Bioshock or Dead Space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioshock or Dead Space?

I was discussing 360 games with my friend and we were talking about the game we are playing at the moment. I am playing Dead Space and was recommending it to him, and in return, he recommended Bioshock to me.

I've been curious about that game before he talks about it, and now that he hyped that game to me, I've pretty much confirmed it to be my next game purchase after Street Fighter 4 (which I'll get in few days time). However, I'm still curious: Which do you think is the better game? Which of the games have you enjoyed more?

I enjoyed Bioshock a lot more than Dead Space, it just felt more....fun for me.

Comment

Dead Space is a good survival horror game and all, but Bioshock shits all over it if you talk better game. It's surprising you haven't played it yet.

Comment

I liked both of them a lot for different reasons and I don't really like either more than the other. Bioshock I loved for it's story and twists. Dead Space I loved more for it's gameplay and horror, however the story wasn't that bad either.

All in all, I'd say both games are worthwhile playing and recommend both of them.

Comment

BioShock is the better in every way except, possibly, scares. And gore, if you like that sorta thing. This is not to say that Dead Space is anyway bad. It's simply saying that BioShock is that damned awesome.

They should both be pretty cheap though. Grab 'em both second hand.

Comment

I played Bioshock last year on my computer and never finished it. It was a great game, but my pc sucks and that's probably why i never finished it, cos of all the lag and stuff, but now that i have a x360, i've been thinking that i'd give it a try again. Dead Space was also great.

Comment

definately dead space becaus i never really got into bioshock for some reason, im not sure why i just didnt think it was that good

Comment

Bioshock for sure. The story, visuals, gameplay, etc. are stunning. Like others are saying, it's not that Dead Space is bad, just that Bioshock is better.

Comment

I loved dead Space, but now that I'm done with it (there is nothing more I can get from it) I want Bioshock, I whant to buy it as soon as posible, but I haven't had the chance, noone I know is going to usa soon, so it's more dificult. I reasentlly got Gears 2 and Lost: Via Domus thanks to a friend of my parents who brought them to me, I wasn't expecting Lost, I wanted Bioshock, but... it was a misunderstanding and I got lost, though it wasn't THAT bad..... well... yes, it was a stupid game, I love the series and all, but it was really lame.

Comment

Would actually dare to say I think Dead Space is a better game.

There are some (understatement) nice things in BioShock, but in general I don't like how it holds your hand a bit too much (thank God for the update patch, you fucking vita chambers). Another thing I never liked about BioShock is the enemy AI. The Big Daddies are mostly fine (but maybe a bit too easy to get them stuck on objects?), but the fact that most enemies have their homing beacons set on you the moment they've been made aware of your presence (sometimes they don't even that)... and enemies with firearms that just magically know where you are at all times just aren't that great.

The "hacking" system in BioShock got old pretty darned quickly too.

Did my initial playthrough on Hard for both games and found Dead Space to actually be much more enjoyable on the technical and balancing side of things. Also love how I often found myself running very short on ammo during my initial playthrough. Only ever had one annoying moment in Dead Space (cannon mounted on ship sequences. Mostly 'cause of the controls). In BioShock not only did the enemies bother me, but what you may call "boss fights" in it were all mostly easier to me than the average run in with some pissed off enemies.

Both games have great atmosphere going for their setting and BioShock is especially a real visual treat if you've got a powerful computer to run it on with max settings.

Yeah... I'm one of those who love to crank up the difficulty in a game to the highest available during the initial playthrough. You quickly get to see how "good" a game really is that way (and depending on what type of resistance I meet, I'll either keep push forward, throw the game away or kick it down a notch until I've got the skills)

Comment

Bioshock and Dead Space are both very different games, but they both have some fairly similar and irritating quirks. One thing they have in common is the tedious as hell environments. Wether you are in a monolithic space hulk or an underwater city, every corridor looks the same as the last and it quickly becomes uninspiring and boring, not to mention confusing. I could only play either for an hour or two at a time before it started feeling like a chore.

