• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The executioner". Wat.

Still wanna go to it though... But it's so far away! D:

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
      Was the black-haired guy meant to be Vincent? I watched this minus sound. I recall him being cast as a young, pretty apparent love interest rather than his game persona (I guess he's getting the Dahlia Award for Least Sensible Character Change) but, still, that guy seemed...very wrong if he's meant to be Vincent.
      Its Vincent. Michael Bassett thought that Vincent from the game, while an interesting character, would be a throw away character in the movie. He's trying to make him a more relevant character in the film.

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post

Heather in SH3 was proof that you didnt need to have a video game heroine look drop dead gorgeous. She just looked like a normal girl for the most part, how often do you find that in games? Rarely because in games all women are super models who are 'drop dead' most of, if not all the time.

You are making Adelaide Clemens seem like a drop dead gorgeous bomb shell. She isn't, she is cute though.
      So she doesn't have freckles or extreme under eye bags, is that really a big deal? Its not like Heather is ugly, she could look like this too if she just iced those eye bags lol.

This just goes to show how shallow Hollywood is as well as how the audience is becoming because of it. An actress like Ellen Page would have been a great choice for heather because she similar qualities. Cute girl next door type who looks like a regular woman.Also helps that Ellen Page is a damn fine actress. This actress kind of has the 'girl next door quality' that Heather has...But not really. That's a real pisser, I knew someone like this would be cast, but it still is annoying as fuck.
      Ellen Page would be considered by plenty of people to be drop dead gorgeous or the girl next door.

What about Ellen would make her the better choice over Adelaide? Have you seen any of her work to make that claim? Adelaide seems to be a pretty good actress based on the few movies of hers I've seen. So I'm happy with the choice.

As for looks, Adelaide herself isn't perfect. Her laugh lines, for example, can be pretty pronounced sometimes. She does have nice skin though.

My expectations aren't too high at all. Here are my expectations for a video game adaptation: Use the goddamn source material. Use the story, use the characters, use the monsters. You don't have to use everything, but at least 60% of whats been established in the game you're adapting, needs to be used for the film. The remaining 40% is yours to play with as a filmmaker.

Worked for Mortal Kombat(only due to the MK developers helping write the script) everyone other game adaptation hasnt followed this rule and has failed because of it. Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Hitman, super mario brothers, the list grows.

Mark your calender now. The story on this turd is worse because its Silent Hill 3...using the first films story as its background.We have the witch hunter cult back, and the guy that Heather is trying to save there? Thats Vincent, ya know, this guy.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]6910[/ATTACH]

I have an AA in film making dude, I know how to read a script and a film. I'm not just your average iffy video game fan who hates video game adaptations. I know my shit. Despite having a new director who has some potential as a story teller, no. Just no.

This is going to be more of the same, it will have more action as this director likes his action(Solomon Kane 2009), its atmosphere will be on par with the first film,it might even have some more scares too, but the story is going to be a mess. Because hes using the same continuity from the first shit fest film, and that's the Achilles heel of this movie.

Just because its going to be a little better than the first film, doesn't mean its going to be any good.

Take my opinion with an extra grain of salt if you will.
      You haven't looked up anything on this film have you? lol

Michael J Bassett has said time and time again why he is doing what he's doing. He needed to make a sequel to the first movie, before all else. Silent Hill 3 is where he would need to go next, but he can't just ignore the first movie as much as some people would like that.

The witch burning cult will be back.....for like 5 seconds. The Order is being brought in like they should have been in the first place. Claudia will be running that show.

I don't know what changes he has made for Vincent yet, besides his age and look.

From his blog he has said he is trying to make it as faithful as possible, but there are changes that had to be made so that it fits with the first movie's story. Guess we will see if they work when the films out in October.

You have the right to not like the film, but there are explanations for why somethings aren't the way you expect them. Bassett, to me, seems like he is trying to fix some things wrong with the first movie. So I commend him on that.

