Recently Seen Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trent View Post
    What does that indicate seeing that you have a signature banner referring to what seems to me the Black Swan movie, BBboy20?
    That I've seen the film.

Comment

• And what think you of it?
      Freedom of Information.

Comment

• Recently bought Waiting... on Blu-Ray. I love this movie and Ryan Reynolds.

Ryan Reynolds is my man crush.

Comment

• Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
          Ryan Reynolds is my man crush.
          Watch Buried.
          sigpic

Comment

And what think you of it?
            .... &

Watch Buried.
            I'll plan on doing that next weekend.
            Last edited by BBboy20; 12-28-2010, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by aris13 View Post
              Watch Buried.
              Any good? No one I know has seen it.

Comment

• True Grit.

Go see it. Now. <3

Comment

• Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
                  Any good? No one I know has seen it.
                  I went to the theater knowing nothing about the film and I was blown away. Reynolds gives the best performance of his career and the director shines with his ability to create such tension in a film like this from start to finish. Hitchcock would have been proud.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Not really a film, but a TV show.

I saw all 3 seasons of Breaking Bad. Definitely recommendable and it has been rated as the number 1 TV show of 2010 in Time magazine.
                    Freedom of Information.

Comment

Not really a film, but a TV show.

I saw all 3 seasons of Breaking Bad. Definitely recommendable and it has been rated as the number 1 TV show of 2010 in Time magazine.
                      I agree. Me and Gareth are eagerly awaiting the next season. I didn't think I'd like it but it's a very interesting show. Walter and Pinkman make the show for me.

Comment

Not really a film, but a TV show.

There's a thread for recently seen tv shows.

Comment

• Can't seem to find it, link me if you have it in your crosshairs.
                          Freedom of Information.

Comment

• Black Swan

The first film I've seen by Darren Aaronofsky, though I've been turned off by his efforts after I saw a good amount of Pi and a particular scene in Requiem for a Dream. Both instances convinced me that his style of horror (though he's obviously not a horror director) was a wee bit too visceral. Disturbed the hell out of me. Some wonderfully chilling stuff in this film but thank God it doesn't tear at me like the others do. That's not really the point of this fantastic picture though.

It does a fine job establishing its central character in many different ways. We should assume that the film is from Nina's perspective, and it reinforces this well with the sets, Natalie Portman and others' performances, and the awesome, tense, close-up camerawork. An excellent psychological picture which makes good use of the immortal doppelganger theme.

My friend suggested this to me before I saw it, and nearly every critic pointed to the film's Polanski inspirations. Damn right. It owes a lot to The Tenant, Rosemary's Baby, and Replusion for their imagery and the sheer isolation each main character feels as their mental capacities decay. I've heard a few people lazily compare it to David Lynch for its "hallucinatory" images but that's off the mark for me.
                            Last edited by GuardhouseMusic; 01-01-2011, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• It is unfortunate to hear that you did not enjoy Pi and Requiem for a Dream. As you said, those movies are definitely not horror, nor should they considered so. They are typical work by Aronofsky, where psychological factors are the main things.

Happy to hear that you enjoyed Black Swan, it premieres for us in February, so we have a long way to go...
                              Freedom of Information.

Comment

• Oh it's not that I didn't enjoy either of those films. For one thing, I was way too young to have appreciated them (IIRC I was on my way to see Shrek when my sister reached the "refrigerator scene"). For another, it takes way too long to approach anything that scares me significantly, even if I genuinely like it and I want to see it again. That's the thing, effective horror films or dramas with frightening elements work way too well on me.

Comment

Working...
                                X