broken laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken laptop

so i broke my laptop today it got dropped and landed on the power prong that is plugged into the laptop and now it wont charge. i think the piece that connects the power plug to the motherboard broke off cuz i heard something snap. the worst part is i just put a $255 processor in it 2 weeks ago. anyone know how i can fix it?

It's still under warranty take it to where you got it from if it's not open the case an have a look yourself.
    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Oh no, dude, that's bad. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to buy a whole new motherboard, and there's a 50/50 chance that's the case.

Sorry man, but you're knee deep in shit right now.

Comment

yea its out of warrenty since its almost 2 years old. i was thinking about trying to solder the connector back to the motherboard

Comment

Only if you can solder good, i've the seen retards on youtube that try making psp battery mods etc. If you can though use a pinpoint soldering iron "can't remember it's real name" and a suction desolderer.
          If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Chances are that all you need is a bit of glue.

I had a similar thing happen to an old Packard Bell of mine earlier. The plastic "grips" that holds the connector piece in place broke off thanks to a bit of force, so whenever the cable would be plugged in, the connectors would be pushed back so no connection would be made. I fixed this quickly by just opening the laptop case and attach the connector piece with some non-flammable modeling glue.

Ofcourse, you might not be that lucky and might have to drag out the soldering iron. But usually, power connectors on laptops are either stand alone with a good piece of wire to go on OR they are soldered to a board of some sort with some pretty solid/huge soldering points (So if one of them breaks off, building a "bridge" or repairing it isn't exactly the biggest task in the world, even for someone without any soldering experience.)

Comment

Packard Bell...

*shudders*
              See you in hell.

Comment

im not that good soldering ill prob do more damage than good. there is a computer repair place in town ill try taking it to tonight though im sure they will charge me an arm an a leg. if it was any other hardware prob i would just fix it myself since i build computers as a hobby. soldering on motherboards just makes me nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                  Packard Bell...

*shudders*
                  Long story, but to make it short:
                  I was sitting there with my Inspiron 9100, out in the middle of nowhere, when the AC adapter broke down on me. The options were limited, so I just went over the specs of everything available in the local electronics store and bought the one that'd do the trick. (Infact, the only wonky thing with that sucker is that in order to access the second ram slot you'll have to disassemble the entire thing.)

Also, mamock116, if the soldering iron frightens you and the thousands of points you'll have to unscrew in order to open the thing, dropping by a local repair shop or the guy doing the whole electronics education (if available) at your local secondary school might do the trick.

Comment

i took it to a local pc shop and they are charging me 100 bucks to fix it

Comment

Sounds like a steal for something that might just be a 15min job without the need for anything but some glue (if you're lucky).

Oh well, everyone's gotta make a living out of something, I guess. Hopefully they'll at least give you some sort of warranty on the job they do for you, I assume?

Comment

100 bucks is about 2 hours worth of labour. Fair enough.

Comment

so he was not able to fix it so im out that money and i have to either buy a new motherboard or a new computer so its a pretty sucky situation

Comment

Working...
                          X