Anyways, here's a new picture. Looks like Heather is on a carousel. Spoiler:

Last edited by atlier00; 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Its Vincent. Michael Bassett thought that Vincent from the game, while an interesting character, would be a throw away character in the movie. He's trying to make him a more relevant character in the film.

Yes, I already said this was Vincent. Relevant as in love interest relevant? Because thats where this appears to be headed.

You are making Adelaide Clemens seem like a drop dead gorgeous bomb shell. She isn't, she is cute though.
        So she doesn't have freckles or extreme under eye bags, is that really a big deal? Its not like Heather is ugly, she could look like this too if she just iced those eye bags lol.

"This actress kind of has the 'girl next door quality' that Heather has...But not really." -me

Ellen Page would be considered by plenty of people to be drop dead gorgeous or the girl next door.

So, by your opinion then?

What about Ellen would make her the better choice over Adelaide? Have you seen any of her work to make that claim? Adelaide seems to be a pretty good actress based on the few movies of hers I've seen. So I'm happy with the choice.

Lets see...Inception, Super, Hard Candy and Juno.

As for looks, Adelaide herself isn't perfect. Her laugh lines, for example, can be pretty pronounced sometimes. She does have nice skin though.

Your opinion, that's fine but this shows a lot of bias towards Heathers character design in SH3. Which is to this day, incredibly unique for a lead protagonist in a video game.

So when I said I was a guy with an AA in film who knows his shit, what makes you think I haven't checked IMDB a few times as well as read articles about the films development in some hopes that they would get their shit together this time around?

Michael J Bassett has said time and time again why he is doing what he's doing. He needed to make a sequel to the first movie, before all else. Silent Hill 3 is where he would need to go next, but he can't just ignore the first movie as much as some people would like that.

The first film was fuck awful, as an adaptation, and as a movie. It was flat, empty, boring and had some of the stupidest characters written on the screen I've seen in years. Using that story as a background for a sequel is just horrible. getting away with just referencing it is more than enough, but including the same stupid mother from the first film in the sequel is bad.

The witch burning cult will be back.....for like 5 seconds. The Order is being brought in like they should have been in the first place. Claudia will be running that show.

You haven't looked up anything on this film have you? lol Your words.

Ok then, heres some facts for you:

Claudia is played by Carrie Ann Moss, Claudia father is played by Leonard Malcolm McDowell. Both these characters are a big part of SH3s story(Leonard, not so much but hes back story important) both these actors are not people you;d cast for '5 se4conds' of film.

I don't know what changes he has made for Vincent yet, besides his age and look.

I'm not even sure you've played SH3 or know what you're talking about anymore. Vincent from SH3 is Claudias rival in the Order, unlike Claudia who is obsessed with creating paradise in the afterlife, Vincent is just interested in Carnal pleasure.

Hes helping Heather defeat Claudia for his own purposes.

This Vincent is most likely a love interest who is part of the order/witch hunter cult, who is going to betray Heather to the Cult and then try tosave her at the end, or is just going to betray her and get killed by Claudia anyways.

From his blog he has said he is trying to make it as faithful as possible, but there are changes that had to be made so that it fits with the first movie's story. Guess we will see if they work when the films out in October.

Never believe a director when they say this dude.This is a studio film, the studio is the one who tells him what to do. Hes only allowed so much creative freedom on the script.Unless this is an independent film and the director is also the producer and has a good budget saved up, hes going to conform to the studios demands.

As for this being a faithful game...How? By just adding in more characters and Valtiel? Not likely. SH3 was a sequel to SH1, it used similar settings that all had meanings.

The flaming carrousel? Pointless. Its just a special effect to look cool. But in SH1 its where Harry had to Kill Sybil(not sure if this was cannon or not) and it was also in the carnival(Dark Silent Hill) where Harry had to fight Sammael and the game had its finale. The games have a depth that the films never will in their environments.

