Silent Hill Revelations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Hill Revelations

Apparently today the worlds first glimpse of this movie is today at the comic con.

It astounds me that for a film that wrapped filming before Prometheus there's still no trailer or behind the scenes footage? What is going on?

All we know is that this is Akira Yamaoka last legacy on the series, and it's based on Silent Hill 3, but features aspects of the Silent Hill (1) movie.

So... I don't know what else to say... I just hope the trailer knocks us for six.
    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Well the director's blog basically explained a lot of why it's been delayed releasing after shooting wrapped, it needed proper distribution channels and then once that was done a properly decided release date - which ended up being Halloween 2012. He said the publicity was out of his hands, the fact it was even at Comic Con almost surprised me at first when I read that it was scheduled earlier this week.

I'm waiting for the footage to hit the net, can't be too much longer... the film will be out in just over 3 months.

Comment

BAM! First clip!

Anyways, I enjoyed the clip. I've seen mixed opinions from:

- Adelaide Clemens accent slips in (She sound fine to me )
      - Looks like a TV movie (LOL, just no)
      - The Nurses don't stay completely still (They didn't in the first movie either)
      - The Nurses also look too different (They look practically the same lol)
      - Too bright (I can kinda agree)
      - Camera and editing sucks.
      - Wasn't scary (Horror films of today rarely scare me, but if I can feel some tension then I'm good)

I don't know what people were expecting. Personally, I thought the scene played out great and was sad it stopped in the middle of the action.

The only critiques I have is that the scene is a little bright and the fact it was filmed digitally. Digital films can look a little clean and sterile, which is why film based shooting worked well for the first film. It had a hazy dream quality to it.

Adelaide was a great choice for Heather. Happy with what I've seen of her so far.
      Last edited by atlier00; 07-14-2012, 10:54 PM.

Comment

So is Sean Bean still in it?
        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
        Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

^ Sean Bean is indeed in the film.

Comment

51 seconds into the clip and I stopped. This is gonna fail hard, its repeating the same mistakes the first film did. Also...Yeah this films story is a continuation of the first films nonsense, but with the silent hill 3 story getting butchered now.

The nurse designs look terrible, and the actress they got playing heather looks like a Mary Sue in real life.

Heather herself was never drop dead beautiful in the game, which was something that made her stand out more than any other female protagonist I've played. I was really hoping they'd find an actress who still had some of Heathers 'plainness', but instead they got another 'beauty queen' actress.

Not surprised, but am disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by atlier00 View Post
              ^ Sean Bean is indeed in the film.
              Sweet, thanks for the confirmation. I love that guy, such a great actor. Perhaps we'll have another death to add to the highlight reel.

Last edited by REmaster; 07-15-2012, 04:42 PM.
              "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."

Comment

Uhh, Wrathborne? I always thought Heather could be considered at least cute, despite her weathered, slightly aged look and half-modest/half-skimpy dress. You're nitpicking the fuck out 100 seconds of this, and while I wouldn't doubt that the film will turn out as good as your expectations, your initial problems with it are frivolous in my opinion. The nurses look fine, despite being SH2 inspired it's a necessity from this being a continuation of the first film. Plus, you're forgetting that with the first movie's lackluster turnout the budget wouldn't be generous for this. While I agree that casting directors should look out for talent and fittingness first and foremost, they want to attract an audience through an appealing looking lead girl. Video games (especially those developed before they became as blockbuster-oriented as films) and movies are two different ballgames.

Plus, I find the idea of being not surprised but disappointed contradictory. Disappointment denotes something going against your expectations in a negative way, kind of impossible if your expectations lead towards the final result in the first place.

When the movie turns out shitty however, I'll be the first to say "Howard Johnson is right!" in your general direction.

Comment

You can be not surprised and disappointed. Disappointment is going against your hopes, not your expectations. I hoped RE5 would be a good game, but I was not surprised it was a can of shit.

Was the black-haired guy meant to be Vincent? I watched this minus sound. I recall him being cast as a young, pretty apparent love interest rather than his game persona (I guess he's getting the Dahlia Award for Least Sensible Character Change) but, still, that guy seemed...very wrong if he's meant to be Vincent.

Nurses looked OK. Although I never got the whole they won't move unless you do thing.

I seem to recall all the decent people in the crew, such as the original's director who seemed to love Silent Hill, being replaced with the writer's mates from various Anderson movies, so my hopes are pretty low really. This doesn't change much.

