Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then I guess Sonya's just not the character for you

Comment

• This game pisses me off so god damn much. One of the most frustrating games ive ever played. Its an awesome game but jesus its one hard mother fucking game
      PSN Gamercards

Comment

• Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
        It is like you didn't even read the example, no spamming from Scorpion, all countering attacks or movements, except for the unblockable move. Sonya has no options against Scorpion at all and relies on the Scorpion just failing a move input or having really bad reactions, but that is nothing to do with balance, any good player would nail inputs near always. There is no balance to the fight at all, is completely one sided.
        Simple solution: don't use Sonya. Certain characters make for really bad match-ups against other certain characters, which is why you should practice with 4 or 5 different fighters at minimum. The five characters I 'main' -- Raiden, Cage, Reptile, Jade and Rain -- all play differently and match up better or worse against certain other fighters. It's up to you to put in the effort to practice them and get better at the game.

I do, however, agree with you on Scorpion's Hellfire. That's the biggest bullshit move in the entire game.
        Last edited by Vector; 08-24-2011, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vector View Post
          Simple solution: don't use Sonya.
          This is about a dumb an answer as can exist, just ignore a characters existance entirely because horribly bad match-ups. If we did that the roster would be about 8 characters.
          Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• ...I thought that was basically how online fighting games were? Everyone sticks to the Tier 1 Characters? Which is partially why I don't play them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
              ...I thought that was basically how online fighting games were? Everyone sticks to the Tier 1 Characters? Which is partially why I don't play them.
              That does happen often, however the better balanced ones still give low tiers good options against all character, Sakura and Dan in SSFIV for example can still be competitive despite being bottom of the tier list. SSFIV online never really had a lot of the same characters always used, outside of Ken and Ryu who are just old favs of many people (and neither top tier).

Comment

• Sakura players can be a pain in the ass.
                sigpic

Comment

This is about a dumb an answer as can exist, just ignore a characters existance entirely because horribly bad match-ups. If we did that the roster would be about 8 characters.
                  Call it dumb or whatever you want, but it's the truth. Some fighters are useless against other fighters. Instead of bitching about teleporting all the time, try using other characters if the game is really that important to you. If not, don't play it. I really don't know what else to tell you.

Comment

Call it dumb or whatever you want, but it's the truth. Some fighters are useless against other fighters.
                    You mean the balance is crap, which is what I said originally?

Comment

• That's great, keep ignoring everything else I'm saying and just sticking to your guns about how 'unbalanced' it is instead of putting in the time and effort to make yourself better with a stable of characters, and not just one. If you use Sonya against someone like Scorpion or Smoke, you deserve to lose. You really can't just master one character and be done with it in this game because of how varied the characters are. 'Balance' isn't an issue when you have a certain playstyle for each different situation...that kind of strategizing is part of the fun of playing the game, to me.

Players at EVO 2011(the biggest fighting game convention in America) usually main one character but have another one that they go to, just in case. I saw a guy in the Grand Finals switch characters mid-match because the match-up wasn't working out for him.
                      Last edited by Vector; 08-24-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

You mean the balance is crap, which is what I said originally?
                        If you don't like the game don't play it, if you cant master a character, don't use them, if you cant sleep drink beer.

Yeah the last one as meant to be random, you aren't going to get sympathy or understanding if you keep coming back and complaining about the spammers and how a character you like to use doesn't work against character X.

Fighting games have always been like this, its infuriating but you learn to live with it and then find someone else's ass to kick and feel better.

Comment

That's great, keep ignoring everything else I'm saying and just sticking to your guns about how 'unbalanced' it is instead of putting in the time and effort to make yourself better with a stable of characters, and not just one. If you use Sonya against someone like Scorpion or Smoke, you deserve to lose. You really can't just master one character and be done with it in this game because of how varied the characters are. 'Balance' isn't an issue when you have a certain playstyle for each different situation...that kind of strategizing is part of the fun of playing the game, to me.

Players at EVO 2011(the biggest fighting game convention in America) usually main one character but have another one that they go to, just in case. I saw a guy in the Grand Finals switch characters mid-match because the match-up wasn't working out for him.
                          If you mean the guy that switched from Mileena to Cyrax, he plays a terrible Cyrax. He was doing great enough as it was with Mileena he just had to change his strategy and the tournament would probably have been his.

Aside from that, you guys are delusional....as Christopher Lambert (portraying as Raiden) says...

"There is always a way...."

When I use a character I don't know how to use, I try to play with the basics and in the most unorthodox fashion, in other words 'playing smart'

I've beaten so many teleport spammers and even with characters I don't really know how to use like 'Reptile' which I only know how to do is one simple combo.

I don't know if fighting games come natural to me, but I was raised in a competitive environment and learn things everyday I get to play with friends or family especially more so because I don't practice on my own much at all so there's always room for improvement.

All I can say is keep trying and that sometimes defense can be your best offense...ask 'valentineisdead?' he really knows first hand how much I block in MvC3.

@Kyliedog, If you like Sonya enough, then keep trying to improve, keep your guard up as much as possible and try avoid making any unnecessary moves when you're away from the opponent because that will make you a target for teleport attacks.

Comment

Out of the 27 characters(31 including DLC) your complaining about 1 match-up. How exactly does that make the WHOLE game unbalanced?

Your example of Sonya and Scorpion wasn't even that good. If that's how you use Sonya online then it's no wonder why you can't win. She has a total of seven moves, I'm pretty sure your not even using all of them to your advantage. If you want to win matches with Sonya so badly with Scorpion, you probably need to stop being so predictable. Jumping back and then using 'Arc Kick' is a start. Some characters just need more strategy than others, that's what makes it interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
                              Out of the 27 characters(31 including DLC) your complaining about 1 match-up. How exactly does that make the WHOLE game unbalanced?
                              It was one example, I'm not gonna to write up every single match-up in the game. I already said it was one single example but like previous posts it seems to be ignored, your tactic suggested was already covered in the example.

That's great, keep ignoring everything else I'm saying and just sticking to your guns about how 'unbalanced' it is instead of putting in the time and effort to make yourself better with a stable of characters, and not just one. If you use Sonya against someone like Scorpion or Smoke, you deserve to lose.
                              This is just defence of shitness here. Especially that last line, picking a character to fight another should never be so one sided. Your Evo example is weak since with MK they just switch one character with many options to a character with many different options, they do not switch to a character that will take away options and give nothing back. In better balanced games like SSFIV every character is competitive against every other, some just more so than others.

...and of course people are psychic and know if their opponent will pick a character than will make the match totally one sided.

Comment

• I'm not really seeing why people are hassling Kylie...I mean, all that's really being said is that maybe all the characters should be balanced enough to play competitively without suffering a huge handicap? That seems pretty reasonable to me. I did mention that I don't play these things partially for that reason (and the characters I like to play are always in the 'Just No' Tier).

Comment

Working...
                                X