Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House of the Dead Overkill

Overkill thread? Sure why not...
    I got my Bang Bang Box in the post this morning!
    It's the coolest package that I've had the pleasure of opening for a long time. Everything is presented with a retro kinda feel and it all looks GREAT!

I'm just charging up some batteries now and about to give it a blast. I've read some very good things about the game. Has anyone here got it yet?
    Here's some pics and I'll give my impressions later.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
    Overkill thread? Sure why not...
    I got my Bang Bang Box in the post this morning!
    It's the coolest package that I've had the pleasure of opening for a long time. Everything is presented with a retro kinda feel and it all looks GREAT!

I'm just charging up some batteries now and about to give it a blast. I've read some very good things about the game. Has anyone here got it yet?
    Here's some pics and I'll give my impressions later.
    damn i want that game it looks awesome

Comment

Originally posted by chris redfield View Post
      damn i want that game it looks awesome
      no is not this game is a rental BIG TIME ,7 levels if you seen grindhouse movie its just like that , i wish i didnt buy it but im stuck with it -_- , i can tell u more about it if u want?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by adamthegrave; 02-18-2009, 02:49 AM.

Comment

I've been told the gun casings in the box are exceptional and should have been released in that style (with actual triggers instead of putting a Wii button in place of the trigger) for the Wii a long time ago. My mate said it even made Umbrella Chronicles slightly more playable which was a surprise.

Comment

The game is a lot of fun!
          There is the story mode which isn't that long but they rarely are in this genre, the Director's Cut of the story mode with more stuff in it, 3 mini games which are all good fun and bonus video, music and image galleries.
          You get points for headshots, combos, saving civilians and pick ups and then spend those points in the 'gun shop' to buy and upgrade weapons. The game play is great and very satisfying. One of the pick ups is a 'slow mo' mode which last for several seconds and is REALLY COOL!
          The music and presentation is great but also incredibly crude. It's all, "mother f**king this, mother f**king that"... And the opening credits feature a stripper (not FMV but the real thing), which may turn some people off. The cutscenes are a crappy quality but quite entertaining and fit the whole B-movie thing.

But I would agree with Adamthegrave, that most people would be content with renting. A weekend of blasting away would satisfy most people. But I like this shit and I'm happy I bought it. Basically:
          *If you like lightgun, on-rails shooters, you will LOVE this game.
          *If you're neutral on the genre you should check it out. You might love it.
          *If you hate on-rails shooters, I doubt this will change your mind.

The Hand Canon gun shell is really good!

I've always found my Wiimote to be rather annoying. It jumps around the screen and is hard to control. I finished RE-UC but it was frustrating having to battle my 'crazy' Wiimote.
          Overkill has a calibration screen and when I first used it I realized something was seriously wrong. Long story short, I tried moving around my couch and the sensor bar and eventually had success... I used sticky tape to hang the sensor bar just above my TV and sat on a higher chair just behind my couch.
          It's a lot more accurate now. Not accurate like a Namco Guncon, nor accurate enough to turn off the cross-hairs but good enough to enjoy myself using the gun.
          I'm also keen to check it out on UC.

Comment

how does the gun compare to this: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=68825

also is this game better or on par with umbrella chronicles

Comment

how does the gun compare to this: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=68825

also is this game better or on par with umbrella chronicles
              Well, I don't have one of the 'Perfect Shots' so I can't compare them directly but it looks like a similar thing. Although, mine is bigger and looks a bit cooler.

It's different to UC. In some ways better, in some ways not as good. UC has higher production values and is a different pace and style.
              Overkill is faster and more 'arcade' like and dosn't take itself seriously at all. So far, I've found it more fun than UC. It's a lot easier to get headshots and the bonus games are a lot better (UC only had one and it sucked).

I like both games but besides both being on-rails shooters, they are really quite different. Overkill is the kind of game you will either love or hate.
              If in doubt, just give it a rent.

Edit: Seems a lot of others are loving this game too!

19 reviews for an average score of 8/10.
              Last edited by Skunky; 02-21-2009, 02:29 AM.

Comment

I wish I had a Wii. I've been watching the Making-Ofs and it looks like a really fun game

Comment

Just once I wish they would make a real action/ exploration game out of this series..the roller-coaster ride thing just bothers me.

Comment

is this something me and my dad could play? is the language terrible?

Comment

anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                        The music and presentation is great but also incredibly crude. It's all, "mother f**king this, mother f**king that"... And the opening credits feature a stripper (not FMV but the real thing), which may turn some people off.
                        I wouldn't advise playing with your dad.
                        Last edited by Canas Renvall; 03-02-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Yeah, this mother f**king game has a shitload of f**king swearing!!!
                          I wouldn't play it with your dad... Unless that mother f**ker is happy to listen to lots of f**king bad language.
                          F**k that Shit!

There are also some f**king smutty and vulgar cut scenes.

The swearing and shit is f**king over the top but it is pretty f**king funny in places. It's also 'kinda' addressed at the end of the game when they battle a real mother f**ker.

Even in the menus, during the music there is lots of f**king swearing. Some of it is f**king hilarious!

I think I've made my MOTHER F**KING point.

Comment

thanks for the reply. i just bought umbrella chronicles to play with him on the weekends since he cant handle the 360 or pc games because of all the buttons

Comment

Working...
                            X