But the fact that the first film we had the DeSilva family, in which the father was left alone after his stupid wife killer herself and their daughter going 85 MPH in poorly unlit mountain roads in the first film, and now all of a sudden we have Heather and Harry Mason from the first game, which was the basis of the first SH film...how is this faithful? This sounds like a mess.

You have the right to not like the film, but there are explanations for why somethings aren't the way you expect them. Bassett, to me, seems like he is trying to fix some things wrong with the first movie. So I commend him on that.

So...you say I have the right to not like the film, but are challenging it with silly immature comments surrounded by opinions based off interviews by the director and your own guesses? Fine.

I said before I do know what I'm talking about on these things, I may not know the industry in and out, but I do know how it operates. I've also been keeping up with this films development for the past few months, read up on Michael J Bassest IMBD page, watched some of his work, read some of the interviews you have and also keep an eye on what type of film this is starting to look like.

And you know what? The outlook doesn't look good.

Whats the one thing a studio pushes for when they get enough dailies and looped audio?
        They push for a trailer, they push to get a good looking trailer out fast because its an advertisement. You want as many people out there to know your product, and you want them to know as soon as possible.

This film has been in production in some form, for about a year now. While it most likely will be due to making the film look 3d, the fact of the matter is, why is this film that's about 13 weeks away, not had a trailer yet? Not even a teaser?

Even low to medium budget films get trailers and teasers cut as fast as they can, but this film is just now showing off a clip with 3 months to go. Thats incredibly suspicious, while it could be due to them still playing around with effects and stuff in post production, It still raises an eyebrow.

Generally the 5-6 months away from release date is when a trailer is released, as a common practice is case anyone is wondering.
        Last edited by Wrathborne; 07-16-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, I already said this was Vincent. Relevant as in love interest relevant? Because thats where this appears to be headed.

"This actress kind of has the 'girl next door quality' that Heather has...But not really." -me

So, by your opinion then?

Lets see...Inception, Super, Hard Candy and Juno.

Your opinion, that's fine but this shows a lot of bias towards Heathers character design in SH3. Which is to this day, incredibly unique for a lead protagonist in a video game.

So when I said I was a guy with an AA in film who knows his shit, what makes you think I haven't checked IMDB a few times as well as read articles about the films development in some hopes that they would get their shit together this time around?

The first film was fuck awful, as an adaptation, and as a movie. It was flat, empty, boring and had some of the stupidest characters written on the screen I've seen in years. Using that story as a background for a sequel is just horrible. getting away with just referencing it is more than enough, but including the same stupid mother from the first film in the sequel is bad.

You haven't looked up anything on this film have you? lol Your words.

Ok then, heres some facts for you:

Claudia is played by Carrie Ann Moss, Claudia father is played by Leonard Malcolm McDowell. Both these characters are a big part of SH3s story(Leonard, not so much but hes back story important) both these actors are not people you;d cast for '5 se4conds' of film.

I'm not even sure you've played SH3 or know what you're talking about anymore. Vincent from SH3 is Claudias rival in the Order, unlike Claudia who is obsessed with creating paradise in the afterlife, Vincent is just interested in Carnal pleasure.

Hes helping Heather defeat Claudia for his own purposes.

This Vincent is most likely a love interest who is part of the order/witch hunter cult, who is going to betray Heather to the Cult and then try tosave her at the end, or is just going to betray her and get killed by Claudia anyways.

Never believe a director when they say this dude.This is a studio film, the studio is the one who tells him what to do. Hes only allowed so much creative freedom on the script.Unless this is an independent film and the director is also the producer and has a good budget saved up, hes going to conform to the studios demands.

As for this being a faithful game...How? By just adding in more characters and Valtiel? Not likely. SH3 was a sequel to SH1, it used similar settings that all had meanings.

The flaming carrousel? Pointless. Its just a special effect to look cool. But in SH1 its where Harry had to Kill Sybil(not sure if this was cannon or not) and it was also in the carnival(Dark Silent Hill) where Harry had to fight Sammael and the game had its finale. The games have a depth that the films never will in their environments.

