Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silent Hill: Origins PS2 North American Release Imminent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Hill: Origins PS2 North American Release Imminent!

Nobody seems to be covering this so I'll step up and take the topic by the balls. With only four days left until the North American release of Origins on the PS2 it looks set to be quite an impressive port. I for one have been anxiously waiting for this "...messed up sonofabitch." game since I first heard the rumors at the end of last year. But being British and PAL format by default I will have two choices, import the NTSC version or wait it out until most likely the end May for the PAL release. Now before people start bombarding me with abuse, I know that NTSC (60hz) is better than PAL (50hz) but I already own all of the other Silent Hill games in PAL format so I will try to wait another two months to get it in the same. Once I have gotten it, I will be sure to upload some pictures of the case, manual and disc before and after I take it out of its seal. If one of you North American fans could perhaps do the same for your version that'd be great. Hopefully if the PAL version is anything like Silent Hill 3 it will have a NTSC/PAL selector which would be wicked. If you didn't catch Origins the first time round on PSP or you weren't willing to buy a PSP to play it then you really should buy this game for your PS2 or just for your games collection in general. Notice how I'm assuming people have PS2s. LOL! But if you're already a fan of Silent Hill, you'll make the choice that best suites you. So remember March 4th 2008 people! One last thing, here's a link to all known PS2 screenshots. http://www.gamershell.com/ps2/silent...reenshots.html
    Last edited by Ultra_Glior; 02-29-2008, 11:56 AM.

I'm British, and of course, this isn't coming out till later; do I have the PSP version? Yes. Am I getting the PS2 version? Yes. I didn't really like how dark the game was when playing on a small screen in a LIGHT area...and seeing a reflection of yourself...
    I would like to play it on the big screen, AND see if there are any extras...my PS2 modded, I could buy the NTSC version, but I don't want too.

Comment

im also a english lad that shall be buying this, im also hoping for a may date for release, because its my birthday that month, which means i'll have a bit more money
      btw is this just a psp version but on the ps2, or are the graphics going to be touched up?

Comment

im definetly gonna be picking this up, its good i have to the (so far) entire SH collection on a single console.

Comment

If you check out the link I've provided, you'll see that they're PS2 screenshots. Notice Travis and Lisa's faces and how much more detailed they are. I know these screens are stretched but it looks like the textures are of a higher resolution and more detailed aswell, let's hope so.

Comment

I'll be buying it. The only question is for the American or British PS2 first...

Comment

It's out today, but I'll be picking it up tomorrow or the day after since I'm sick and stuck at home.

EB's website mentions a bonus digital comic with the purchase.

Comment

Electronic Boutique? You've still got that chain over there? LOL! Better upload some photos please. :p

Comment

Got it yesterday, and not sure how far I am into the game but so far so good. The controls are certainly not as responsive (ie. they are very sluggish) as the previous entries, which doesn't really bode well with the far more aggressive and HP slashing enemies. It's not something that can't be used to but it took me by surprise given the series' history of having virtually no challenge.

The core adventure design is extremely well done, and dare I say it's better than the last two entries in the series (couting SH4 as well).

I don't know how much the graphics improved over the PSP game, but the lightsourcing is better than the previous PS2 games. Overall, though comparable, it's still a direct port of a PSP game. You get to select the language setup and aspect ratio as the game loads up as well.

Given what Climax did with the game design and tech-wise, maybe Konami should've given SH5 to them. But I guess the reported development problems weren't exaggerated.

Comment

i picked the game up today as well, the graphics certainly seem very nice for a psp port, between SH2 and SH3 (a lot near SH3 though) , the game is very dark though and its hard to make certain things out.

Comment

I've seen a video on YouTube, and unfortunately, I'm not impressed with Travis' model.
                      Sure they upgraded him, but he doesn't even look like the Travis I played to love.

He has less facial hair and his eyes are different, he looks like a different person if you ask me...also, the controls look more...groggy compared to the PSP version, meh, I'll still get it nevertheless, as my brother is interested in this one, but not interested in playing a PSP version.

Comment

...you mean May, right? I know it didn't come out on the 1st or 2nd because on my birthday, March 3rd, I went out with a fistfull of cashy money and an intent to buy. Wasn't released.

Comment

i love the "thats not fog, its smoke" line when travis sees the burning house ..

trying to break out of the silent hill cliche eh :p

Comment

here's some ramblings of mine (copy pasta from gamefaqs) about this game ..
                            this is probably the best psp to ps2 port we've seen yet, and im actually sort of happy with it, i dont know how faithful of a port this is and if konami upgraded textures and whatnot, but the game certainly seems to stand up well against the ps2 silent hill games .. i'd rate it above silent hill 2 on technical terms.

other then that, the central character seems off a bit, a truck driver, really ?

anywho, some issues with the game that i found annoying are the lack of camera control, come on guys, use the right analog stick .. and the keys seem to be a little off in their response time, the map takes a few milli seconds to come up after pressing triangle and travis's average turning and combat controls are a bit sluggish as well ..

since i never played the psp version of the game this is however still a brand new chapter in the silent hill series for me, so i love it.

also, i get the vibe that this game is sort of meant to be a spiritual remake of the first SH, since 10 minutes into the game im already in one of the most prominent SH1 area's. And of course Alyssa .. (she does look a lot more cute now .. no i dont mean in the pedo way >_>
                            Last edited by A-J; 03-14-2008, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Nah, light sourcing aside, the game doesn't look as good as either SH2 or SH3. Not sure how far I am, but I can't believe how sluggish the controls can be at times. I've gone through healers like never before.

Comment

Working...
                              X