First Max Payne movie review! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Max Payne movie review! :D

You can merge this topic with the main MP movie topic after a few days, but please keep this seperate for a while. I want people to know what they're walking into.

My review:

When walking into Max Payne, I expected a no-holds barred action film, with bullets flying everywhere and bullet-time overload. However, as soon as the Roscoe Street Station segment was over (which was really short anyway and ended with quite a bang; you'll know what I mean when you see it ) there was quite a bit of chatting, walking, and finding leads. Action sequences were very short and sparse within the next 70 minutes, but you may think that this is a bad thing from an adaption of a game that is ALL about action. But somehow the movie still manages to grab you and keep you wondering what's gonna happen next; essentially, it remains interesting.
    Spoiler:
    Now for a random comment: one part that was really funny was when Mona was blasting all these guys away, then the scene suddenly cuts to Max who bursts into a room wildly and uselessly shooting a gun at a wall for no reason Everyone laughed, even though I get the feeling it wasn't meant to be funny.

My final verdict is a 7.5 out of 10.

Great movie, I'll definitely be buying it!

Pros:
    - Great story, stays faithful to the game, if not altering a lot of the details everywhere.
    - Director John Moore managed to keep the sadness and depression evident throughout the whole film.
    - Amazing special effects in the last scene, and the last scene in general was a definite 10/10.
    - Finally, a decent video game to film adaption

Cons:
    - Too much talking, not enough action.
    - Some of Max's screaming was laughable.
    - Too short.
    - Really didn't warrant the MA15+ rating, but should have been R in America.

(P.S: My dad loved it, so that's a good sign He doesn't like 50% of movies he sees.)
    Last edited by Helegad; 10-16-2008, 07:40 AM.

Not enough action means not worth watching on cinemas (at least for me)
    Sevket's Game Collection
    PSN Gamercards

Comment

I've read a good few reviews now, and yours is the first positive one. I'm still looking forward to this, but I'm not expecting anything too great. Plus, the first Max Payne game had a pretty crap story compared to the second one.

Comment

I'm accepting of a lot of movies. My main critisism was the amount of talking, not shooting.

IMDB so far has a 7.7 rating. Not bad at all, and it lives up to my score too
        Last edited by Helegad; 10-16-2008, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Helegad i hope you right, i am watching the movie tonight.

The action scenes reminded you of John Woo movies or not?
          sigpic

Comment

Not really. Pretty fast-paced and crazy.

Comment

As you have said it starts slowly but once you understand everything it becomes a great movie. I really liked it 8/10
              Sevket's Game Collection
              PSN Gamercards

Comment

Helegad you were right i saw the movie and it was pretty good, everything i expected from an action film was there and i don't think that the movie was boring.
                sigpic

Comment

Only thing I wish that certain very sexy female character had more screentime
                  Sevket's Game Collection
                  PSN Gamercards

Comment

Is Mona Sax in the movie?

Comment

Yeah, she's a bigger character in the movie than in the game.
                      Sevket, were you talking about Mona or her sister. 'Cause her sister stars in Hitman (very revealing in some parts... ) and she's gonna be the new Bond girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                        Yeah, she's a bigger character in the movie than in the game.
                        Sevket, were you talking about Mona or her sister. 'Cause her sister stars in Hitman (very revealing in some parts... ) and she's gonna be the new Bond girl.
                        I know about the game. But it was long time ago so I cannot remember everything very well.

Yes I talking about Natasha (Olga Kurylenko) she is the bomb
                        Last edited by Sevket; 10-18-2008, 12:23 AM.
                        Sevket's Game Collection
                        PSN Gamercards

Comment

Originally posted by Sevket View Post
                          Yes I talking about Natasha (Olga Kurylenko) she is the bomb
                          Yeah she is really hot, she will star alongside daniel craig in the new bond flick.
                          sigpic

Comment

She's practically naked in Hitman, so check that movie out

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                              She's practically naked in Hitman, so check that movie out
                              Already saw it
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X