But the fact that the first film we had the DeSilva family, in which the father was left alone after his stupid wife killer herself and their daughter going 85 MPH in poorly unlit mountain roads in the first film, and now all of a sudden we have Heather and Harry Mason from the first game, which was the basis of the first SH film...how is this faithful? This sounds like a mess.

So...you say I have the right to not like the film, but are challenging it with silly immature comments surrounded by opinions based off interviews by the director and your own guesses? Fine.

I said before I do know what I'm talking about on these things, I may not know the industry in and out, but I do know how it operates. I've also been keeping up with this films development for the past few months, read up on Michael J Bassest IMBD page, watched some of his work, read some of the interviews you have and also keep an eye on what type of film this is starting to look like.

And you know what? The outlook doesn't look good.

Whats the one thing a studio pushes for when they get enough dailies and looped audio?
          They push for a trailer, they push to get a good looking trailer out fast because its an advertisement. You want as many people out there to know your product, and you want them to know as soon as possible.

This film has been in production in some form, for about a year now. While it most likely will be due to making the film look 3d, the fact of the matter is, why is this film that's about 13 weeks away, not had a trailer yet? Not even a teaser?

Even low to medium budget films get trailers and teasers cut as fast as they can, but this film is just now showing off a clip with 3 months to go. Thats incredibly suspicious, while it could be due to them still playing around with effects and stuff in post production, It still raises an eyebrow.

Generally the 5-6 months away from release date is when a trailer is released, as a common practice is case anyone is wondering.

Good lord, you misunderstood so much of what I wrote its not funny.

- That quote about the guy in the picture being Vincent wasn't directed at you, because I didn't quote you. So why you tried to acknowledge that you had "firsties" on saying it was him first, is beyond me. Anyways his supposed love interest role is hearsay at the moment till the film actually comes out.

- When I asked if you had seen "her" movies to make that judgement about Ellen Page being a better choice, I meant Adelaide's films. Have you? (I'll admit my wording wasn't as specific as it should have, but I figured you have obviously seen an Ellen Page film since you brought her up)

- So you are saying that its better to be judged on looks and not based on their acting ability? Because even if Adelaide's the better actress than some girl who looks like she hasn't slept in days with a million freckles, the other girl should get the part because she looks more like Heather. I'm really not trying to argue with you, but you make it seem like Hollywood hired some pretty WB generic "pretty" actress to play Heather. I think that is far from the case.

- Ok, I get that you got an Associate's related to film, but it doesn't mean you are somehow more credible to discuss a game based movie than the rest of us.

- "You haven't looked up anything on this film have you? lol Your words."

Yeah, they are my words...

I will say it now: The witch burning cult IS NOT The Order in the original film. They are two separate groups. Claudia will be in charge of The Order in this film. Leonard will still be her exiled Father. Bassett has stated this a few times already.

Glad you know what actors are in the film though. IMDB and your Degree come through again

- "I'm not even sure you've played SH3 or know what you're talking about anymore."

Did you even read what I wrote? I said I don't know what changes he has made of Vincent in this movie besides his age and look....YET. Meaning I don't know what else he did to him besides those two things. He could be a traveling circus flunkie now for all I know. OR he could be in a similar role he was in the game. I can't say till the movie is out.

- I'm taking Bassett at his word because what choice does anyone have? This is his first try with the series so I can only hope and pray for the best that he knows what he is doing. His other films have been ok, so I have no reason to fault him yet. Its not like its Paul Anderson and his "vision" of RE.

- You do have a right to dislike the films, but I have to point out that sometimes what you post is wrong. Its a different story when all the facts are right.

Also just to note, the original Silent Hill didn't get a theatrical trailer until about 3 months before it came out. Which is about the same time until this one does.

And the reason for the film not being out so fast, was the lack of a distributor. Which Open Road films stepped up to plate for. Look at "Cabin in the Woods", took 3 years for Joss Whedon to find one.

