Downpour: Vatra maybe closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downpour: Vatra maybe closed

Vatra Games, the Czech developer of Silent Hill: Downpour, is in danger of being closed. Eurogamer Czech got wind of th…

Sad to see. While the game had some technical issues, it was a fairly solid title and a good return towards the old Silent Hill titles. Shame it just didn't sell well enough but thats more Konami's marketing and decision making than the development being the problem.

The games prior to it sucking didn't help much either.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Yeah, very true... that didn't help it's sales chances either.

Comment

That sucks. Just when the series looks like it's getting back to it's feet *WHAM!* a crowbar to the back of the knee.
        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
        Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

And now it becomes likely the next entry will be a run and gun co-op slaughterfest to boost ratings. Yay.

Comment

worked fro RE5.

Comment

Grabbed a pic of the next Silent Hill game currently in development. SPOILER WARNING....

Spoiler:

Comment

Hopefully Downpours sales will tell Konami to stop making games that play like PS1 titles. WTF with the crappy combat system Downpour had, no excuse for that kind of ancient crap being in a full blown retail game in 2012. The puzzles and exploration were a step up from Homecoming, though many 'puzzles' weren't really so, all else was outdated design and mechanics from PS1 era, it didn't deserve good sales and it didn't get them.

Silent Hill needs a massive overhaul, doesn't need do what Resident Evil did but upping the combat mechanics so they are actually fun and engaging for the player should be a basic feature, take Alan Wake as an example with the flashlight weakening or stunning, the dodging mechanic it uses as enemies attack. That level of engagement is miles ahead of Downpour and it is still incredibly limited to most games of today, probably need go further than AW though because even that game didn't get great sales until price plummet.

You need be forced to actually fight the enemies also, running away as an option just makes combat worthless, I sped through Downpour on hardest and just flat out ignored and run past most enemies, waste of time having the game spawn them for all the threat they pose. If the game sets up enemies and forces you to fight them then the game becomes more enjoyable especially on repeat playthroughs, Downpour was flat out boring second playthrough.

I'm sure the old games purists will hate such a change but Konami should stop caring about them, they aren't buying even when you get something like Downpour that panders exclusively to them.
                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Silent Hill already did what you're talking about with Alan Wake when they did 'Shattered Memories', and I don't think Alan Wake is a good example of what Silent Hill should do, because Alan Wake sucked as a game. The story was stupid, the controls were so-so, the infinite enemy spawn problem was ridiculous, and the energizer battery ads...really?

Mediocre Game with stupid story, terrible lip sync on the cut scenes, bland atmosphere and mixed up with ads.
                  Not cool at all.

Silent Hill needs Team Silent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys;230123WTF
                    with the crappy combat system Downpour had, no excuse for that kind of ancient crap being in a full blown retail game in 2012.
                    This.This.This.
                    Last edited by aris13; 07-27-2012, 04:43 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                      Silent Hill already did what you're talking about with Alan Wake when they did 'Shattered Memories', and I don't think Alan Wake is a good example of what Silent Hill should do, because Alan Wake sucked as a game. The story was stupid, the controls were so-so, the infinite enemy spawn problem was ridiculous
                      Hahahahaha, what?

Story was quite engaging, and messed with a lot of literary concepts, and plays with even more freedom in the two DLC chapters.
                      The controls could use some improvement... on the 360 version. PC fixed that, they're very responsive now.
                      Infinite spawn problem. A horror action game with enemies constantly bearing down on you? Who'd have thought it?
                      The Energizer batteries didn't bother me at all. The one thing that absolutely did though, was the Verizon ad in the crazy bin. Thankfully it's optional, but it totally trainwrecked the atmosphere (which was quite thick at times I think).

Comment

Yer on yer own there dude, not going to make fun of your opinion on a game I think sucked, but the infinite spawn problem was stupid.Its not a feature that was meant to be part of the game, it was sloppy programming.

Comment

in this thread; People moaning about survival/horror games becoming shooters, whilst ignoring the fact that they're the ones wrongly trying to play them as such

Comment

Oddly I loved it, the music being done by the Dexter guy drew me in, and I loved it, and played it many times to get different endings. I love Silent Hill just as much as my Resident Evil and this looked and played great on the big tv. the otherworlds were different but it worked. and i jumped a few times too and in the end thats what you pay for. fun and scares!

Comment

Working...
                            X