Having said that, i believe that Dead Space is an infinitely better game than Bioshock. Bioshock claimed an 'endless array of possibilities' involving the plasmids, but all it really boiled down to was a samey and very obvious pattern of "hey, set splicer on fire and then electrocute the water as he jumps in". It wasn't very imaginative at all. The splicers were also extremely boring to fight and the differences between each brand were minimal. Some could climb on walls, others could teleport, but they all had the same attack patterns and about three personalities between them. And besides Big Daddies, they were the ONLY enemies in the game.

Also, the 'moral choice' system within the game is extremely limiting. There's no black and white, you're either an absolute angel or pure fucking evil. You are sometimes faced with a 'difficult' choice of either saving a little sister from her current state, or absorbing her into Adam (A sort of genetic currency used to buy upgrades, a great idea really) - So much as absorb ONE little sister during the course of the game, and you are atuomatically on course for the games 'bad' ending, which is just as short and anticlimatic as the 'good' ending, and twice as vague. I actually played through the game TWICE just to see that, too... I guess i'm the real idiot around here.

The final straw for me was discovering that a certain door would only open for Big Daddies, and subsequently having to go through the very tedious task of 'becoming' a big daddy merely to get through a fucking door. Jesus christ! After that, i thought the worst was over, but i was then forced to follow a little sister who moved at a snails pace through an extremely tracherous corridor. She regularly got killed by splicers (At least i think she did, she just dissapeared since showing a little sister model ragdolling is far too controversial, apparently... the mind baffles.) and i regularly exhaled breaths of boredom. The game turned from an atmosphertic adventure into a babysitting mission far too quickly.

Dead Space has several advantages over Bioshock. It has a more effective and more interesting weapon set, more diverse and deadly enemies and it also has a couple of interesting gameplay elements dependant on various environmental circumstances - Sometimes you have to make your way through gravity free zones and latch on to various surfaces using your magnetic boots. It's really fun, and actually very intense when you have nasty flesh tearing aliens floating around aimlessly, and you constantly keep your fingers crossed during the gravitational leaps hoping that you don't collide with one... There's also many ruptured corridors in the vast Space Hulk that are deplete of oxygen, and you need to make your way through them before your supply runs out. It's very scary because the vaccum eliminates all sound bar a low rumble and you can never tell when enemies are nearby.

It also has bosses, the resolutions to chapters actually feel like resolutions, and the game has and a definite feel of progress throughout. You feel like the things you are doing actually matter towards your survival as opposed to just being value changers in the story.

To summarise, Dead Space has advantages in gameplay, storyline, scares, atmosphere and just about everything. It just suffers from a lack of imaginative environments for extended periods of time. It's a much better game than Bioshock, and i'm really suprised that Bioshock was recieved as well as it was.
                      Last edited by Gideon Quinn; 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

bioshock is by far better than dead space its not as scary but it has better stroy line, gameplay and graphics but i like dead space aswell

Comment

Dead Space for sure, i think Bioshock is very overated. i heard bioshock was great and my brother got it, i started playing it and thought the artwork was amzing and the levels were awesome. But after a while i just realized it's just another FPS, and it wasn't that fun to play either after a while, i got bored of it and never ended up finishing it.

Dead Space on the other hand is brilliant, it's easily the best game this generation, oonce i started playing i just could not put it down.

Comment

Bioshock had more replay value for me...I guess it was the feeling of exploring Rapture like it was an actual place. That and the enviroment was just so...involving? With the records laying around everywhere, it just sealed the deal for me.

And the Big Daddies were freakin' epic. Them and the Little Sisters were the creepiest part of the game, IMO.

Dead Space made you feel more isolated than Bioshock. Yes, you have a team...but nine times out of ten you can't even really reach them. They're behind glass talking to you, or are just disembodied voices over your communicator.

In Bioshock, you had Andrew Ryan, Atlas, Tennenbaum, and the Little Sisters.

I dunno. I liked Bioshock more so because of the character development.

Spoiler:

Dead Space...I didn't really get that feeling so much.

Comment

System Shock 2. [/thread]
                              See you in hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X