The Max Payne games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Max Payne games.

I wanted to make this thread to discuss the Max Payne games as a whole. 1,2, the upcoming 3, and the (shitty)movie. To begin could someone please tell me why people are ripping on MP3 when we know so little about it?

Because, as for now, the games looks nothing like previous Max Payne games. Max's design (bald guy with beard and white dirty shirt), the story (or at least what we know about it), the setting (no more New York in night), lack of this Noir feeling etc. Also, Remedy isn't working on it, Sam Lake isn't responsible for the script and James McCaffrey doesn't voice Max anymore.

The game might still be great, of course, and it can turn out to be the greatest Max Payne game ever... but for now it seems that everything that created this specific atmosphere in two previous games is nowhere to be found in Max Payne 3.
    Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 08-31-2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Do people even know what São Paulo looks like?

Comment

I know how the city looks like (that is: saw photos). However, on the screens that was shown the setting looks nothing like that; those screens showed rather something like the village taken straight from the first chapter of RE5.

As I've said, the game may turn out to be great, but for now I'm rather sceptic about it because they haven't shown anything that would scream "hey, it's good old Max Payne" yet, rather "hey, it's a generic tpp shooter #1352 with 'Max Payne' title slapped on".
        Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 08-31-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Thats one level though. And Max looks the same apart from the fact he looks like his life has been shit for the last 12 years.

Comment

Dude, existing thread.

Comment

Sorry I was trying to make a thread for all things Max Payne.
              Last edited by jagger916; 08-31-2009, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Never been a max payne fan but loved playing in the PC the first one I think when you see his family die.

Comment

Max Payne is one of my favourite games of all time, and the titular character is my favourite ever.

I cannot express enough how disappointed I am with the turn the series has taken; I mean, the movie was a big fat "Fuck you" to all the fans. Seemed to me that Remedy sold out their biggest franchise for a fast buck.

I'm not exactly hyped about the third game for reasons previously stated, but we'll see if I can be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash141 View Post
                    I mean, the movie was a big fat "Fuck you" to all the fans. Seemed to me that Remedy sold out their biggest franchise for a fast buck.
                    Um, not to sound like a dick or anything, but Remedy, I'm pretty sure, had no say with the movie, since the IP is actually owned by Rockstar to begin with. The current Max Payne 3 is Rockstar's decision--otherwise, we'd be getting a real Max Payne sequel from Remedy in a couple more years. The only thing one can fault with Remedy is that they've taken far too long on Alan Wake( but Payne history buffs know that Remedy took almost 4-5 years making the first one).

The bottom line though, is Rockstar should have just let Remedy get back to Max after finishing Alan Wake, but despite all their claims about making "art" games, it's pretty evident all Rockstar cares about iis big green. Though, to me, it seems like it's going to be a mistake to underestimate the original Payne fans. A couple more years of waiting for a real sequel by Remedy woudln't have been a big fuss.

More or less, Rockstar has effectively Alien 3'd Max Payne. Killing off Mona--moving it FAR away from its origions without any clear progression. Yeah, that's why fans aren't like me aren't happy. There's not really even any real crediblity to this title given the fact Sam Lake isn't invovled, nor Max's original VA. How the hell can you change those things and not expect displeasure?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
                      Um, not to sound like a dick or anything, but Remedy, I'm pretty sure, had no say with the movie, since the IP is actually owned by Rockstar to begin with. The current Max Payne 3 is Rockstar's decision--otherwise, we'd be getting a real Max Payne sequel from Remedy in a couple more years. The only thing one can fault with Remedy is that they've taken far too long on Alan Wake( but Payne history buffs know that Remedy took almost 4-5 years making the first one).

The bottom line though, is Rockstar should have just let Remedy get back to Max after finishing Alan Wake, but despite all their claims about making "art" games, it's pretty evident all Rockstar cares about iis big green. Though, to me, it seems like it's going to be a mistake to underestimate the original Payne fans. A couple more years of waiting for a real sequel by Remedy woudln't have been a big fuss.

More or less, Rockstar has effectively Alien 3'd Max Payne. Killing off Mona--moving it FAR away from its origions without any clear progression. Yeah, that's why fans aren't like me aren't happy. There's not really even any real crediblity to this title given the fact Sam Lake isn't invovled, nor Max's original VA. How the hell can you change those things and not expect displeasure?
                      Remedy killed off Mona.
                      What could Max possibly still have to do in New York? If you read the plot that was on wiki(which I doubt to be true) there was clear progression in the story. I not saying it's tfrue, but if some random person can make up a story that explains why he is in São Paulo, I'm sure Rockstar can.
                      Last edited by jagger916; 09-21-2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jagger916 View Post
                        Remedy killed off Mona.
                        What could Max possibly still have to do in New York?

Actually, they didn't. You have to beat Max Payne 2 on the highest difficulty(which name I forget at the moment), and she actually lives, and Max is no longer haunted by the death of his family.

Granted, that might not lead down the best story route, and, it's not clear which ending actually happaned, though you would think the hardest difficulty ending would be so called cannon, but it seems that choice has been made. . .not by Remedy--which is frustrating. Rockstar may own the IP, but it's not really there IP, if you get what I"m saying. They aren't the heart behind the series, Remedy is, and without them, I highly doubt a studio who's only game prior to this was Bully, can actually deliver a story-driven game with the same atmosphere and brilliance of the first two. Granted, Batman Arkham Asyleum counterpoints this that a small studio can craft a brilliant game.

And I"ll even admit, if Max Payne 3 was exactly the same as it is now, but developed by Remedy, and had Sam Lake writing it, and the original Max VA, I would probably, even if I bit disappoitned with the Mona decision, would be hella excited, because there's just a level of faith there. It's like RE4--it changed RE forever, but it was done by Capcom, and more specifically, by Shinji Mikami, so it's the true visionary evolution of the series. It has crediblity. Whether people liked the changes or not, that's another story, but it was at least done by the people who originally concevied the series, so there's no room left for arugment about a second string studio coming in and ruining a series. But, who knows, right? Werider things have happaned, but as much experience as I have with games that changed developers and/or original creators--it simply doesn't look good, nor is encouraging to old-time fans here.

I mean, really, taking out Sam Lake and Max's original VA is almost blashphomy there. Hell, I wonder if there are actually going to be any ACTUAL graphic novel style "cutscenes", or will they use 3D cutscenes for everything, like ever other game. (which is great for other games, but dammit, it's not Max Payne)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
                          Actually, they didn't. You have to beat Max Payne 2 on the highest difficulty(which name I forget at the moment)
                          I think it's called Hard-Boiled.
                          sigpic

Comment

I know about the second ending. I liked the first better. And we don't know the story yet. Mona might've lived. We simply don't know yet.
                            I wonder if there are actually going to be any ACTUAL graphic novel style "cutscenes", or will they use 3D cutscenes for everything, like ever other game. (which is great for other games, but dammit, it's not Max Payne)
                            Read the wiki page.(again I doubt it's truth but it's there)
                            I found this on YouTube. Don't know if its real or fake. If it is fake it's damn good.
                            Now I DON'T know if this is official or not but it's probably the closest damn thing to it if anything. Found this over in the MP3 thread over in the 3D Rea...

The "Winter 2009" is off putting though
                            Last edited by jagger916; 09-21-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X