10 ways to evolve horror games....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 ways to evolve horror games....

As written by the development team of 'Amnesia, the Dark Descent'. They really do point out some interesting ideas and I gotta say, they hit th enail on the head with the 'Normality','Doubt', and 'open world'.

This is a good read for survival horror fans.

----
    Introduction Around 10 years ago, a lot of very interesting and ground breaking horror games were released. These include Silent Hill (1999...

Just moved this over from Umbrella Labs since it's a general gaming topic.

As for that list, wow. I'm really impressed. Frictional Games really seems to have a grasp on how to do horror right (as if Penumbra and Amnesia weren't already proof of that ). A lot of developers could really learn from this I think.

Comment

I wasn't sure which section to post this in as its aimed at Survival horror, but not about a specific game. Thanks Dude.

Comment

It's interesting to note that a lot of the stuff they mention is not well represented (if at all) in the old RE games. A lot of what they point out, is contrary to the RE franchise. The combat, the generic enemies and the slow build up, among other things.

What they describe sounds more like RE 3.5
        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah I noticed that too, but what they're talking about more supernatural horror, liek Silent Hill.

RE has always been Science gone bad and really, if its a supernatural creature you generally have to let the suspense build up before you see it to get the full effect.

Sci-fi monsters are more like slashers in movies, they're there to shock you in a flash most of the time.

Comment

11. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/0...features-co-op
            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

I know only hate.

Comment

So we only got Silent Hill now?

Things look bad for S-H.
                Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X