New terminator salvation trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Kennedy View Post
    Actually, T1 was more about determinism, then Cameron decided to change the future.

So T3 actually reverted back to what T1 was about.
    What the hell? No way. While I agree that the original theme seemed to have started with that as an underlying comment, mainly due to the Reese = Dad deal, the ending clearly doesn't show that at all. Sarah drives towards the storm under the cloud of an unknown future not knowing what to do. That's open ended without any conflict of outside decision because we don't know the character arc after that and she hasn't been driven towards a resolve.

Once we do, additionally the first two movies seen as a whole is about making your own path because the second film builds Sarah's character into someone, who from the events of the first film, wants to be ready to have John make the changes and decisions he'll have to do to save the world, making his _potential_ fate (and I stress this, because John is rebelling against this idea while his mom is in the nuthouse and he has to make the decision to be this leader) the best possible outcome, which while taking the idea has removed it to the point where they destroy Skynet before it exists. Sarah made the decisions to do this, not had them forced upon her through previous events. The first film ends again with an unknown future based on the idea that history is changed, setting a new path. Which oddly enough does lead into T3 - which nulls the point of saying you cant change events when they ALREADY JUST DID.

Regardless T3 does not return, instead while it does basically says "you have your plate, don't f**king complain about the shit you have to eat because there is nothing you can do to change it" it then contradicts itself. It couldn't be anymore obvious other than the fact that the movie has a specific ending and this is actually said in the film, and that is NOT the same theme as the original or it's own storyline. It appears to be determinism yes, defined from beginning to end, but then contradicted by the fact they send the T-X back to kill people who had existed in it's future, thus changing the path in an event that hadn't originally taken place. Oh yeah, after they'd already changed things once already anyway.
    Last edited by Rombie; 03-03-2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
      What the hell? No way. While I agree that the original theme seemed to have started with that as an underlying comment, mainly due to the Reese = Dad deal, the ending clearly doesn't show that at all. Sarah drives towards the storm under the cloud of an unknown future not knowing what to do. That's open ended without any conflict of outside decision because we don't know the character arc after that and she hasn't been driven towards a resolve.
      That's not what I got out of it. What I got was her knowing what the future instills for her son. That's why when the mexican says "There's a storm coming," she replies, "I know." There is no "unknown future" with that ending, quite the opposite actually. Why would the future be unknown? She made no attempt to change it, that didn't happen until T2. The ending is Sarah knowing the future and being prepared (to train John Connor.)

It seems like you are getting the ending of T1 confused with T2. T2 ends with them driving down the road of an unknown future, T1 ends with Sarah driving into the coming storm.
      Last edited by Mr. Kennedy; 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

No, I haven't. Knowing a storm is coming is one thing, but your comment on this requires direct action as a line of consequence, but Sarah is still not as strong as she is in T2. Yes she knows there is something coming. But she has no idea still what she needs to do to a) potentially help John or b) even potentially what can be done to change things.

Considering these themes go into the way T2 happens, I don't count the ending of T1 like you do. But I'll just agree to disagree with you.

Comment

FUCKIN' ASS.

Comment

Are we talking about the game or movie cause both look amazing, I am intersed to see how the rouge terminator plays into helping John Conner, and if the 3rd or 2nd film will follow suit to T3 when it says the arnold terminator did kill Conner or are they re-rewritting history in a sense.

(Long time Terminator fan.)

Comment

We're also talking about Bale's spazz out.

Comment

-Shruggs- I can understand "Why" he did it to be honest, I mean I have seen all of his movies my friend Matt is a huge fan, and I can see why he is a hardcore Method actor and really does get into his role.

BUT... I think he was also immature in what he said, he should of did it in another fashion and acted his age.

Comment

Anyone else notice Bale is dressed like RE4 Leon in one scene in that trailer?

Comment

Working...
                  X