Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can cellphone batteries explode if dropped violently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can cellphone batteries explode if dropped violently?

I was charging it when I accidentally sent my cellphone flying really hard on the floor and it fell apart. Can I just throw the battery in the trash? It only risks exploding if it's hot or I try to recharge it right?

since when did cell batteries explode?

Comment

I doubt it will, since there is no possible chemical reaction other than heat that would make it explode, if it's leaking or if parts from within have split out the sides then I wouldn't recommend using it.

If you're really unsure, just buy another battery and keep it as a spare.

Comment

maybe we should ask "Mythbusters".

Comment

Unless you threw it at a cast iron floor with a catapult followed by a sledge hammer, it should be ok, i've dropped my V235 cellphone hundreds of times, the worst it did was buzz nastily.

Comment

Thanks, I think I'm not gonna chance it and buy another one.

Originally posted by hellrizer View Post
            maybe we should ask "Mythbusters".
            ahah I know I'm lame, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Afaik battery related injuries can happen.
            Last edited by The_15th; 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_15th View Post
              Thanks, I think I'm not gonna chance it and buy another one.

ahah I know I'm lame, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Afaik battery related injuries can happen.

Its funny watching mythbusters screw up plus its awsome watching them trying to blow stuff that doesn't work at first then all of the sudden BOOM!! right in front of their face!! (not really in front of their face)

Comment

Originally posted by The_15th View Post
                I accidentally sent my cellphone flying really hard on the floor and it fell apart.
                aka. someone pissed you off with a text message

Comment

I don't think they can. Same thing happened to my dad, except it wasn't accidental, in the middle of a large crowd inside a mall. Cellphone worked just fine.
                  Seibu teh geimu?
                  ---

Comment

Helegad: nah, I was charging it at the office and I pulled the chord by accident.

biohazard: It was Crefol and Mad Jackal!!! D: They found me and rigged mah phone!!!
                    Last edited by The_15th; 04-01-2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

As far as I know batteries only explode if they are overcharged, but that's more a risk if you're using a metal/acid battery which can produce a lot of Hydrogen gas from overcharging. Normal cellphone batteries are typically either Lithium ion or Nickel/Cadmium or some other formulation.

In the case of Nickel-Cadmium, you have cadmium as the metallic electrodes and nickel oxide hydroxide (NiOOH) as the acid.

-- If the negative electrode is overcharged, hydrogen gas is produced.
                      -- If the positive electrode is overcharged, oxygen gas is produced.

Thanks for that NiOOH.

That's why the anode (negative) terminal is always designed for a higher capacity than the positive terminal to avoid releasing hydrogen gas. Although releasing Oxygen is also dangerous, it's not nearly as reactive as hydrogen... To avoid rupturing of the cell casing, most batteries are usually vented, with seals that fail at high pressures. The sealing mechanism then has to reseal properly after the gas is relased. Since this is a rather complex mechanism (which you don't need for alkaline batteries) is why these batteries cost more...

Lithium Ion is cheaper, which is why you find it more often in electronics, but even though they may be more efficient for holding a charge, these batteries also need many security devices built in to them. They are required because the anode produces heat during use, while the cathode may produce oxygen during use. In essence, they reduce or eliminate the risk of fire or explosion

[/end lecture]

Comment

[QUOTE=Project Omega;91521]As far as I know batteries only explode if they are overcharged, but that's more a risk if you're using a metal/acid battery which can produce a lot of Hydrogen gas from overcharging. Normal cellphone batteries are typically either Lithium ion or Nickel/Cadmium or some other formulation.

In the case of Nickel-Cadmium, you have cadmium as the metallic electrodes and nickel oxide hydroxide (NiOOH) as the acid.

-- If the negative electrode is overcharged, hydrogen gas is produced.
                        -- If the positive electrode is overcharged, oxygen gas is produced.

ahh good ol science class

Comment

Working...
                        X