No announcement yet.

Hayao Miyazaki announces retirement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's unfortunate but it was inevitable. His movies and all of the other producers that worked on the Studio Ghibli collection will have their films etched into my childhood.

Laputa will forever stand my favourite film of all time. Although not his most popular work I adored everything about the movie since I first watched it.

I've actually never seen Nausicaa but I heard it was in the same universe as Laputa - or well, Laputa in the same universe as Nausicaa. Me and my boyfriend are collecting the Ghibli films so it's just a matter of time until I watch it.
    Last edited by Gradon; 09-05-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
      Well it was a manga before it was an anime, so its not really bound to the era it was created in.
      But Ponyo and Arrietty show a clear drop in quality next to Laputa and Nausicaa - that's really what I meant.

Comment

True, but the audiences they were aimed were kids. Nausicaa has a lot of death and violent situations in it that kids wont understand. Especially when the giant is fighting the church and dying horribly.That would really traumatize kids.

Comment

I'd say Nausicaä's got enough nightmare fuel to seriously disturb anyone. Regardless of age and stomach.

Also, dat soundtrack -- which, bar the very 80s synth stuff at parts of the movie, is pretty much timeless and some of the greatest to've ever graced the silver screen (and also what I'd dare say, as a whole, is Joe Hisaishi's best);

There are 3 things I want of Miyazaki and / or Studio Ghibli in my life time;

1. Full adaptation of Nausicaä
          -Because of reasons.
          2. Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli to approach the Lindgren estate again
          -Somewhere between Astrid Lindgren's death and the usage of the same animation house that did the horrible Zelda CD-I animations, someone must regret rejecting the Pippi pitch that ultimately evolved into Kiki's Delivery Service enough that they'll let Ghibli just knock 'emselves out with any Lindgren product of choice if they asked.
          3. Porco Rosso sequel
          -Great universe. Think Miyazaki himself has said several times he'd like to revisit it. Generally not too fond of most of the recent adaptions of licensed work.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
            True, but the audiences they were aimed were kids. Nausicaa has a lot of death and violent situations in it that kids wont understand. Especially when the giant is fighting the church and dying horribly.That would really traumatize kids.
            Pfft. Kids love this kind of thing.

Comment

Ooh, I forgot about Kiki's Delivery Service. I loved that one!
              Last edited by Renard; 09-07-2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

I think we want to have some free time to enjoy the life.

Comment

anyone know if good quality production material exist for little nemo and pippi?

Comment

Originally posted by B.Zork View Post
                    anyone know if good quality production material exist for little nemo and pippi?
                    This official Little Nemo pitch created by Studio Ghilbi is all that is left of what could have been ...

Comment

aw! i really love his work, i watched howl's moving castle recently-- it inspired me to start working on this :
                      DeviantArt is the world's largest online social community for artists and art enthusiasts, allowing people to connect through the creation and sharing of art.

Comment

Nice work, you have the look of the landscape down

Comment

thanks so much . i've always loved the flower area with the cottage in that movie--it was such a cool idea; doing laundry by a mountainside and having tea there too lol

Comment

Comment

^ See I told ya people. Miyazaki will keep this ball rolling for another 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by MiLØ View Post
                                ^ See I told ya people. Miyazaki will keep this ball rolling for another 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X