Comment

I always thought Heather could be considered at least cute, despite her weathered, slightly aged look and half-modest/half-skimpy dress.

Heather in SH3 was proof that you didnt need to have a video game heroine look drop dead gorgeous. She just looked like a normal girl for the most part, how often do you find that in games? Rarely because in games all women are super models who are 'drop dead' most of, if not all the time.

You're nitpicking the fuck out 100 seconds of this, and while I wouldn't doubt that the film will turn out as good as your expectations, your initial problems with it are frivolous in my opinion.

I nitpick the fuck out of this because it looks bad. It looks really bad,The nurses act dumber than a bag of hammers, the make up on their heads just looks like they covered the actresses heads with silly putty.Same as the first film, the distorted warped faces dont look scary,they look silly. How can a live action movie with a budget of millions of dollars fail to make the same monsters from the games, look scary?

I had some hopes for the fist film, even though I knew what I was getting into and that the story was changed because 'the games story is too confusing', but it was fucking horrible. Had the dumbest characters I've seen in years written and performances that made me cringe(mostly based off the horrible script).

It was a boring film that looked like silent hill...but thats it.

Plus, you're forgetting that with the first movie's lackluster turnout the budget wouldn't be generous for this.

...when is a 50 million dollar budget film making 97 million dollars gross lack luster? -_-
                    Its not thet $130 million blockbuster that would have streamlined a sequel instantly, but this isn't a lackluster box office figure dude.

While I agree that casting directors should look out for talent and fittingness first and foremost, they want to attract an audience through an appealing looking lead girl. Video games (especially those developed before they became as blockbuster-oriented as films) and movies are two different ballgames.

This just goes to show how shallow Hollywood is as well as how the audience is becoming because of it. An actress like Ellen Page would have been a great choice for heather because she similar qualities. Cute girl next door type who looks like a regular woman.Also helps that Ellen Page is a damn fine actress. This actress kind of has the 'girl next door quality' that Heather has...But not really. That's a real pisser, I knew someone like this would be cast, but it still is annoying as fuck.

Plus, I find the idea of being not surprised but disappointed contradictory. Disappointment denotes something going against your expectations in a negative way, kind of impossible if your expectations lead towards the final result in the first place.

My expectations aren't too high at all. Here are my expectations for a video game adaptation: Use the goddamn source material. Use the story, use the characters, use the monsters. You don't have to use everything, but at least 60% of whats been established in the game you're adapting, needs to be used for the film. The remaining 40% is yours to play with as a filmmaker.

Worked for Mortal Kombat(only due to the MK developers helping write the script) everyone other game adaptation hasnt followed this rule and has failed because of it. Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Hitman, super mario brothers, the list grows.

When the movie turns out shitty however, I'll be the first to say "Howard Johnson is right!" in your general direction.

Mark your calender now. The story on this turd is worse because its Silent Hill 3...using the first films story as its background.We have the witch hunter cult back, and the guy that Heather is trying to save there? Thats Vincent, ya know, this guy.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_lf3dxrCoHt1qd9s4e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	401454

I have an AA in film making dude, I know how to read a script and a film. I'm not just your average iffy video game fan who hates video game adaptations. I know my shit. Despite having a new director who has some potential as a story teller, no. Just no.

This is going to be more of the same, it will have more action as this director likes his action(Solomon Kane 2009), its atmosphere will be on par with the first film,it might even have some more scares too, but the story is going to be a mess. Because hes using the same continuity from the first shit fest film, and that's the Achilles heel of this movie.

Just because its going to be a little better than the first film, doesn't mean its going to be any good.

Take my opinion with an extra grain of salt if you will.
                    Last edited by Wrathborne; 07-15-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                      I have an AA in film making dude, I know how to read a script and a film. I'm not just your average iffy video game fan who hates video game adaptations. I know my shit. Despite having a new director who has some potential as a story teller, no. Just no.
                      One scene. Full movie review.

Comment

Originally posted by Kei_M View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Kei_M View Post
                          Glad you read the rest of what I said about why the film will fail and didn't focus on what I said about the half a scene clip that was posted, nice to have people not focus on one segment of an argument.

Comment

Meh, I've had a crush on Radha Mitchell since Pitch Black. I'm in I guess. Also, for da Bean.
                            Last edited by REmaster; 07-15-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Seeing as the actual games have given up on being genuinely scary, Konami and Universal are hoping that transferring Silent Hill to the real world might be a little more effective.

--

...Nope.

Comment

Working...
                              X