Lets Talk HD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets Talk HD.

So, I finally decided to give into HD in preperation for getting my PS3. I'm going to settle on something that takes a maximum of 1080i (ideally I only want 720p). Reason being because the room i'm going to be putting the HDTV in is relativly small, and I play pretty close to the TV by default. So i'm thinking about getting a 19", only £180 with a crapload of inputs, HDMI, Component and S-Video, basically the only things I need. Also PC input, so I can ditch the current monitor I have. The only thing is, due to HDCP being an all-in-one signal format, NTSC is completely gone from this TV in regards to anything running in standard (which is comprised of any RF and S-Video inputs). This is not that big of a problem. As i'll be using Component cables for the PS2 and Gamecube (main consoles I use that don't use any other HD output), I was hoping Dot50Cal could help me out with that part by telling me what the general price for them is =P

The only real thing I can't do is play the Dreamcast in NTSC mode, which is fine, as mine is practically locked at 50hz anyway when playing NTSC games and such. I'm going to wait until just around Christmas before buying one though, the price will surely drop by a few quid hopefully. Plus I only need it by the time MGS4 comes out.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

A friend of mine purchased this for his PS3, its pretty good, and does 720p and im assuming 60htz too.

I kind of lucked out with HDTV's, the old man won a competition last year on TV which got us a 360 and a top of the line HDTV with pretty much every setting under the sun available on it.
    Never get to use it though for games -_- so im probably gonna pick up one of those monitors on the link

Comment

Back when I was doing research on what TV to get I ended up deciding on a 46" Bravia XBR3. It really was one of the only televisions that supported what I wanted and had a good response time and black levels.

Problem is I tend to forget all the knowledge I gain after a few months when it comes to consumer electronics. Though it wouldnt be much use since the market moves so fast. I'd say look into a good set by Sony, dont go with cheapo brands because you'll end up paying for it later when you come across issues like overscan.

Comment

The 42 inch samsung *forget the digits i'll look for the manual later* is pretty good, but for some reason it doesn't like storing things to memory, like screen sizes etc, it'll store everything else but won't stick to the same screen size for longer then 45 mins without switching to auto wide default, same for PiP etc it'll work for 45mins then swap back to normal, never been able to find out if its a fault of the TV or just something in all HDTV's though.
        Beginning to think the TV might be a shop/prototype display deal or something, we did get it 2 months before it hit US or UK retail cause we won said competition.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/336251...I/Product.html

A friend of mine purchased this for his PS3, its pretty good, and does 720p and im assuming 60htz too.
          I actually might just get this one. Lower response time, better contrast ratio (dynamic), larger overall and contains every input I could ever need =D

Only complaints I see in the reviews come from people playing on 1080i (and complaining about the subsequent blur that is inevitable with an i signal ). Sound system doesn't sound good at all, but screw that, i'm hooking up some insane surround sound

Comment

I'd advise you hook it up to sound systems anyway, most HDTV speakers stink.
            But yeah, Im gonna be putting in an order for my one sometime next week

Comment

Hah, yeah. Almost certainly going to go for this one. The only *real* problem seems to be with the screen "bleeding" on all edges. My current one bleeds, but it only does for about one minute, then just disappears. I guess it won't be that big of a problem anyway =p

Comment

I wouldnt buy that monitor/tv. Wierd ass native resolution, so 720p wont look quite right, nor will 1080i.

Comment

When you're on tight budget like I am, and its just a substitute HDTV so I can use when im not on the other one, the size variations don't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Borman View Post
                    I wouldnt buy that monitor/tv. Wierd ass native resolution, so 720p wont look quite right, nor will 1080i.
                    Hmm, you're right. That is a strange resolution. But anyway, i've been looking at another one, pricier, but oh well, it's got everything I need more or less

Comment

That is a far better one, little out of my pricerange though *was only given 250 from the family for graduating*, but I guess I can always work to bank the rest.

EDIT: On second thought, I might reconsider that and look for something else considering its specs and relatively poor reviews.
                      Last edited by The Dude; 07-29-2007, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Its hard for me being in the US, since the prices and availability are so different over there.

Comment

Hm, well. My search for a HDTV that is below £300 has proved fruitless thus far.

I might just get this: http://dme.ghost2.net/hdfury/

It costs up to £80, but i'll be damned if it's not worth it. It can turn any widescreen LCD TV/monitor with VGA input into a beast. Perfect for my current one, and a good future-proof purchase until I get enough money to go for a decent HDTV.

Comment

Perhaps if you didnt buy the PS3 and bought a cheaper, better console you could afford an HDTV?

Hmm, anyway, that little thing seems kinda pointless to me. If you could convert any RGB display to HD do you really think HDTV's would be selling? You won't get HD quality from it.

If you want an HDTV for under £300, you're gonna be hard pressed to find one. I did spot THIS ONE for £380 though

Comment

Perhaps if you didnt buy the PS3 and bought a cheaper, better console you could afford an HDTV?
                              I already have a 360.

Hmm, anyway, that little thing seems kinda pointless to me. If you could convert any RGB display to HD do you really think HDTV's would be selling? You won't get HD quality from it.
                              Well it won't be "oh shit true hd", but it'll be close enough =P And from the reviews, it does work.

If you want an HDTV for under £300, you're gonna be hard pressed to find one. I did spot THIS ONE for £380 though
                              That's a great one. I'll keep an eye on it until Christmas, hopefully the price will drop down a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X