No announcement yet.

Recently Seen Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night I went to a special screening of "The Yes Man", the new Jim Carrey flick. Wow, there was so much security there you'd think you were going to a presidential press meeting ( I guess there's a lot of movie leaking these days ). Anyways, some parts are kinda cheesy but all in all I would recommend it. Jim Carrey very rarely dissapoints, until of course he tries to do serious movies
    Last edited by REmaster; 12-11-2008, 01:24 AM.
    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

• Hey, any serious movie starring Jim Carrey is better than Me, Myself and Irene, that was just crude. I mean, I like a certain level of dirty humor, but that was just not Jim Carrey. Dildo jokes? Seriously?

Comment

• Ha, yea that's probably why he took like a 3 year break after that movie cause he probably wasn't getting any good scripts.
        Last edited by REmaster; 12-11-2008, 01:29 AM.
        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."

Comment

• Judging by the looks of "YES Man", it looks like he's still not getting any good scripts.

And Me, Myself and Irene is fucking legendary.

Comment

• I do have to admit there are a few parts where you really start to doubt the writer's intentions, skill and sense of humor. Lots of cheese, but it's not too bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biohazard EX View Post
              Right, so if it's out on Blu-Ray and DVD, what the hell is the point of re-releasing it in theatres.
              Titanic might not have had the script quality of "The Big Kahuna", but the sheer scale of it. The effects, and the way they depicted the tragedy, and the story itself that it told. It was all top notch. Better than The Dark Knight, anyway.

The thing I'm worried about most, is that if Dark Knight became the best selling movie in history, then all those joker fanboys and DK fanboys in general, who went to watch it in IMAX 3 times... Every time I'm gonna try and say that it's an overrated movie and that it's not all that brilliant as people say, they're gonna say, "Just look at the sales."

Frankly, Titanic was overrated when it came out, but these days people criticize it for all sorts of reasons, which is GREAT. Because it can be used as an excellent example of why the best sales don't always reflect the best movie, like you said. Which would be very helpful in any argument.
              Oscar buzz, that's all. I'm assuming you're being sarcastic with the Big Kahuna reference

As far as quality comparisons go between TDK and Titanic, it's certainly debatable and I personally feel that Nolan is a much better director than Cameron. He's just more meticulous and original (The Prestige is a masterpiece in my view). Having said that, I do feel that TDK is overrated and Batman Begins was a better movie.

BB like Donner's Superman, laid out the genesis of the character very well and respectfully (staying true to the comics' essence). BB had a proper sequel with TDK, while Superman didn't have one until 2006 which needed some re-shooting (The Richard Donner cut of Superman II, not the embarrassing Superman Returns).

Burton's movies were great (he is my absolute favorite director), but the material was his own without caring much to the original source material (Batman killing villains being a sore spot). And Lester... well the less said about his Superman movies, the better. Particular the third one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
                Oscar buzz, that's all. I'm assuming you're being sarcastic with the Big Kahuna reference

As far as quality comparisons go between TDK and Titanic, it's certainly debatable and I personally feel that Nolan is a much better director than Cameron. He's just more meticulous and original (The Prestige is a masterpiece in my view). Having said that, I do feel that TDK is overrated and Batman Begins was a better movie.

BB like Donner's Superman, laid out the genesis of the character very well and respectfully (staying true to the comics' essence). BB had a proper sequel with TDK, while Superman didn't have one until 2006 which needed some re-shooting (The Richard Donner cut of Superman II, not the embarrassing Superman Returns).

Burton's movies were great (he is my absolute favorite director), but the material was his own without caring much to the original source material (Batman killing villains being a sore spot). And Lester... well the less said about his Superman movies, the better. Particular the third one.

I'm not being sarcastic. Big Kahuna had a great script. And the actors delivered it amazingly.
                I don't know, Cameron brought so many franchises into the light, so many spectacles. Terminator, Rambo, Aliens.

Superman Returns, I thought was a great movie... But you might notice a pattern with my bias toward movies starring Kevin Spacey.

