Making my own website (*Need* advice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making my own website (*Need* advice)

For a while now, I've been toying around with the idea of making my own website. There's plenty of free resources & templates available, so it shouldn't be all that hard, right?
    Wrong.

Basically, as easy as everything looks to operate & put together for a great deal, there's still one problem; I don't really know the first about making a website that a) might catch someones attention, and b) would not look like a mess concocted by someone with zero coding skills.

Rather than waltz on here going 'So who wants to do this stranger who hasn't even properly introduced himself a favour for absolutely nothing?', I'd just like to ask for advice on this. Here's what I'd like to do (Although I'm not sure if I could do it all with a free template):
    - A front page with an introduction about myself, what I do & what the site is for (My voice acting & writing)
    - A series of connecting pages, including;
    • A gallery to upload some of the thumbnails & other pieces I create for both forms of media.
    • Individual sections to upload/more likely embed videos from YouTube (as well as possibly the option to have one or two of them on the front page as well) & post my writing chapter by chapter.
    • A blog/news segment.
    • (Possibly) An 'about' segment. I have a feeling that would be rather helpful >.>
    • The option to contact me, preferably through a system that involves typing up the message on the website then sending it to an email address.

Since I'm incredibly inexperienced with this stuff, I'm looking for something that would be easy to use, customisable & have the capabilities to give me everything I need from it. If anyone can help, then thank you. I appreciate it.

For that nothing complicated is needed.. go to http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress and buy a template for WordPress (you can demo them). Add it to your WordPress set up and start creating content. It will fit well for your needs.

For info about hosting your website, just go annoy some sales rep at hostgator or somewhere similar until you understand it - then go to an even cheaper place

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
      For that nothing complicated is needed.. go to http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress and buy a template for WordPress (you can demo them). Add it to your WordPress set up and start creating content. It will fit well for your needs.

For info about hosting your website, just go annoy some sales rep at hostgator or somewhere similar until you understand it - then go to an even cheaper place
      Thanks for the info, although at these prices I'd best just leave it for the foreseeable future. Funding is unfortunately not an option right now >.>

Comment

There's a good selection of free Wordpress themes around, just do a bit of Googling and you'll find plenty ;D

Web hosting wise, there's some good deals as well, you'll need a webhost and a domain name - if you get both from the same place you probably won't even need to link them up, the company you go with will do it for you that way. They usually have a control panel that will install Wordpress for you as well so it's literally sitting back and clicking a few buttons!

Comment

Originally posted by Greko View Post
          There's a good selection of free Wordpress themes around, just do a bit of Googling and you'll find plenty ;D

Web hosting wise, there's some good deals as well, you'll need a webhost and a domain name - if you get both from the same place you probably won't even need to link them up, the company you go with will do it for you that way. They usually have a control panel that will install Wordpress for you as well so it's literally sitting back and clicking a few buttons!
          This actually seems more manageable, it being free & me apparently being a tightwad Though you do bring up that valid point of 'Why didn't I do this sooner?'

However, the web hosting would still be a different issue. But while I have that financial concern, I think the advice given to me both yourself & Scream rather heavily indicate it wouldn't cost all that much if I play my cards right. I'll see what I can turn up

Comment

ooh, voice acting--that sounds awesome! best of luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by SinValentine View Post
              ooh, voice acting--that sounds awesome! best of luck to you
              I use Wix.com. Very easy to use, and you website will be very interactive. Highly recommended.
              sigpic
              www.unitedstateslines.net

Comment

Working...
              X