PS3 Slim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 Slim?

It has been rumored for a while. Sony is lagging behind in the console race, a race that I myself don't give a shit about, but the fact is that they are deep in 3rd place right now behind the Wii and 360.

After a 'slim' PS3 had been talked about on the internet for months, a photo of the system's supposed box was 'leaked':

When Engadget posted the picture on their site, they received a cease and desist order from a 'mysterious' Chinese law firm: http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/18/s...ease-and-desi/

Dear Sir,

We just find that the following web pages on your website contain some
    confidential document and photos, which were highly possibly illegally
    released and posted:

(redacted)

We are investigating this violation and will bring all necessary legal
    actions regarding this matter. In order to protect the confidential
    information and prevent you from further legal issues and
    infringements, please immediately remove those pages and keep our
    request confidential. If you have any question regarding this issue,
    please feel free to contact us.

Your cooperation is deeply appreciated.

Best regards

Soon after, another 'leaked' photo hit the web, this one showing the system off out of the box:

Then, not too long ago, a new PS3 bundle at Best Buy was announced. An 80GB console packaged with two of the best exclusive games the system has to offer, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots and Killzone 2:

A desperate attempt to move consoles, or a desperate attempt to clear the 80GB's off the shelves to make way for the new PS3's slim redesign?

And now...this new video shows the alleged PS3 Slim in the flesh, from some 'underground' store in the Phillippines.
    Get it while it's hot, because who knows how long this will be up:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The PS3 is not even three years old yet, and an apparent redesign is on the way. What does everyone think? I believe, depending on the specs of the system, that this could really start moving some consoles. After that, all we have to wonder(if this is real) is just how much the console will retail for. That's the scary part.

This is old.

Comment

I never said the pictures or story itself were new. The video, however, is new. It was posted today. Also, there is no topic about this on the site, so I decided I'd post it and open up some discussion.

Your post is the epitome of unnecessary.

Comment

Slimming down the monster that is the PS3 is certainly nice, but the more important question is the price drop. If the Slim costs as much as the current models, then it's not unreasonable to assume that the current models will receive a price drop to at least empty out Sony's remaining stock. It'd be nice if the Slim was the one which cost less, but I don't really see that happening.

But even if there isn't a price drop of any kind, I imagine we'll continue to see deals like the one posted above (the PS3/MGS4/KZ2 bundle), while the Slim will likely be sold by itself, at least initially.

If, however, the Slim is cheaper and fully backwards compatible, then I might actually consider getting another PS3.

Comment

ugh, that looks ugly as sin ..

A desperate attempt to move consoles, or a desperate attempt to clear the 80GB's off the shelves to make way for the new PS3's slim redesign?
          isnt that just a Best Buy only bundle ?
          Last edited by A-J; 07-12-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

The biggest selling point here is that it's 'Slim' -- but is it slim only in appearance, or in some technical aspects as well? I'm not sure what they could take away from the system(maybe a much smaller hard drive, a la the Xbox 360 Arcade which doesn't even have one?), but if they remove some functions, then a price drop is absolutely necessary. Otherwise...I think we're looking at a cosmetically-enhanced PS3 for at least $500.

Comment

I almost hope it's real if just for the matte finish. The glossy finish of the current model attracts dust like nobody's business.

Comment

I bet that this slim model will not have blue-ray. I heard that they were going to take that feature out of newer PS3 as a way to drive the cost down and I have a feeling that this slim model won't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stars1356 View Post
                  I bet that this slim model will not have blue-ray. I heard that they were going to take that feature out of newer PS3 as a way to drive the cost down and I have a feeling that this slim model won't have it.
                  But wouldn't that mean it wouldn't be able to read games, since those are BluRay as well? Granted, I have no idea how this type of thing actually works, so I guess it's possible for them to remove the ability to play BluRay movies without affecting the system's ability to play games.

It actually wouldn't bother me if they removed the BluRay player, though. I can't tell the difference between a BluRay movie and a regular dvd, anyway.
                  Last edited by Archelon; 07-12-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

To be honest I'm not sure if the drive that reads the game and the movie is the same or not but this is something that the manager at my local gamestop told me about rumors of sony removing the blu-ray function to make the PS3 cheaper.

Comment

A blu-ray-less PS3 is impossible. PS3 games are on blu-ray discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stars1356 View Post
                        ... this is something that the manager at my local gamestop told me about rumors of sony removing the blu-ray function to make the PS3 cheaper.
                        A wee bit of a simpleton that man, since the drivers of the BD specs cost little compared to the physical drive. It's still one of the best players on the market, and the trojan horse that won the BDA the format war.

Not to mention what Chris said already, the games are on BD.

Anyway, this is real and the pic shown is of a prototype shell, or half of it rather. Given the quality of the pic, they may still keep the piano finish but there are several hardware revisions that can trim costs. Whether that's passed on to the consumer is another matter, but given how publishers are pressuring Sony (Kotick wasn't subtle), it's more than safe to say it's a matter of time. But I do like the current design a lot aside from the piano finish.

I'm gonna say announced at the TGS. They do have a pretty good lineup from all parties this year.

PS2 BC is still unlikely. That patent from last month tells us nothing really since the problem with the emulation isn't the EE, but the eDRAM bandwidth on the GS. They can selectively release titles on the PSN that didn't abuse the fill rate (that sets aside the best looking games on the system), but that's about it.

Seriously though, the people who don't have BC units aren't missing anything. It's sub par, and if you're using HDMI, it's worse since there is an input lag that's quite noticeable with music games and fighters. I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 white unit with the dragon print... I would've gladly sold my launch units for it.

EDIT:

Otherwise...I think we're looking at a cosmetically-enhanced PS3 for at least $500.
                        What makes you think that they're going to increase the price? Manufacturing costs do go down without the need to cut back on any features (unlike the one in 07 but that was forced and sudden). The cost reduction model is there, but they haven't implemented it.. yet.
                        Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 07-12-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

What does everyone think of the validity of this slim PS3? Is there any chance it's fake?

Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
                          What makes you think that they're going to increase the price? Manufacturing costs do go down without the need to cut back on any features (unlike the one in 07 but that was forced and sudden). The cost reduction model is there, but they haven't implemented it.. yet.
                          The 160GB Uncharted bundle that's out right now is $499, so there wouldn't really be an increase.

Comment

What does everyone think of the validity of this slim PS3? Is there any chance it's fake?
                            nope, considering sony's PS hardware track record, a slim unit is pretty much guaranteed, but i doubt it'll look like the mock up's in this topic

Comment

I find it rather funny that the magazine shots are Chinese, the country that pirates consoles more than whores have sex.

And why is it the Phillipines that get this model?
                              Oh well, I doubt it even exists yet until notice by Sony.

Oh yeah, and I think it was Kotaku that had it up, or some other site, and they got told to pull it down, by a Chinese company.
                              Oh well.

China + Technology = Pirated.
                              Last edited by Gradon; 07-13-2009, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X