. The fight between Leo and Raph seen in the trailer is actually the original, unused fight scene from TMNT. They had to tone it down a bit, because if they had left it as is, they wouldn't have been able to get a PG rating. Seriously.

And finally, here is the official website:

Oh my God...Super Smash Brothers with the TURTLES?! System-seller for me.

Comment

Well, if it's being handled by the developers of SSBB, it ought to be good. I think it would be cooler if they used the aesthetic of the original cartoon, instead of the CG movie style.
      Last edited by Corrin; 02-06-2009, 03:18 AM.

Comment

I remember the TMNT game on the SNES, the one just like street fighter...I loved that game!!! Good to see TMNT back doing another beat em up!!!!

Comment

I loved the old TMNT beat them up games like turtles in time. I am looking forward to this new game.

TURTLE POWER!!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X