No announcement yet.

Vampires... Real or Fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Vampires, and always enjoy watching vampire films and movies.

I think the legend of Dracula was started by a man named Drugula The Impaler, who lived somewhere in Europe (Transylvania?). He used to impale is victims on a pole and drank there blood afterward.

And Ive heard stories about modern day vampires too. There's a City in the state below me where there was a reported Vampire living there. This guy sneaked into a young girls apartment while she was out, killed her pets and hung them up and drank all there blood, then hid in her closet and when she fell asleep he came out, killed her and drank her blood too. The police caught him later and he claimed that he was a real life Vampire. Freaky stuff.

And on the topic of Vampires, can we also talk about Werewolves and there origins too?

I heard that the legend of the werewolf was started by witches in the dark ages. Supposedly the head witch in a coven could transform herself into a large manlike wolf on certain occasions or to hunt down and kill any witches thinking of leaving the coven. The wolf was said to be unstoppable, could it be a werewolf?

Comment

Zombie = Dead Human + Piranha
      Vampire = Dead Human + Bat
      All in all the work of fiction just like Frankenstein.
      Last edited by kevstah2004; 05-28-2009, 05:49 AM.
      If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post

I think the legend of Dracula was started by a man named Drugula The Impaler, who lived somewhere in Europe (Transylvania?)
        His name was Vlad Dracula and he was from Romania.
        sigpic

Comment

Where "Dracula" comes from. There are Vampire stories going back way before him, though, so he's not the be all and end all of vampirism.

In terms of real "vampires", google "Sanguinarianism".

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
            I remember I had a brief flirtation with vampire lore when I was in middle school, but being the kid I was, it was restricted to, ehh, anime portrayals. I did see a Hammer film with Christopher Lee as Dracula though. Vampire Hunter D has always been one of my favorite OVAs. Plus there's this George Romero film that I've been meaning to see for a while called Martin. Definitely a more modern interpretation of "vampires." Thanks for the book recommendation.

VHD <3
            I love Vampire Hunter D. The newer one's pretty awesome too.

Comment

Well, blood-drinking, burning is the sunlight vampires aren't impossible.
              Though they are highly unlikely.

Comment

@xdeadpan:
                1. I read the book and saw the film at about the same time. And Pitt wasn't annoying or whiny. He was perfect as Louis. Only thing htey added in the film was how he killed a slave and then burned the plantation. That scene was very powerful.

2. There's a very clear erotic element in the books. Between Lestat and Louis, Louis and Claudia and Armand and Louis.

3. What, you never heard the many shouts of "emo!!!" at Angel (froM Buffy), Louis or any other character who has emotions? It's a word without meaning when used like that.
                Last edited by Becky's Butt; 05-28-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Becky's Butt View Post
                  1. I read the book and saw the film at about the same time. And Pitt wasn't annoying or whiny. He was perfect as Louis. Only thing htey added in the film was how he killed a slave and then burned the plantation. That scene was very powerful.
                  Okay? That's your opinion. I was simply stating mine.

2. There's a very clear erotic element in the books. Between Lestat and Louis, Louis and Claudia and Armand and Louis.
                  Not what I was saying. Almost every vampire novel/film includes erotic elements. I don't have an issue with that. I have an issue, however, when vampires actually have sex, because as I said, it's meaningless when their biting is synonymous with intercourse. Erotic elements =/= sex.

3. What, you never heard the many shouts of "emo!!!" at Angel (froM Buffy), Louis or any other character who has emotions? It's a word without meaning when used like that.
                  Again... whut?

Comment

I read a shit load of vampire books, if I remember right the first known cases were something to do with a disease that corpses can get where the dead body fills with blood until it purges from the nostrils and mouth. In one account a "spirit" of a dead person was seen walking in the village he was from and the spooked villagers dug up his grave to discover the body was filled with blood..

And a little bit on werewolves..There was a story in France about some guy wandering in some woods and he met a guy who was dressed all in black riding a black horse and he had a crown of deer antlers. So he handed a belt made of wolf pelt to this guy and when he put it on he was transformed into a werewolf and then went on to kill several people before the locals caught him..he was tied to a wheel then all his limbs were broken, then he was beheaded and finally burned at the stake...

Comment

If you want to see a real Dracula movie, and possibly the best vampire movie ever...not to mention my favorite movie of all time, you should watch "Bram Stoker's Dracula", starring Gary Oldman, not the classic version (no offense). Sure, Winona sucks at her acting in some parts, as well as a few other actors, but Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing and gary Oldman as the various incarnations of Dracula is truly amazing. It's also great because it's not just your usual action/bloodfest that vampire films have become, but it's also a love story, combined with awesome visionary effects that everyone can appreciate. Oldman = Greatness.
                      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

its all about Blackula!

Comment

There's a reason why the whole stereotype exists about emo/goth kids swooning over Anne Rice and other more modern day vampire novels. I have worked in a library for five years...I see it every day. There are so many copy-pasted vampire romance novels out there that the entire vampire genre has ceased to be about how they are monsters, and now have them being nothing but sexy men that do nothing but live rich and eventually fall in love with the Mary-Sue (most often at first sight), and have very little to do with anything vampire.

I've read several of Anne Rice's vampire novels, and tried to read her newer books. Her writing has really been terrible lately, at least in my opinion. In her later part of the vampire series, her writing simply wasn't the same. And I'd love to see where I said IWTV wasn't a good movie. Queen of the Damned yes, that movie sucked. Interview was very nicely done. Saying it has become emo-fodder isn't the same as saying it sucked. And I agree with Xdeadpan.... Pitt did a moderately ok performance, but Cruise was much better.

As far as Buffy/Angel...I never watched them except for the first season of Buffy. I always thought the Buffy movie was much better than the series.

Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
                          its all about Blackula!

Blackula was...so full of lulz. Also...Love at First Bite is a great classic in terms of vamp romance comedy.
                          Last edited by Bertha; 05-28-2009, 11:49 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

oh yes! Blackula was great. its pretty much my favorite vampire movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                              As far as Buffy/Angel...I never watched them except for the first season of Buffy. I always thought the Buffy movie was much better than the series.
                              I really liked the movie as well, too bad it's getting a remake/reboot, as if it needs one.

Comment

How could you people be forgetting the two best vampire films of all time?

Comment

Working...
                                X