All I'm saying is that The Dark Knight was not a "Brilliant Spectacle" like people consider it. It was good. Solid. The script was good. The acting was good. The effects were good. There was only one scene which I thought was awe inspiring and that's the hospital exploding. Other than that, all it had that other superhero movies don't have is an extra hour of dialigue, which, frankly dragged.
                The one thing that sold this movie so well was Heath Ledger passing away.
                If Patrick Stewart passed away shortly before the release of X-Men 3, I bet it would've sold just as well.

Comment

• Uh, let's not bring that up please. Had Ledger been alive, his performance would've garnered attention regardless and the movie had all the ingredients of a great summer blockbuster. Batman is still a far more popular character than any of the X-Men, especially with moviegoers.

I'm a big Superman fan, so my biggest beef with SR was the poor characterization of Superman. He was a whiny attention whore, who stalked and overheard private conversations. And the script was basically a love letter to Donner; a homage to the classic but not as good as a film.

Spacey could've done more with the part, but it's not his fault. Him and Routh were the only good people in the cast, and Bosworth's performance was painful to watch. The only good thing about the movie that it's a great demo disc for lossless audio. That is if you have the HD-DVD version or the hard to find BD reissue.

Supes deserves better than that, so hopefully the reboot will do him justice. Incidentally, this Xmas day will mark the 30th anniversary of the first movie.

Comment

• I want to see Death Race, but it just got out of the cinemas yesterday

Oh well, DVD rental will be good enough.

Watched True Lies and Resevoir Dogs yesterday. Great flicks Had the popcorn with me, too.

I also think that a lot of the TDKs success had to do with Heath Ledger's death.
                    Last edited by Helegad; 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• I don't think Heath Ledger did anything extremely amazing with Joker.. I mean, if he came up with his mannerisms, then he gets points for innovation, I guess. But what he did wasn't anything amazing. I could do that, and I don't consider myself that amazing of an actor.

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                      I want to see Death Race, but it just got out of the cinemas yesterday

Oh well, DVD rental will be good enough.

Watched True Lies and Resevoir Dogs yesterday. Great flicks Had the popcorn with me, too.

I also think that a lot of the TDKs success had to do with Heath Ledger's death.
                      Seriously? It's like, coming out on DVD and Blu-Ray here... Tomorrow, I think. Or this past tuesday. Either way, it's already out on home video here.

Comment

• I'd just like to say that I really liked TDK. I'm a huge comic book nerd and that movie is one of the better comic adaptations (along with SM2, BB, and IM). It's sure as hell isn't one of my favorite movies ever but it's good.

On that note, I really love the Joker, especially TAS Joker. However, I can't say that anymore without being branded a TDK bandwagoner or mistaken for some Joker fanboy. I curse TDK for this.

Comment

• I'm not saying it wasn't good. I just don't think it was a brilliant spectacle like people hyped it up to be. Like, I don't see it as somehting to go see in IMAX 3 times.

Comment

• Same here. I saw it twice, the second time was because I got a free ticket so why not, right? It was a good all-around movie but if anything Aaron Eckhart deserves an award, not Ledger.

Comment

• Yeah, he did a better job than Ledger. But I still wouldn't give it an Oscar. But then I don't know what their basis on judging the actors. I mean, I'd have to watch every movie that came out this year... And hey, IF nobody else did better, then yeah. But in the years past, I've seen many parts better delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biohazard EX View Post
                                I don't think Heath Ledger did anything extremely amazing with Joker.. I mean, if he came up with his mannerisms, then he gets points for innovation, I guess. But what he did wasn't anything amazing. I could do that, and I don't consider myself that amazing of an actor.

Yup, mannerisms and the violent edge were all his; he lived in a hotel room alone for a month to pin point the character. He really came off a threatening maniac as depicted in the Killing Joke. It was great acting. Much better than Jack Nicholson copying Cesar Romero's version.

Eckhart did a great job too, and the only low point in the cast was Eric Roberts' so-called Italian accent. It was embarrassing.

For the record, the movie needed to be see in IMAX as the best parts are shots in the format. The BD reproduces the experience closely, so it's the definitive version (two aspect ratios). The audio is also a good step up from the theatrical version.

It is my 3rd favorite comic book adaptation, behind BB and Superman.

Comment

Working...
                                X