Comment

The reason the film too so long to make was due to Christophe Gans leaving the sequel, followed by Roger Avery about 7 months later(and vehicular manslaughter). After that various names were attached to the project during its development hell.

Glad you know what actors are in the film though. IMDB and your Degree come through again

Yeah, its funny how going to college teaches you to do research.

Did you even read what I wrote? I said I don't know what changes he has made of Vincent in this movie besides his age and look....YET. Meaning I don't know what else he did to him besides those two things. He could be a traveling circus flunkie now for all I know. OR he could be in a similar role he was in the game. I can't say till the movie is out

And this is where I can say that I'm damn positive Vincent is a love interest character for Heather in this film. I could explain why, but in all honesty you wont care if I do or dont, so I wont get into it.So we'll just leave it at this, this is the same problem that the Resident Evil films have...They have someone called 'Jill Valentine' but isnt really like the character from the games at all. Just one or two basics from their personalities and that's it.

I will say it now: The witch burning cult IS NOT The Order in the original film. They are two separate groups. Claudia will be in charge of The Order in this film. Leonard will still be her exiled Father. Bassett has stated this a few times already.

Never trust what the director says, unless hes the writer, producer, and has 'final cut' of the film. While Basset is the writer as well as the director, he doesn't have final cut of the film. Thats the studios choice and if they want to cut out the 25 minutes of the film that explain everything and make sense, in exchange for more monsters thats their call. They also can do this to the script unless its locked.

If the order is in this fine, but I highly doubt its going to be that close to what the order from the games is. Most likely there will be a huge goofy sacrificial ceremony with cultists praying to a giant statue of Valtiel, and that will be the studios compromise.

Ok, I get that you got an Associate's related to film, but it doesn't mean you are somehow more credible to discuss a game based movie than the rest of us.

I am more credible to discuss a game based movie,because its a game based movie. Its something I spent years learning. What you just said was "Just because you know more about movies, doesn't mean you're more credible to discuss movies". Would you say to Newsbot "Just because you can read Kanji, doesn't mean you're more credibly than we are when discussing translating Kanji"? Course not.

I'm not going to say I know everything, because that's as asinine as Uwe Boll, but I know several story arcs and character types by heart now dude.
            This isn't just random speculation, its a formula. Once you learn to recognize formulas, you know whats coming before it happens on the screen. It takes a lot of the 'magic' out of movies when you know these things, but it makes filmmakers movies who think outside the formula and do their own thing, all the more special.

Comment

The reason the film too so long to make was due to Christophe Gans leaving the sequel, followed by Roger Avery about 7 months later(and vehicular manslaughter). After that various names were attached to the project during its development hell.

Did you even read what I wrote? I said I don't know what changes he has made of Vincent in this movie besides his age and look....YET. Meaning I don't know what else he did to him besides those two things. He could be a traveling circus flunkie now for all I know. OR he could be in a similar role he was in the game. I can't say till the movie is out

And this is where I can say that I'm damn positive Vincent is a love interest character for Heather in this film. I could explain why, but in all honesty you wont care if I do or dont, so I wont get into it.So we'll just leave it at this, this is the same problem that the Resident Evil films have...They have someone called 'Jill Valentine' but isnt really like the character from the games at all. Just one or two basics from their personalities and that's it.

Never trust what the director says, unless hes the writer, producer, and has 'final cut' of the film. While Basset is the writer as well as the director, he doesn't have final cut of the film. Thats the studios choice and if they want to cut out the 25 minutes of the film that explain everything and make sense, in exchange for more monsters thats their call. They also can do this to the script unless its locked.

If the order is in this fine, but I highly doubt its going to be that close to what the order from the games is. Most likely there will be a huge goofy sacrificial ceremony with cultists praying to a giant statue of Valtiel, and that will be the studios compromise.

Ok, I get that you got an Associate's related to film, but it doesn't mean you are somehow more credible to discuss a game based movie than the rest of us.

