Internet problem - please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet problem - please help!

For the past month my internet has been really slow. I'm on an 800kbps connection, but I'm getting 20kbps on average with webpages. The only thing I can think of that could have caused this is getting new phones, but I've unplugged everything but the router and that still hasn't fixed it.

Strangely enough, BitTorrent works fine at full speed.

Even stranger, when the phone is being used (ie. talked on), the internet runs absolutely fine.

Also, I'm not the only one who is having these problems. My sister's laptop's connection is just as slow as mine.

It's not a problem, it's the number of people sharing the internet speed the provider in your area; internet traffic. P2P/Torrents will remain fast because of how the bandwidth is being shared. Your phone line/internet provider is the reason of your slow internet speed. There's nothing you can change unless you upgrade or change your internet privoder.

Comment

But it's been absolutely fine before. Good fast webpage loading and 700kbps SourceForge downloads...

Comment

shit like this occasionally happens to me too, if you're using one of those little DSL filter box thingies with your phone line, that might be the root of the problem.

Comment

I'm using a Netgear DG834GV router. I don't think I have anything fancy going on, just a standard broadband setup linked to iiNet.

Comment

Are you using a Cinco brand Taargus router?

Comment

Uhh, no, I don't think so. It's a Netgear, unless you're referring to some other component hooked up to the router. Care to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                Uhh, no, I don't think so. It's a Netgear, unless you're referring to some other component hooked up to the router. Care to elaborate?
                I dunno. I use the Taargus to connect to the Innernette when I need to download some new NetteTunes or to fax a G. D. order form! I know nothing about NetGear!

Comment

I'm just gonna ignore whatever you write from now on. I love it how you call me a troll, then write shit like this. What a hypocrite.

Anyway, I worked out the problem. My highly intelligent mother hooked up a phone in the guest room that had been causing problems with the internet before. The guest room is seperate from the house, so her reason was: "I thought it was far enough away!" Guess she never thought of the fact that we only have one phone line on our property.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                    I'm just gonna ignore whatever you write from now on. I love it how you call me a troll, then write shit like this. What a hypocrite.

Anyway, I worked out the problem. My highly intelligent mother hooked up a phone in the guest room that had been causing problems with the internet before. The guest room is seperate from the house, so her reason was: "I thought it was far enough away!" Guess she never thought of the fact that we only have one phone line on our property.
                    You should have more respect for your mother, you silly little boy!!!

Comment

Dot, Alexia, anyone else who is a mod.

Please lock.

Comment

Working...
                      X