No announcement yet.

Fatal Frame 4 translation patch! [Released!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen to that, though admittedly i might hold off a few weeks just to see if the coast is clear.

Comment

You are pretty much right Carnivol.
      I asked some questions at the forums and was told:
      You can actually run the patch from the HBC (normally it uses bannerbomb). It still requires the physical disk - the patch method interrupts calls from the DVD to the game system. This means USB loaders won't work. Since we're running it through our own loader, pirate loaders aren't usable either, so ciosCorp and whatever are not usable as well.
      So it looks like they will include a loader as part of the patch download. I'm guessing when you "go to the SD card reader and follow the prompts", one of the first prompts will be to install the loader (which dosn't bother me... as long as it works).

When I asked what part of the patch is still incomplete:
      None. The patch itself has been complete for about 3 weeks. I started making the new website right after it was done it's last check. We are now attempting to spiffy up the patching method so that everyone can actually USE the patch, without all sorts of potential crashes in weird situations, and with nice, user friendly graphics and prompts as opposed to the flickering command line of yore.
      It shouldn't be long now!

*Update*
      Own a recently bought Wii and wanna be a Guinea Pig?

btw, the game disc is no longer necessary... W-T-F?!
      Last edited by Skunky; 12-16-2009, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Isn't that like, Piracy?
        So confused...

Comment

I'm guessing he might at least be able to test if it's going to work WITHOUT having the game to play. They're obviously not giving the game away.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
            *Update*
            Own a recently bought Wii and wanna be a Guinea Pig?

btw, the game disc is no longer necessary... W-T-F?!
            I think the no game part is just referring to how they need a test subject to see if their application runs on a Wii of a specific hardware line up.
            (Although, on paper, I suppose their "patcher" could just as well work as an alternative to an ISO loader, as you theoretically could put all game files on a storage device and say "All of these files will replace the content of *any disc*")
            Last edited by Carnivol; 12-18-2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

The Patch is UP!!!

I'm about to go to sleep but I've started downloading... it's gonna take me a while (there's about 400mb of stuff!).

Comment

I wait with baited breath and my credit card ready to buy the game. If it works I wish for a non-spoiler review about how good the patch is and how easy it is for the technically inept to install.

Comment

Going by their guide on their website, it's about as straight forward as it gets.

I'm still pretty amazed by the fact that they pulled off the live file-swap system. (I love the fact that Tempus talks about Captain Rainbow on the forums too.) Will be interesting to see how their patching system will be used in the future, 'cause I think that's probably the most significant and important part of their project.

Not sure about the quality of their work yet, though. Yet to get a copy of the game myself too. I know they had this public translation thingy on their site at one point, which isn't exactly promising... but since they took it down and probably re-did everything (I hope) after getting dedicated translators and since they've got a rather large extensive list of editors and had a long testing period - I guess it might not be too bad.

Though, as long as I don't have to read something that sounds like it came out of the pond of the babelfish or something that contains a pile of honorifics and other shit that doesn't really belong anywhere outside the source audio/text... chances are I wont really have to be picky (I tend to be picky. Very picky! Especially when it comes to stuff not subjected to the restrictions of corporate deadlines and budgets.)

+I can already smell that I'll be picking on glossary terms from the Nintendo side of things
                  (Damn! Once a certification tester and localization editor, always a certification tester and localization editor. Kids: Unless you want to ruin your gaming life - never get a job in the industry!)

Comment

This is just like SSBB Hacks, just so much more elaborated when it comes to quality and presentation.
                    Last edited by Kaneco; 01-19-2010, 01:33 AM.

Comment

I've only recently installed the patch. I had to wait a couple of days to get my brother to help me. To do the 'offline install' it uses a method that my PC couldn't do. I'm still on windows 2000 so my OS had trouble.
                      But I got my SD card set up today and it's now installed (I chose the HBC method).
                      I had a minor hiccup because I'd left a GC controller plugged in when I installed it. My Wiimote stopped working and I had to re-sync it.

But now it's working GREAT!!!
                      It's an amazing feat those guys have done. It certainly dosn't play or look like some sort of cheapo home made mod. It's incredibly professional and plays just like a real localization.
                      I only had a quick test run but I'll be playing right through again, tonight or tomorrow. I'll report any problems but at this stage, my advice to anyone considering it, is GO FOR IT!!! (before the game sells out or becomes really expensive).

Comment

^Thanks for the patch review. How did you import your copy of Fatal Frame? PlayAsia?

I need to grab a copy of this game and dust off the ol' Wii...

Comment

Yeah, I imported from Playasia about a year ago, when it became obvious that the game was never gonna be released outside of Japan.

Playasia has sold out already. Yesterday it was their highest selling Wii game!
                          I think Yesasia has it on 'back order' but I wouldn't trust that to mean anything. I ordered a music cd from there and at first they told me I would have to wait while they searched their sources, then nearly 3 months later they canceled my order and refunded my money.
                          There should still a few exporters around who have some copies left. You'll have to hunt around. And there's always ebay...

Comment

Working...
                          X