X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Evil Shady- View Post
    @ Skunky: Philip K. Dick > all
    He's my favorite author =D

I'm almost finishing the Buick, and now I'm between Jack Kerouac's "On The Road" and "Through The Looking Glass" o.o
    Have you seen the recent print of On The Road? It's printed like the original, he wrote it all on a continuous roll of parer, and according to the blurb un-censored.

Comment

I think I heard something about that edition, but I haven't actually seen it...
      Since this book is being sold on newspaper stands here in Brazil. Since those are REALLY cheap, we're probably not going to get that edition in here. I could import it though, but I don't know...

Anyway, started a new book today, "Meu Nome Não é Johnny", by Guilherme Fiuza.

A translation of the name would be "My Name is not Johnny", and the book tells the story of a middle-class young man who had a brilliant future ahead, working in a bank or something. His father knew a lot of famous people and had everything sort of planed out for him.
      He started selling cocaine, just for his friends at first, but the business got huge and when he saw it he was one of the biggest drug dealers in Brazil. He got arrested, did his time and now works as a musician.
      This book was adapted to a movie recently, but I don't think there's an english version of it =/

Comment

I've been reading Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers on and off lately. When I was in middle school and high school I read all the time. Seems to be getting more difficult for me to focus my attention on books lately

Comment

Here are the details for the scroll:

I remember a few years ago watching with fascination the original scroll being auctioned. You can read more about it here:

I've just finished Commandant Of Auschwitz by Rudolph Höess.
          I'll have to look through all my books to see what is next. Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post

I've heard good things about Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian." Can anyone vouch for it?
            I tried reading it several years ago...but I stopped midway through because of other books. Never got around to rereading it, but what I read was good.

Currently I'm reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk.
            sigpic
            Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

I finished the final book in the Dark Tower series by S.King...
              It was good but I reckon it kinda went downhill after the 4th book.

I'll be heading to the library tomorrow to grab a few new things. It good to see some recommended stuff here.

Comment

I'm reading The Shining. Lovin' it so far.

Comment

I am currently reading the Human Mind; It's Functions and Capacities. It is actually quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
                    i just got done reading "Johnny Got His Gun"
                    its a very good book, with some parts that i would honestly hate to happen to me.

its about a young man who goes into WW1 and gets hit by a bomb
                    and gets his arms and legs blown off and gets put on life support and cant talk,see,smell
                    or hear
                    theres this one part where hes in bed and a rat starts to eat him and he cant do anything
                    about it
                    damn that would hurt and be annoying
                    I liked the part where the guy is talking about getting shot in the stomach after breakfast. Watching the food run out of the hole in your gut. It's pretty graphic for a short book.

Comment

Last night at work I read 'I Am Legend' written by Richard Matheson in 1954.
                      It's a good book.
                      I still havn't seen the movie (which I presume is based on this book) but I'll probably rent it soon. I can already imagine it will be very different to the book. Probably just 'inspired by the book' or (loosely) 'based on the novel'.

Fun Fact: the book was already made into a film called 'The Omega Man', staring Charlton Heston.

Comment

i just finished 'Twilight' and now I'm starting reading 'New Moon'... i almost can hear... or read what you're going to say about it

Mostly i read latinamerican novels, some about romance, mistery, etc.

Anyway, i like Stephen king too, that guy is so... weird... is like he enjoys the suffer of his protagonist!!!
                        Last edited by RE-Hiro; 02-12-2009, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                          Last night at work I read 'I Am Legend' written by Richard Matheson in 1954.
                          It's a good book.
                          I still havn't seen the movie (which I presume is based on this book) but I'll probably rent it soon. I can already imagine it will be very different to the book. Probably just 'inspired by the book' or (loosely) 'based on the novel'.

Fun Fact: the book was already made into a film called 'The Omega Man', staring Charlton Heston.
                          Also, it there was a movie called Last Man on Earth based off the book. After three tries, none of those films have been even close to accurate

Comment

I Am Legend is very different than the movie. For one thing, the main character in the book is an alcoholic, and is one of the most unlikeable characters in literature.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Mason View Post
                              I liked the part where the guy is talking about getting shot in the stomach after breakfast. Watching the food run out of the hole in your gut. It's pretty graphic for a short book.

oh yha it is but still its really good, thank god for 80's metallica cuz with out the song "one" i wouldnt have
                              found out about the book and now i really like the book, i need to watch the movie tho

Comment

I can't read for leisure. I'm in college.

I dread reading now.

Comment

Working...
                                X