PC NEXT-GEN GAMES REQUIREMENTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC NEXT-GEN GAMES REQUIREMENTS

Guys, i want to get a new PC, not too expensive but one which i can be able to play some next-gen games. I'm wondering if this one will run RE5, TRU or STREET FIFHGTER 4. Thanks!

INTEL E7500 CORE2DUO 64 BITS
    4 GB RAM
    320 HD
    XFX 9800GT 1GB DDR3

The Core 2 Duo is fine. If you want to go all out (though it's more money, of course), get an i7 processor. I don't know what you mean by 64 bit though. Core 2 Duos support the 64 bit architecture by default, I assume...

4 GBs of RAM. Okay, that's good. But what kind of RAM?

320 GB HDD...I might want to add some memory to that. At least 500.

Your graphics card is fine, if you ask me. You'll definitely be able to run all those games. Probably not at max settings very well, but you will be able to run them.

Comment

I'd say go for two HDDs.
      One you can use for the main OS, random software and other random junk, the other for installation of games and whatever other junk you decide not to slam in on the OS drive. It also makes things a bit more comfortable should you ever need to reformat, as you in "most" cases would only have to format and re-install things on the main drive and can salvage most stuff on the other drive without really having to worry about any backup stuff (it's always nice to be able to just do a fresh main drive format whenever you evt. reinstall the OS)

The graphics card is fine, but see if you can grab a mobo that has multiple PCI-E ports next to one another so you may run an SLI/Crossfire setup should you choose to later upgrade your graphics card by just slapping in another one of what you've already got (assuming whatever you settle with supports SLI or Crossfire)

And, yeah, the speed/type/brand of the ram is what matters the most as far as the system memory goes. 4gb is probably more than enough, but the question is whether or not it's fast enough to keep up with everything else.

Also, make sure you get a 64bit OS installation, such as Vista 64-bit, or preferably Windows 7 64-bit, to go with the CPU and ram. (Of course, there are some compatibility issues between 32bit and 64bit, but most of that you can be ironed out through compatiblity modes or updates)

The CPU is fine, but if you're burning money, throw in an i7.

Anyway, what you currently have there seems fine, as long as it all fits into the same motherboard. But do try to keep future support in mind when picking a motherboard (RAM slots and max amount supported, amount of PCI and PCI-E ports, etc.)

Comment

for me, i wouldn't go all out, especially since Intel is releasing the six-core i9 next year. and basically no pc game on the market supports even a triple-core processor (that i don't know of). i have a phenom ii quad-core processor by AMD. i prefer AMD over Intel. Intel is too expensive anyways and Intel is more mainstreamed. i wouldn't even pay $1,000 for the Bloomfield XE processor, when i might as well just build a new PC with an AMD processor for less than $900, even though Intel's processors have more l-cache and can use triple channel memory.
        Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

^Six core i9? That fast?

And by the way, to everyone here (including the OP): Never get an AMD processor for your laptop unless you want to burn a hole clear through your chassis.

Easily a brand made for desktops, mainly. Unless you're just doing office work. It's usually fine if you're doing that...

About the RAM:

Since it seems you're going to get an x64 based OS, you're not really getting much out of it unless you put in more RAM. A very strong point to 64 bit Windows is that you can utilize more then the 4 GBs that you can allocate only with a 32 bit processor. For that, if you have any spare money, go for at least 6.

Depending on the kinds of games and other software you'll be running, you may even be better off with it (Crysis on maxed settings. I can see it now [but for that you'll probably want SLI/Crossfire as Carnivol said]...).
          Last edited by WeskerIncarnate; 11-22-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

The important thing when putting together a new computer is that you at least make sure it is somewhat future proof as far as replacing parts with more powerful ones goes.

Nothing is more annoying than to toss together something, just to realize that you have to swap more than just a single component should you decide to upgrade something to increase the life of your system (best is if an upgrade can be done without even having to swap any parts and that you just add it in there along with the rest of the stuff)

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! i'm afraid i won't be able to afford an I7 for the moment. I think a PC for gaming it's quite expensive... and i know that with just that, i won't be able to update anything, i.e ram, or pci ports... etc. Anyway, at least i think i'll be playing TRU and STRETI4 because RE5 will go on medium graphics config.

Comment

PC gaming isn't that expensive. I suppose the most important question is what's your budget?

Also what are the components you already have (if any)? Like, you have a monitor, case, PSU, etc? If you have a PSU what are it's specifications and brand? And what's the native resolution of your monitor? It's best to know at what resolution you'd be gaming before you buy a graphics card.

FYI I captured the RE5 cutscenes (remember those? ) using ultra high dx10 settings without a problem. My PC is a Phenom X4 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, 8800 GT 512MB
                Last edited by doomed; 11-23-2009, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Really?

So I think i might be able to play RE5 afterall!

I just have a 17' LCD. But i think i'll need more RAM...

