Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDC 2009 Nintendo Keynote : New Zelda and stuff ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDC 2009 Nintendo Keynote : New Zelda and stuff ..

well surprised no one else has posted anything about this ..
    here's a few key points from their keynote ..

- Global shipments of Wii = 50 million, fastest selling hardware in history. So modest!

- Shocker: more 3rd party titles sold for Wii than any other platform last year. That is a LOT of shovelware, folks.

- Shows off slide of 3rd parties supporting Wii: Blizzard, Take 2, LucasArts, etc. Geez, nearly as many Balance Boards sold around the world as PS3 systems.

- "Complete storage solution for Wii." "WiiWare will remain a viable outlet for your games and ideas. Important for gamers, too."

Wii System 4.0 - at bottom of screen, there's an SD card icon that goes to a menu. Same
    12-item-per-screen layout, but there are 20 screens per SD card. 240 games total.

Menu 4 can handle high-capacity cards -- support for 32GB cards (!)

- Final video about to kick in.
    Train sounds.. it's Zelda on DS?
    Zelda railroad building adventure with dungeon goodness.
    OK, I guess they did show a new Zelda after all. I was wrong!
    Link has the ability to control/create enemies and make them fight enemies. Railroad mechanic is an extension of Phantom Hourglass boat system -- riding a rail and shooting cannons
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks is the title.
    Available later this year.
    Very Phantom Hourglass like, but hopefully with new and fresh ideas. The new weapons and skills look like a good start, but Link looks kind of odd in his little conductor's outfit.
    Closing comments directed to developers.
    And that's all, kids, go on home. Oh wait, you are home, reading this. FINE. I'll go home.

To summarize: New Zelda later this year. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years for WiiWare. Wii Virtual Console gets Arcade software (six launching in Japan, four here) and Final Fantasy (six in Japan, two or three here). As always, Nintendo likes to remind us westerners that we are lameasses who don't deserve nice things.

New Zelda looks better than my description probably makes it sound. Looks like a fairly traditional Zelda portable game, with puzzle dungeons and Phantom Hourglass-style touch mechanics. The train basically works like the boat in PH, running along the overworld (presumably on a rail defined by players). Enemy control mechanics look pretty nice -- link distracted a big Zora with a controlled shadow guard, then snuck around to hit it from behind.

Wii firmware 4.0 is available now, so go download that. Or at least sit and wait for Nintendo's servers to dish up content for you. I bet they're totally slammed.

The same franchise being churned out every year. Sounds like Nintendo.
    See you in hell.

Comment

well at least they update to include HCSD cards rather than piss us off later with the Wii with hard drive, maybe now we can have DLC

Comment

I've always wanted FFIV: The After Years since I read about it on Wikipedia.

...But really? Zelda on trains?

Pun intended: Nintendo's casualty rate is rising. D: But they still have good games coming out, at least.

Comment

OMG they just announce VC for the DSi. that means GB GBC and GBA games on the DSi...sadly this means hackers WILL find ways to use illegal roms sadly. im predicting the launch titles will be pokemon and zelda on the VC DSi

PS in kno way am i advocating hacking or piracy. im just stating the obvious
          Last edited by riderkid; 03-26-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

It would be a shame if SquareEnix didn't take the time to translate and release the original NES Final Fantasy II and III on the US Virtual Console. I believe FFII was being translated on the NES but then IV came along and they decided to move on to that project. I'm looking forward to FFIV: After years and the new FF:CC game sounds interesting as well. The SD feature is a definite plus for me since I love playing old school games.

Comment

Well I know there's two Zelda's game been devolp at the moment 1 for the Wii the other the DS I was hopeing it whould have been the Wii one but it was not im still happy I'll be getting it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                I've always wanted FFIV: The After Years since I read about it on Wikipedia.
                Final Fantasy IV - The After Years quite possibly ranks first as the ugliest official product ever made. Those screenshots they released look worse than some kid's shameless RPG Maker 2000 sprite/tileset rips.

A damn shame, really. 'cause I was actually somewhat looking forward to seeing this thing and was hoping they'd go for a full retro presentation with it. In stead... we got a hack job that could've only looked worse if it contained pixelated male genitalia doodled all over it.

Screenshots at this link

Look at that!

1. The character sprites use the battle style (or FFVI style, if you want. As a lot of the "new" ones are exactly that, redra... recolored FFVI sprites). This makes them totally clash with the background tilesets. The background tilesets are those of FFIV, a game that used 16x16 character sprites and not 16x24. So now you have character sprites breaking the "grid" (and being larger than doors and stuff).

2. The text boxes are ugly as hell and use MS UI GOTHIC font or something. Who's bright idea was it to totally break the style of everything by tossing in a high resolution font into the mix of heavily pixelated stuff?

3. The Widescreen implementation is terrible... I don't get why they haven't just done like Capcom did with Mega Man 9 (fully pixelated retro style in 4:3) beats me. The battle shots look terrible and I bet a lot of screens and cutscenes will look weird with the widescreen ('cause of weird camera focus is an event happens on the edge of a map. Changing things to fit this means they could've fixed other problems with the presentation). This game originally ran on cellphones, and probably played on resolutions from a tall 128x256 up to some weird cellphone resolution like 360x360. Whereas the original Final Fantasy IV probably ran at 256x224. Now... why not simulate a 256x224 (or 512x448), cut the widescreen, clean up the rough edges and make it look like Final Fantasy IV? (of course, the background tilesets vs character sprites could take half a forever to "fix", as they'd either need to do adjustments to match the 16x24 characters or do 16x16 map sprites for everyone)

PS: In case you didn't notice - there's an INN in the third picture of FFIV-TAY.

Comment

Zelda's about as gimicky as Sonic nowadays, just add new weapon/item or theme to it and watch the masses of fanboys go out and buy it.

Hardly the Killer App Nintendo needs, had it been Wii, maybe it'd have been a different story.

Comment

Wii Zelda reveal for E3, maybe? (Or probably TGS, I guess)

Anyway, I'd say that the Zelda games have a much higher production value (and entertainment value) than any Sonic title has had since... like... Sonic Adventure

Comment

Working...
                    X