No announcement yet.

What would you do in my situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lmao threatened physical abuse. The tuba really isnt heavy. My backpack is heavier then the tuba at this point. I could lift the tuba when i was in 4th grade, and i wasnt a big dude then. Its up to a STUDENT to get help, not up to the teacher, which is why so many people crash and burn once they hit college. He deserved every bit of it. Like i said, its normal for a band director to make you stand up and play your note if its wrong. If you hate band, stop wasting other peoples time, including the director, and get the hell out.

Comment

It’s up to you to get help when it’s a situation where you need to improve yourself for your benefit. When someone in charge wants you to perform up to a certain standard, then it’s up to them to help you reach that standard. Employers don’t hire people and say “Okay, we want you to work for us and do this, but we’re not going to teach you how to do it, that’s your responsibility.” You keep insisting that dragon is one of these idiots who just join to slide along when that information isn’t even attainable from the discussion. And the amount of illogical fallacies in your attempt to prove that he deserved that kind of treatment is astounding. You’re part of a team trying to perform a task, if you can’t do your job, someone better than you does it until you can do it. If there’s no one else who can take up his position on that instrument, then either he plays it, or no one plays it, and that’s not a false dichotomy like “love it or leave it,” those are the only possible outcomes. The band director is the one responsible for everyone working together, just like a fireteam leader is responsible for his squad successfully completing their objectives. If dragon can’t play up to the ability she needs, it’s HER job to either help him reach that level, or substitute him. Berating him and threatening him achieves neither of those goals. No one deserves that treatment, stop over generalizing. We know you can play and that you can carry tubas, that has nothing to do with the situation and it in no way justifies her behavior.
      Last edited by Nikovich; 11-16-2005, 12:44 PM.

Comment

No, you must go for help. Employers arent going to baby you to do your job. When its time for you to perform, they expect you to do it. Here, he obviously didnt. The teacher did what any other teacher would do. Whatever the note, im sure its not outside his skill level. And if you cant play at your skill level, its up to YOU to get help.

On a side note, have you ever even played or sat in a band class? If not, then you really dont know what you are talking about.

Comment

Wrong. They train you, (training for which THEY pay for by the way.) They made an investment in you when they hired you and it would cost even more money to just fire you rather than shape you into what they want. It's not easy to lose your job; the same concept that can get you free meals at fast food places applies. It costs more money and causes more trouble to fire the employee than it does to reassign and train them. When the time to perform came (which still hasn’t come seeing as how this occurred in practice and not concert, but for the sake of simplicity), he didn’t succeed in his duty, and in both the classroom and the workplace, that doesn’t result in emotional mortification. That teacher did what any other teacher who is regularly fired for abuse did, not what any other teacher would do. And I know that because I’m a certified teacher. Was the note within his skill level? I guess it was, since you’re sure of it, but what happens to the majority of people’s skill levels when they’re pressured with the responsibility for extra work assigned to everyone in the class? And before you start going off on how good you are under pressure, again, you-are-not-the-subject-here.

Have I been in a band class: Yes. Why, would not being in a band class mean I don’t know proper teaching procedure? I’d have to be in a band class to know that such negative reinforcement does nothing to help someone succeed? I thought I just needed a remedial education in either sociology, psychology, philosophy, ethics... or just common sense. Since you ask if I know what I’m talking about from experience (even though just about everything you say reflects an ignorance of the situation besides what you can do with an instrument) have you ever received any training and education in teaching or even just conditioning?

Comment

Someone just concede please? As long as you two keep it civil Ill let it go but its just getting rediculous now.

Comment

The simple thing is that he isnt playing at his level, and he comes out saying that he hates band. Is it a teachers job to make sure you go home and study in any class? No. Is it a band teachers job to make sure you go home and practice? No. You cant TEACH someone to play a note, you cant force him or her to memorize it. You have to physically work up your chops to be able to play it. A teacher WONT be able to help you play a note.

Comment

Working...
              X