New Xbox Live Dashboard Update coming August 11th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
    Hey Carn, can you explain the 'ratings system' a bit more?
    You can rate games, videos and various content on the marketplace with a stars system now. (0 -> 5 stars) (You press... X on an object on the marketplace to set your rating. You can also re-rate stuff later if you want to)

You have a new sorting option on the marketplace that lets you sort stuff by rating. So it'll show you the stuff people a lot of people have given 5 stars first.
    The difference between this and the popular ones is that a game with almost no downloads, but a perfect 5 star rating can pop up first.

Of course, with the stars rating system just having been implemented, there's a lot of random stuff having high ratings as no one's bothered with the low ratings, etc... So it'll need some time before it's accurately in effect. +Of course, there'll always been some overhyped stuff that will receive a max rating by half the universe (so I still wonder how exactly they'll handle the countless GoW and Halo 5 star ratings vs, say, a perfect few 5 star ratings of some tiny unheard of XBLA game)

But, yeah, it's a new marketplace sorting option. Kinda like rating videos on YouTube.

Comment

Have downloaded and installed the update, i can't see any changes other than the marketplace being slightly quicker for me. I'd pretty much given up using the store in place of using the web based marketplace, so much easier to use now.
      Hey Carn, can you explain the 'ratings system' a bit more?
      You rate things. You see an item, you're given the option to give it one to five stars, which will then be added to whatever ratings have already been submitted, leaving an average rating.

Comment

This is interesting.

The new NXE update has better detection for dummy data + no longer uses fixed install sizes for smaller games.

Currently deleted all installed games on my HDD and reinstalling them now.

[edit]
        So far (before | after)

Banjo Kazooie - 6,6gb | 6,2gb
        Bionic Commando - 6,8gb | 6,5gb
        Burnout Paradise - 3,4gb | 2,8gb
        Golden Axe - 6,4gb | 6,1gb
        Red Faction: Guerrilla - 6,5gb | 6,4gb

Guess they removed the pre-fixed minimum (3,4gb) in the case of Burnout, and that they now have a better system for detecting dummy space or something in the disc/file structure.
        Last edited by Carnivol; 08-01-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
          Like WeskerIncarnate said; There wont be any "launch day" releases (yet, at least)

Yeah. They've confirmed that Games on Demand will use the same DRM as any other purchase content on Xbox LIVE has. Which means that the content will tie itself to two things:

1. Your Xbox LIVE account.
          2. The console it was initially purchased/downloaded on.

This means that a game will be playable on a system as long as the LIVE account that bought it is signed in (online) on the console, or if you're playing it on the console it was initially purchased/downloaded on (with any account, even offline)
          I don't like it at all. It's messed up at times where I can't play or use something because my brother downloaded the content.

See, when you do download something on XBL, accounts already on the Xbox may use them. However, if the accounts are recovered to another Xbox and brought back, it seems to reset it self.

This happened when I had to get my Xbox repaired. Now I can't play Doom or use the COD4 map pack on my accounts. It's ridiculous.

All DRM has done is made it more of a hassle to install a game, and with SecuROM, the software gets invasive. While I know it is a bit different in the case of a console, DRM, in reality, is just code waiting to be cracked.
          Last edited by WeskerIncarnate; 08-02-2009, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeskerIncarnate View Post
            See, when you do download something on XBL, accounts already on the Xbox may use them. However, if the accounts are recovered to another Xbox and brought back, it seems to reset it self.
            Like I said, the content is only tied to the console itself + the account that bought it.

Originally posted by WeskerIncarnate View Post
            This happened when I had to get my Xbox repaired. Now I can't play Doom or use the COD4 map pack on my accounts. It's ridiculous.
            Solution: Use the license transfer feature to re-license your content to the new console (this should already have been done when you had it in for service, re-downloading might solve the problem.)

Comment

Hey, I'm just gona go ahead and ask this here: is anyone else having problems downloading 1vs 100? When I try to, it says: you can't download this at the moment, please try later (or something like that), why is it?

Comment

I'm in a non-1vs100 region, so I can't play it (or, well, I haven't tried to leech it from a region that can and see what happens if I try to play it)

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                  Like I said, the content is only tied to the console itself + the account that bought it.
                  Only the content itself is. When my brother first bought Doom on his account, as a result of me not having one yet, when I made my account soon enough, I was able to play Doom on that account. It was an Xbox Live account, by the way. He also downloaded the Variety map pack for COD4. That also worked on my account. I was even able to play movies bought on his account. I can't redownload anything from his account, though. If he decides to delete it, I'd have to go to his account and redownload it there, if that's what you mean.

When I got my system back from repair, guess what? I was not able to play the full game of Doom or use the COD4 map pack on my account. That is my problem.

Solution: Use the license transfer feature to re-license your content to the new console (this should already have been done when you had it in for service, re-downloading might solve the problem.)
                  I tried redownloading. Did not work. And the license transfer FAQ says that the content should have already been relicensed after a refurbish or repair, in which this does not seem to be the case. So I will try that tool, thank you.
                  Last edited by WeskerIncarnate; 08-02-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Just downloaded the update. Immediate first impressions: why is everything loading SLOWER for me than before?

Comment

Just downloaded the update. Immediate first impressions: why is everything loading SLOWER for me than before?
                      I took your performance

Comment

I got the update.
                        I wasted some extra MS points I had and bought a giant cotton swab.

Comment

The avatar marketplace is ridiculous. I try to dress my avatar as closely possible as I would in real life, and I really don't think I'd wear a Master Chief helmet or Storm Trooper t-shirt.

...not that I'd buy any of that crap anyway. I'll never do that again, ever since downloading Chris's entire RE5 outfit in PlayStation Home.

Comment

Originally posted by BLSR1 View Post
                            I got the update.
                            I wasted some extra MS points I had and bought a giant cotton swab.
                            I got a BioShock 2 T-Shirt.

You know, it'd be nice to have something like the Playstation Home on Xbox 360. The only reason I'd even think of buying a PS3 is the fact that it can play PS1, 2 and 3 games. All games from all consoles.

But they removed it. I wonder if that even constituted a price drop itself, cause I'm not paying Sony crap until we see one.

I'm very content with the PS2 I now own, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X