Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midway: Bankrupt.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6204585...dlines;title;3

"After months of slowly twisting in the financial wind, Midway Games has finally filed for bankruptcy."
    That's what happens to a game company that doesn't make good games I guess. I'm personally happy it's gone tho, it was the living dead of the once-great video game companies. Rust in peace.

You realize that bankrupt doesnt mean its gone, right? Chapter 11: "Chapter 11 bankruptcy is available to any business, whether organized as a corporation or sole proprietorship, and to individuals, although it is most prominently used by corporate entities"

When a business is unable to service its debt or pay its creditors, the business or its creditors can file with a federal bankruptcy court for protection under either Chapter 7 or Chapter 11. In Chapter 7, the business ceases operations and a trustee sells all of its assets and distributes the proceeds to its creditors. In Chapter 11, in most instances the debtor remains in control of its business operations as a "debtor in possession", and is subject to the oversight and jurisdiction of the court.[1] The court can grant complete or partial relief from most of the company's debts and its contracts. Sometimes, if the business's debts exceed its assets, the bankruptcy restructuring results in the company's owners being left with nothing; instead, the owners' rights and interests are ended and the company's creditors are left with ownership of the newly reorganized company.
    Huge difference

Comment

midway isnt that bad they made mortal kombat which i love btw its my favorite fighting game
      up there with teken

but yha borman is right theres a diffrence between being out of buisness and bankrupcy

Comment

And nothing of value was lost.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

@ Borman

Nope man, didn't really know there was a difference at all. The Portuguese translation for "Bankruptcy" is "Falência", and that's pretty much "completely out of business" here. Thanks for shedding some light on that . So, according to Wikipedia, they filled in for Chapter 11, and they said "that it expects the bankruptcy protection to allow it to continue its normal business operations.". Let us hope that this encourages them to make a good game for once.

Comment

... I had a hard time remembering any of Midway's games. Any suggestions apart from Mortal Kombat?

Comment

Who didn't see this one coming?
              See you in hell.

Comment

... I had a hard time remembering any of Midway's games. Any suggestions apart from Mortal Kombat?
                Well, they made a couple of cool lightgun games for PS1. 'Maximum Force' and 'Area 51'.
                The Suffering 1 & 2, Roadkill, NARC, Spy Hunter 1 & 2 and um... I'm sure they made a lot of other good games too (I just thought of those titles looking over at my collection).

Comment

Ah yes, I've played The Suffering and Area 51. Both were very very average.

Comment

Aside from Mortal Kombat and those listed by Skunky... Defender, Gauntlet, Joust, Marble Madness, Paperboy, (Super) Smash TV, Primal Rage, San Fransisco Rush... just as a few. Midway spent a large time in the last generations releasing packs of titles under a Greatest Hits label and most of them were/are major hits.

Midway ceasing to be as it is a loss, unlike something like when Acclaim died (mostly because they'd been releasing junk, stating stupid comments, and putting out stupid promos for years).

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                      Midway ceasing to be as it is a loss, unlike something like when Acclaim died (mostly because they'd been releasing junk, stating stupid comments, and putting out stupid promos for years).
                      B-but Psychic Force!
                      See you in hell.

Comment

The management was/is crap and the way they oversaw production and put pressure on their employees has their former employees saying good riddance.

Rob, I'm pretty sure Primal Rage was Atari's. Anyway, the company has a lot of classics and they've made good efforts in recent times. Sans MK that is... old fans have finally given up on the series.

Comment

I gave up on Midway when Mortal Kombat went after 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                            Primal Rage.

OHHHHH!

I NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME AGAIN!

its been over 10 years since i played this game

i pretty sure ill buy it on ebay if its on the playstation which im pretty sure it was

damn i miss that game

Comment

Spoiler:

yep that's whats happening.

So yeah, they should just release another 2-D Mortal Kombat, make it better and bam you have instant money for 3/4ths the cost of a high end game such as MK vs. Dc.

Comment

Working...
                              X