Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First post (after seeing the Silent Hill movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post (after seeing the Silent Hill movie)

ok i just watched the silent hill movie for the first time in my life the other day and love it, it makes me want to start playing the games, can anyone point me in the direction to start?

a list of the SH games would be nice
    sigpic

the best place odd enoguh is to start with and i cannot believe i am sayign this in this order...

silent hill origins PSP/PS2
    silent hill PS1/PSN download
    Silent hill 3 PS2/PC/Gametap
    silent hill 2 PS2/PC/gametap
    silent hill the room PS2/xbox/PC
    and since you saw the movie
    silent hill homecoming PS3/360/Steam

Comment

Alternatively, miss out Origins, The Room and Homecoming and just play 1-3.

Comment

Originally posted by BadWolfX View Post

The Room has lots of issues, true, but it's still great story-wise and experience-wise. I really don't understand the hate this game constantly gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post

The Room has lots of issues, true, but it's still great story-wise and experience-wise. I really don't understand the hate this game constantly gets.
          I just really don't like it.

It is pretty scary though, I'll give it that.

Comment

I just see the room as the room and forget its SH ties, makes it better imho. I'd say start with 1, work your way through to 2 then 3 then 4 since its alright. And if you want an old school feel again then tackle Origins. Only do 5 if you feel a blood lust for all things silent hill. But mandatory is Silent Hill 1 then 2.

silent hill origins PSP/PS2
            silent hill PS1/PSN download
            Silent hill 3 PS2/PC/Gametap
            silent hill 2 PS2/PC/gametap
            silent hill the room PS2/xbox/PC
            and since you saw the movie
            silent hill homecoming PS3/360/Steam
            I definately wouldn't start with origins since it steals elements from 1 and 2 to the point where it almost plagerises them. I feel 1 should be the start else origins may spoil the silent hill flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrico Marini View Post
              I just see the room as the room and forget its SH ties, makes it better imho. I'd say start with 1, work your way through to 2 then 3 then 4 since its alright. And if you want an old school feel again then tackle Origins. Only do 5 if you feel a blood lust for all things silent hill. But mandatory is Silent Hill 1 then 2.

I definately wouldn't start with origins since it steals elements from 1 and 2 to the point where it almost plagerises them. I feel 1 should be the start else origins may spoil the silent hill flow.
              well im talking about more of a timeline than best to worst

Comment

I agree with this

Comment

I wouldn't miss out on Origins...
                  I think it would be the ideal place to start (for a number of reasons). It's chronologically the first, the graphics on PS2 are still quite nice to look at, it has some similarities to the movie (which you enjoyed) and the map matches up with the original SH, so playing that next fits nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by riderkid View Post
                    well im talking about more of a timeline than best to worst
                    But if he would start with Origins, the game would totally spoil SH1's story for him - the mystery would be all gone by then. I think the best order of playing those games for the first time is to play them in the order they were released. Games that were released later usually treat the player as if he knows what's going on and usually continue or expand ideas from previous games.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                      I wouldn't miss out on Origins...
                      I think it would be the ideal place to start (for a number of reasons). It's chronologically the first, the graphics on PS2 are still quite nice to look at, it has some similarities to the movie (which you enjoyed) and the map matches up with the original SH, so playing that next fits nicely.
                      Which still deson't excuse the shoddy weapon system, the crappy plot and the fact that you can't run for more than 20 seconds without Travis having to stop to catch his breath. Not good in a survival horror game.

Comment

Totally agree. I would not start with origins either. Its better graphics would make playing part 1 feel less appealing even though part 1 is a much better game. Origins is also the easiest of them, too easy in fact unless you want to try fighting every monster with your fists. You can do without it or even play it before home coming since it has a very similar look and feel. 1-3 are easily the best of the Silent Hill games sticking to the mythos, while 4 is almost like an entirely different game, and part 5 taking so much from the movie that its merely a spin off from the movie. The movie is entertaining but a bad representation of the game. If you really liked the movie you can just start with 5 and forget the rest as the rest aren't made just to look cool.

Comment

Silent Hill 2 is probably a good place to start if you ask me. The first one hasn't exactly aged well (Authough that kind of adds to the sinister nature of the game) and SH2 has a completely isolated story, merely taking place inside the same town. Play SH2, then 1, then 3. Silent Hill 4 is a good game with an interesting narrative, but it's so detatched from the rest of the series that you can't help imagining that it probably started life as a different game entirely until Konami realised they hadn't made a SH title for a few years. Ignore Origins and Homecoming completely.

Comment

well what do you think would be the easiest for me to get? that would still spike my interest in the rest (i started out with RE4 but i love RE2 the most, i love the originals better cause i love the thrill of making everything last lol)
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X