Lara Croft: Gaming Icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkMemories View Post
    Anyway, I agree that Lara Croft is a bigger gaming icon than Master Chief. Hell, Jill Valentine's a bigger icon than Master Chief. Honestly, outside of the circles who obsessively claim "lolz Halo is the roxorz", how many people really pay much attention to the story of Halo, much less the protagonist's name? I guarantee you most people just call him "that guy from Halo".
    I would agree that Jill's name is more well known than the Master Chiefs name, because no one really knows his name other than halo fanboys, While Jill has been in movies too, and has been in many more games than the Master Chief has.

Does anyone even know if Halo has a story? I've never really played it other than a few times at my friends on multiplayer, it kinda sucks. Worst FPS ever i think.

I think Halo in itself is popular, but not the Master Chief, no way. Even on those crappy GameFAQs battles he never gets further than the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
      I would agree that Jill's name is more well known than the Master Chiefs name, because no one really knows his name other than halo fanboys, While Jill has been in movies too, and has been in many more games than the Master Chief has.
      Master Chief has his own franchise while Jill is part of an ensemble cast and don't forget that Master Chief put the X-Box on the map, that's huge!!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aris13 View Post
        Master Chief has his own franchise while Jill is part of an ensemble cast and don't forget that Master Chief put the X-Box on the map, that's huge!!!!!
        No. Halo put Xbox on he map. Not master chief. And it's not that big of an achievement since the Xbox didn't really have any games that weren't on PS2 or PC anyway.

And actually Halo is not master chiefs franchise anyway, have you not heard of Halo Wars, or ODST? That's like saying Doom is Doom Marines franchise.
        Last edited by missvalentine; 06-11-2009, 04:15 AM.

Comment

And actually Halo is not master chiefs franchise anyway, have you not heard of Halo Wars, or ODST? That's like saying Doom is Doom Marines franchise.
          I'm not the biggest fan of Master Chief either but let's face it the guy has become a video game icon of our generation and Jill is nothing but a wash out at this point, she was popular back in the "RE 3" days.

BTW, ODST and Halo Wars are spin off titles.

Does anyone even know if Halo has a story? I've never really played it other than a few times at my friends on multiplayer, it kinda sucks. Worst FPS ever i think.
          You're going to judge the whole game just from the "few times" that you played it on multiplayer? Oh dear....

Spoiler:
          sigpic

Comment

Lara Croft? Pfft. It's all about Nathan Drake now.

See you in hell.

Comment

In the 1990s, a national survey found that Mario was more recognizable to American children than Mickey Mouse.
              - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario

I know that wikipedia isn't the font of all knowledge, but it is at least referenced.

Lara's got a loooooooong way to go before she hits Super Mario levels. I don't think she ever will, because her games aren't all that great. And John's right, it's all about Nathan Drake now anyway.

I think anyone that thinks Jill is more recognizable than Master Chief needs their head checked. I'm not a fan of Halo, but don't think anyone that's being remotely objective could seriously argue that Jill Valentine is more recognizable than Master Chief. If you limited the comparison to Japan only, she might win, but world-wide no way.

From what I heard about the Halo 3 launch in the US, where there was Halo meals and Burger King (or a similar chain, I'm not sure which one), and a Halo-branded Mountain Dew, that will get Master Chief streets ahead of Jill.
              Even if they don't know his name, even if people know him as 'Halo guy' or something similar, it gets the brand name out there for Microsoft - mission accomplished.

From what I can tell, Jill's been put on some limited run zippo lighters exclusively in one country, which enthusiasts like me really have trouble tracking down because so few were made. Since 1999 (ie. A whole decade ago) she's been shelved as the face of the series, and I doubt she'll be used in marketing the series again.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aris13 View Post
                I'm not the biggest fan of Master Chief either but let's face it the guy has become a video game icon of our generation and Jill is nothing but a wash out at this point, she was popular back in the "RE 3" days.
                You may be right, but why then does Jill consecutively beat Master Chief in those GameFAQs popularity character battles? And this is GameFAQs were talking about! You know that site inhabited by suger junkie kids who can't go six seconds without calling someone a noob or fraging something.

You're going to judge the whole game just from the "few times" that you played it on multiplayer? Oh dear....
                Um.. yeah, I tried to play single player and was bored before i finished a level even.

I don't like it because of it's extremely unrealistic gameplay and it's "fragfests".

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                  Lara Croft? Pfft. It's all about Nathan Drake now.
                  Why do people keep saying that? I must admit, I haven't played Uncharted, but from what I've heard and what I've saw on gameplay movies, Uncharted is more like Gears of War in adventure style rather than Tomb Raider with male character. Tomb Raider is more about platform jumping, environmental puzzle solving and finding your way from point A to point B, while Uncharted is more about shooting and fighting people.

The only thing that those both series have in common is the environment - jungle, ruins etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post
                    I haven't played Uncharted.
                    All that needs to be said, as much of an elitist prick that makes me sound. Ripe opportunity there for you to follow up by quoting, "...much of an elitist prick that makes me sound" and then reversing the same arguement back at me. That's what I would do, by the way. But do, do play Uncharted. It's very different from Gears of War, it's the spiritual successor to Tomb Raider. Uncharted has plenty of platforming, a hell of a lot of it actually.
                    See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post
                      Why do people keep saying that? I must admit, I haven't played Uncharted, but from what I've heard and what I've saw on gameplay movies, Uncharted is more like Gears of War in adventure style rather than Tomb Raider with male character. Tomb Raider is more about platform jumping, environmental puzzle solving and finding your way from point A to point B, while Uncharted is more about shooting and fighting people.

The only thing that those both series have in common is the environment - jungle, ruins etc.

There's your problem right there.

How you could compare Uncharted to Gears of War is beyond me, no offense but there nothing alike. From what I've played of Uncharted it isn't much about shooting at all. It's Is all about platforming, figuring out puzzles and finding your way from point A to point B.

I need to go buy that game soon, i love it.

Comment

Ok, note to myself: don't talk about games you haven't play :|.

How you could compare Uncharted to Gears of War is beyond me
                        I was talking about the shooting gameplay, ie. usually take cover - shoot - take cover - shoot, because that what I saw most of the times when watching videos from the game.

But it seems I'm wrong so I will now just shut up.
                        Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 06-11-2009, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Bah, what happened to the Poland that resisted? You're not France! So what if missvalentine is the Soviet Union and I'm Nazi Germany, there's still a reason to fight!
                          See you in hell.

Comment

I never did find Lara "hot". Never. I mean look at her! That thing barely passes for a human being. Not to mention the fact that she is, all in all, a shitty character (now even more shitty with her Americanization and loss of her quirky, playful attitude).

Aya Brea is still better.
                            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                              Aya Brea is still better.
                              Never been good at this internet lingo...but QFT!

However, Lara Croft is the more recognizable character. Especially in England, where they failed to bring out the first game. Ah, my sweet, sweet imported copy, how I love thee.

Comment

Drake is hotter than Lara Croft.

"Did somebody say 'Dude Raider'?"

Comment

Working...
                                X