Recently Seen Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
    All 3 in one sitting? I can barely watch one of them these days unless I take a few breaks by pausing the movie now and then. Great movies, no doubt. But they're way too long.
    Yeah, I have the same problem with the Lord of the Rings movies; it's mainly the Fellowship of the Ring that I have the most problem with because it is just too much set up and dragging on and on. I understand the need to get the ball rolling, but still. The Two Towers I can sometimes get all the way through...Same with Return of the King, but yes, agreed, they are indeed very long movies.

The Thing (2011)

Now, granted, I've never seen the original so I don't have much to compare this to, but oh, dear God, I found this movie boring as hell. We find a creepy life form. Creepy life form kills all the people. Small band of survivors "think" they have destroyed creepy life form. I think it just followed too much of a typical horror/sci fi movie for me. I did like the concept, and I can definitely see where Dead Space and Silent Hill get some of their inspiration (as I am guessing the monster is fairly similar in the original).

The Help

Yes, ultimately, a chick flick, but with Emma Stone in it, I was quite interested (though she looked more like Lindsay Lohan in this, so I wasn't too pleased about that. The whole Ginger look isn't attractive to me). Anyway, living in the Southern part of the United States, I definitely know African-American woman who are exactly like those maids. I even know one that I would not at all be shocked to hear she fed her boss a pie like the one in the movie...One made with feces!

Immortals

I didn't go into this expecting too much, so I really wasn't disappointed. It basically just reminded me of 300 with Greek Gods added into it.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Xander Ashford View Post
      The Thing (2011)

Now, granted, I've never seen the original so I don't have much to compare this to, but oh, dear God, I found this movie boring as hell. We find a creepy life form. Creepy life form kills all the people. Small band of survivors "think" they have destroyed creepy life form. I think it just followed too much of a typical horror/sci fi movie for me. I did like the concept, and I can definitely see where Dead Space and Silent Hill get some of their inspiration (as I am guessing the monster is fairly similar in the original).
      That recent movie got everything wrong about the Carpenter flick. That movie wasn't merely a creepy life form movie. But it was mostly about paranoia and how being in that state can have negative affects on human relationships. That old film was trying to depict the same crazy paranoia that was prevalent in the society of that time, due to the cold war. That's what made it depressing and dark. It was that part, the one that made the 80's remake so memorable (oh yeah, it wasn't even the original film. It was also a remake).

The new remake/prequel only imitated the sci-fi/creature elements and avoided the parts that made the previous film a very entertaining character study film. And that's why you cared a lot about the characters in the previous film and why you don't give a shit about the characters in the new one. And despite the fact that there is still a lot of paranoia today in our society (big government coming to take guns, rights & Bible away from me), the new film didn't feel like tackling that side of what made the last one so entertaining. FAIL.

John Carpenter's version did inspire some of what was seen in Silent Hill and Dead Space. But it also inspired Resident Evil. The B.O.W.s have a lot of stuff that comes straight from the creature designs from that 80's film. With eyes, limbs placed on the body in weird places. In RE4, there was a lot of that. The Colmillos dogs were shamelessly based on the husky dogs with tentacles seen in the film. Saddler and Ramon Salazar transformed into creatures that were similar to the "head-spider" and the "Blair monster". The "hentai monster" in RE5 was probably inspired by hentai tentacle sex mangas/animes. But hentai/Anime of the tentacle sex sort, started a few years later after the Carpenter movie first came out. Coincidence? I think not. Even the recent Resident Evil: Revelations game makes direct references to the 80's film.

The Thing from the 80's, the Aliens films and Terminator 1-2 are some of those films that inspired a lot of games. I don't believe the prequel of the Thing will inspire anything.... I don't think so.
      Last edited by Pikminister; 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM.
      Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
      sigpic

Comment

• Iron Sky!

That's where it's at, boys 'n' girls.

Go see it. 'Nuff said.

Comment

• Xander, see the Carpenter film now. Don't argue, just do it. The film is work it even if its 30 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
            Xander, see the Carpenter film now. Don't argue, just do it. The film is work it even if its 30 years old.
            Haha, I will have to see if it is still on Netflix; I remember I did have it in the instant queue at one time, and even watched the first five minutes. I can't actually remember why I stopped watching it.

Being Human (U.S.)

I finally finished watching the thirteen episodes of the American version of Being Human, and yes, I've heard that the U.K. version is better by about 7 people. The only reason I watched one over the other was because the American version has Sam Witwer (the model and voice actor for the main character in The Force Unleashed for those of you just dying to know). I'm a bit disappointed that each version of the show only had one season when it seemed decent. Now, granted this isn't the best television out there, but it definitely seemed like something that could have kicked around up until about season 3 or 4.
            sigpic

Comment

• The Thing (1982) is a masterpiece.

Side note - I loved Battle Royale back in 2002 when the DVD was released but haven't seen it recently. Have heard enough about The Hunger Games to give it a try despite obvious comparisons. Rental at best though.

Recently watched - bunch of Star Trek movies, lastly The Voyage Home.
              Last edited by Code_R; 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• The Cabin in the woods.

A milestone for modern horror.
                sigpic

Comment

• The Cabin in the Woods.

...in Wheedon We Trust.

Comment

• Kuchisake-Onna (The Slit-Mouth Woman 2)

It still amuses me that in this one, we have two characters dressed almost exactly like two characters out of Clock Tower. Jennifer in CT2 and Laura in CT.

If footage is lined up with some of Argento's films, it's entirely possible to make them work together.
                    sigpic
                    Non-blurry Signature Version
                    Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

• Cabin in the Woods, everyone go see it now. xD

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	drivecomic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	401089

Comment

• Subscribe to Valerie Records channel http://bit.ly/1vt7V8DCollege & Electric Youth - A Real HeroFrom the Original Soundtrack of the motion picture 'DRIVE'Buy...
                          sigpic

Comment

• I'm still amazed a film utilized Kavinsky in such a perfect way.

Comment

• Rewatched Alien for the first time on Bluray last night in preparation for Prometheus, and holy fucking shit the quality is out of this world. I doubt the movie looked as good as it does on bluray as it did in theatres, it's an absolutely staggering transfer.
                              http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                              http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                              Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

• You saw Alien in theaters? O.o

Comment

Working...
                                X