Hayao Miyazaki announces retirement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hayao Miyazaki announces retirement.

Really sad to see this happen, but he's 72 and has given people almost 4 decades of amazing stuff.
    So hes retiring from directing any more feature films, he might still write some stuff but theres a chance that he could be finished entirely too.

Seriously I remember reading in a magazine back in 2001 about his plans to retire, and Spirited Away was suppose to be his final film.

Personally I've only seen Princess Mononoke from start to finish, all the other works somehow eluded my radar, only caught some bits and pieces here and there.

Comment

Dude, you need to see Castle of Cagliostro. Its free online(legitimately) at Youtube, just do a search.
      Last edited by Wrathborne; 09-01-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I saw this on tumblr. It's sad that he's retiring, but he is pretty old.

I really enjoyed Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away as a kid. And I still do lol. Spirited Away is my favorite though.

Comment

Porco Rosso is so underrated.

sigpic

Comment

"I'd rather be a pig than a fascist"

Porco Rosso is really good. I don't think things have been that great after the high of Spirited Away, but their releases are something I look forward to, despite the mixed results.
            Last edited by Code_R; 09-02-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Thank god Ponyo is not his final film.
              sigpic

Comment

Thank god he came back after Earthsea though. A real disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Code_R View Post
                  Thank god he came back after Earthsea though. A real disaster.
                  That was Goro.

With his father gone it's time for him to step up.
                  sigpic

Comment

That's what I mean - I thought he retired once before, but he was like son, I am disappoint. No idea how true this is.

Comment

He tried to retire, but still had some spark in him.

As for Goro, well...Hes done more than I have as an animator. But seriously its gotta be vicious being Miyazakis son and an animation director. Thats a shadow he'll never manage to escape.

Comment

Spoiler:

Still kinda hope we'd see a second take on Nausicaä (either as a movie series of sorts or a TV series). The old movie captures the essence so darned well, but it cuts things horrifyingly short and more or less concludes things roughly 1/3 into the full story.

Comment

Nausicaa has that kind of 80s vibe though, I don't think they could recapture it now.

Comment

I think the 80s vibe is exactly why it should be given a second go. Not to change/fix it, but to "bring it back". (Besides, post-apocalyptic stuff is enjoying a rich life on all fronts these days too). And ... besides, if stuff like Journey to Agartha can be made, there's certainly room for the later third of Nausicaä too -- In fact, they should just get Makoto Shinkai involved if they ever did it.

Comment

Well it was a manga before it was an anime, so its not really bound to the era it was created in.

Comment

Working...
                              X