Comment

I am still rocking the core2 series processor and I have no trouble running games at all. I also do the folding @ home at the same time.

core2 quad Q9650 oc to 3.6ghz
                    Gskill 1600mhz ram
                    250 gig HD
                    Asus 4870 with the core oc to 800mhz
                    Sound Blaster Xfi Fatality
                    Bigfoot Killer nic

Comment

Originally posted by Jill Lover View Post
                      Really?

So I think i might be able to play RE5 afterall!

I just have a 17' LCD. But i think i'll need more RAM...
                      You definitely don't need more RAM. Half of my memory remains unused at almost all times. And you should get an AMD, because Core 2 Duo's architecture has been abandoned. You might have trouble upgrading or replacing your CPU if it breaks down. Again we could help you more if you tell us our budget.

Comment

im running an
                        i5 at 2.6 ghz
                        4 gb ddr3 ram
                        ATI HD radeon 5770 running at 1gb ddr5
                        onboard audio

i can play COD MW2 with no problem and games like left 4 dead 2 are no problem with all those zombies even.

it only cost nearly 900 dollars with shipping and add ons

Comment

Thanks doomed for your reply. I can't really tell you my budget because we use here pesos not dollars, and there's a big difference between them in terms of value.

What about a:
                          Phenom II 940 + ASUS M3N78-VM + Kingston DDR2 4GB 800Mhz + HD 320GB Sata2 + XFX 9800GT 1GB DDR3.

Comment

That helps because I can look up the components you chose and see how much they cost in dollars.

I'll use the newegg website which I think has good prices, but I don't really know since I am from Europe and don't shop from US stores/in dollars.

Anyway you chose these:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3320418AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-469-_-Product
                            ASUS M3N78-VM: 75$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SUS%20M3N78-VM
                            AMD Phenom II X4 940: 160$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-471-_-Product
                            Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800: 101.50$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-582-_-Product
                            PNY (couldn't find XFX) GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3: 100$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-304-_-Product

Total: about 486.5$

But here are my comments:

- You can get a 500GB HDD for an extra 5$!! 180GB more, for 5$ sounds good to me!!

Price: 55$ ( +5$ more than what you chose)

- First of all, choosing a quad core is a great thought. Especially since RE5 scales very well on any additional cores you have. (It's actually one of the games that scale better than most..)

But the Phenom II 940 you chose uses the AM2+ socket. It's best to get a CPU that uses the new AM3 socket!

The Phenom II 945 runs at exactly the same speed (3.0 GHz) as the 940 but it's AM3-socketed. But note that there are 3 versions of the 945:

The first has a TDP of 125W and runs at a higher voltage than the other two.
                            The second and third use 95W. Also the third runs at a slightly lower voltage. So try to get one of those 95W ones.

See the difference in the titles here (price is the same):

Price: 166$ ( +6$ more than what you chose)

- Since you'll be using an AMD processor, your motherboard ideally should have an AMD chipset. Also your motherboard is based around the AM2+ architecture instead of the AM3 (AM3 CPUs are compatible, but you won't be able to use DDR3 memory if you buy an AM2+ motherboard). Additionally it is based on the Micro ATX architecture and unless you plan to put it in a small case (like a HTPC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC ) you should a buy a normally sized ATX motherboard.

So my recommendation is the ASUS M4A77TD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-603-_-Product

Price: 85$ (+5$ more than what you chose)

- The graphics card will do it's job, and one thing's for sure, no matter what, you won't face any compatibility problems in replacing it with a faster one in the future, if you feel the need.

But I would suggest to spend a little more money now instead of the future and get a nvidia GTS 250 1GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-062-_-Product

Why? Because the 9800GT is nothing more than a rebranded (renamed) 8800GT and while it's still a good enough graphics card (and the one I use!) it's 2 years old. On the other hand the GTS 250 is a slightly upgraded 9800GTX+ (which was the slightly upgraded replacement of the 9800GTX) and it'll run more efficiently and be more future proof.

Price: 120$ (+20$ more than what you chose)

- You chose DDR2 memory but it's best to use DDR3. This one should be good: PNY Optima 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178238

Price: 100$ (-1.5$ less than what you chose)

Total: about 526$ (only +39.5$ more than what you chose)

I believe those extra 40$ are well worth spending money.

But what about the PSU? You already have one? Or should I make a recommendation?
                            Last edited by doomed; 11-24-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I really appreciate your comment, and searching for those aswell. I have already asked a seller from here for those new components you suggested me, anyway i was going to buy this one:

INTEL E7500 CORE2DUO BOX 64 BITS + ASUS P5KPL-AM SE - 4 GB DDR2 + 320 HDD
                              SERIAL ATA - ATX P4 600W. XFX 9800GT 1024 MB (DDR3).

I know i'll be kind of outdated in terms of technology, but tell me what you think and what am i going to be able to play if i get this one.
                              I'll compare them and i'll see if i can afford it or not. I don't buy at any US shop either, and in any case you don't know about it, our money has fallen a lot, so anything you might want to get from here, especially technology, costs you 3 to 5 times more than buying it in the USA. It's insane. I'd rather buy a PS3 instead of a new PC it costs even less.

I really appreciate reply doomed!

Comment

Working...
                              X