I am more credible to discuss a game based movie,because its a game based movie. Its something I spent years learning. What you just said was "Just because you know more about movies, doesn't mean you're more credible to discuss movies". Would you say to Newsbot "Just because you can read Kanji, doesn't mean you're more credibly than we are when discussing translating Kanji"? Course not.

I'm not going to say I know everything, because that's as asinine as Uwe Boll, but I know several story arcs and character types by heart now dude.
              This isn't just random speculation, its a formula. Once you learn to recognize formulas, you know whats coming before it happens on the screen. It takes a lot of the 'magic' out of movies when you know these things, but it makes filmmakers movies who think outside the formula and do their own thing, all the more special.

- I meant it took so long for the film to get a release date, since it finished filming.

-Vincent very well could be a love interest and or possibly even a classmate of hers in this film. But no one will know that for sure until the films comes out is all I'm trying to say.

-You say don't trust the director on them actually being The Order? He has said it on his blog, Q&A written interviews, and on a video interview from Comic Con. I think its for sure going to be The Order.

Now will they be the same order from the game, is anyone's guess. But they won't be the same group from the first.

- I questioned you're credibility because you don't know the background of everyone on this forum. I for example have been watching films since I was very young (I love films especially horror films). I also have a Bachelors in Film and Animation. Does that make me more credible than you on this topic? No it doesn't

Because right now everything is speculation. We have a handful of pictures, one short video clip, and a vague synopsis of the film's plot. Full judgements can't be made yet. This movie could be an utter pile of shit for all I know, but I won't know until midnight on the 26th of October.

Comment

I quite enjoyed it, I found the first hour of the first film to be the best video game adapatation ever. Though the less said about the second half the better.

But I'm optimistic about this, I'm happy Sean Bean and Rhanda Mitchell are back, and I quite liked that clip.
                http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

I questioned you're credibility because you don't know the background of everyone on this forum. I for example have been watching films since I was very young (I love films especially horror films).

I'll have you know I do know the background of everyone on this forum.Spencer told me me everything, I know Darkmoon is secretly a Wizard, that Newsbot is part Cyborg, that Alexia is a magic cowgirl that shoots rainbow bullets from her pistols and flies a dragon aroun

I also have a Bachelors in Film and Animation. Does that make me more credible than you on this topic? No it doesn't

Depends, Do you do everything? Write scripts, storyboard, animate everything, and do you do this once every now and again? Or do you do this all the time?

Comment

[B]
                    Depends, Do you do everything? Write scripts, storyboard, animate everything, and do you do this once every now and again? Or do you do this all the time?
                    I had to write several scripts for a few classes as practice before my final senior class, which required me to make an animated film:

So Scripting, Animatics, Modeling, Animating, Sound Design and VO directing. It was a lot of work.
                    Last edited by atlier00; 07-18-2012, 10:20 AM.

Comment

DO you still do that on a daily basis?

Comment

I didn't realise we needed PHD's to discuss our appreciation for film these days.
                        http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                        http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                        Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

We're debating over extra grains of salt.

Comment

And it's getting annoying. It's a movie, stop measuring dicks. On topic, people.

Comment

DO you still do that on a daily basis?
                              Yes, working on several short films at once. When I'm not working.

And to be back on topic, Here's the SDCC SH:R panel:

Part 1

Part 2

http://youtu.be/FNtHELtUBJU

EDIT

Trailer will be out this Friday on the 27th!
                              Last edited by atlier00; 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I don't know what to make of this film.. I don't think the CGI looks as good and it makes the movie look fake as hell.
                                At least in the first film, most of this was achieved by models and actors dressed in resin or whatever they use for prostetics.

The SH3 storyline intregued me, but I dunno if this film will be good or not.

I liked the first film, until the characters reached the church section - it just got silly .. straying from the games like Resident Evil Extinction and the later films did.. they aren't even the same thing as the first one with the Mansion Lab..
                                "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Working...
                                X