System Shock Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Shock Series

A general discussion thread about the System Shock series.

I was wondering if maybe we could get some co-op games going for System Shock 2. There is multi-player implemented in the game.

System Shock 1 is definitely, without a doubt, abandonware, as its original developer and publisher have gone under. Basically, it's wild game, and no rights are held for it, by anyone. It was made 16 years ago, and can be found for download on top SS fansites. No frets about downloading this: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/inde...pic,211.0.html

If you'd like to see one of these fansites:

strangebedfellows.de

It's great, full of mods, a bit of an inactive but awesome community, and is one of the best sites dedicated to System Shock.

This one has been around, is more active, but is equally awesome:

Through the Looking Glass dedicated to Looking Glass Studios, Irrational Games and other high quality games such as Thief, System Shock, BioShock, Oblivion, Dark Messiah, Arx Fatalis and more!

On top of System Shock discussion, there's tons of other stuff.

For those of you unfamiliar with the System Shock series:

Get familiar now. These are both very great, critically acclaimed games, and the mods compiled for part 2 are mind blowing (though I recommend the vanilla version of SS2 save texture mods and sound upgrades for the first playthrough). Look at their wikis on Wikipedia for info on them.

Now, onto the status of SS2 and sharing it:

I have found that this game is NOT abandonware, even though it is no longer sold or profited on from the dev and publisher. The copyright is still active, and it is infringement to download it.

But it's ultimately your call. Nobody's asking you to download it, and I most surely can't discuss doing so beyond me tell you you can't. I personally find the copyright system absolutely archaic, as a 95 YEAR WAITING TIME IS ON THE GAME FOR IT TO BE RELEASED TO PUBLIC DOMAIN as of 2003.

I don't know where the modding community would be today without digitally distributed copies of this game. I'll be honest: I don't think Irrational gives two flying shits about this game being pirated. In fact, I think they'd rather have it this way. You know what, in fact AGAIN, it's up to the publisher, not the developer. But we all know how touchy EA is about it (see Spore's DRM. Assholes).

Read this thread and make your call (note that it's from 2003, before SS1's publisher went under [2004]. The game is abandonware.)

You guys very clearly state that SS2 is not abadonware, but there are links in your FAQ that show where to download SS1. What's the difference? Neither are distributed, there's really no difference in their status... what makes you classify #1 as abandonware/freeware? (Not whining, just wondering!)

It's up to you, though no harm is technically done at all.

Anyway, there is a demo:

Try it out.

Nonetheless, however you obtain a copy of the game, if at all, I'd still like to discuss it here, and possible co-op games.
    Last edited by WeskerIncarnate; 01-27-2010, 10:56 PM.

I'm guessing no one here plays this game?

Damn, you're missing out one of the best video game experiences ever. Really.
    Last edited by WeskerIncarnate; 01-30-2010, 12:56 AM.

Comment

nah, not really. i already know what it is. System Shock 2 is basically the sole reason for its influence on BioShock. System Shock had more horror in it, familiar gameplay, and story telling.
      Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

If that's all you can tell me, you know just about nothing.

But seeing the apparent lack of interest from people here, I don't care anymore.

Comment

considering that the seriss sold so poorly to even crack the mainstream, only PC enthusiasts would ever know of its existence.
          Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

I might get it sometime.

Comment

Working...
            X