Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gameplay or story? whats more important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to watch me play then ;)

EDIT: You don't really need it in the main game. Definately need it in mercs with Carlos and Nicholai.
    Mad Jackal doesn't get anywhere near enough love
    Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 07-03-2009, 05:57 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
      You need to watch me play then ;)

EDIT: You don't really need it in the main game. Definately need it in mercs with Carlos and Nicholai.

LOL

im sure your good Gene.

though i will admit you do need it in RE3 mercs and no it doesnt get enough love.

Comment

It's a mixed bag really, sometimes a game with poor gameplay is playable just because it's telling a great tale and you want to finish the story, and sometimes game with horrible stories are fun to play because their gameplay is unique and exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
          yha thats it the biggest part was the dodge like i said and it sucked it was god awful to even try cause 2/3rd of the time it didnt work and walking up stairs manually isnt that big of a deal either. for some reason ive never had the random enemy placement if i can recall if by random enemy placement means by zombies outfits changing then yes i remember very clearly

what did you play MGS for? you heard the story was good right? ive never heard someone say "play MGS cause it has fucking AWESOME game play.Forget about the story play for the gameplay"
          If you practice dodge is really useful and fun actually.

And it's not jut different looking zombies, sometimes there will be Hunters in a certain parts, sometimes a few drain demios, or maybe a large group of zombies. It's different every time.

MGS i would play for the story, because it's story is very good, just like an RPG. But MGS alos does have very good gameplay i think that's why i love MGS so much. It's a perfect mix of both.

I don't hate story, i love story, it's just i think gameplay is even more important in video games than story is.

RE i don't play for the story, because i think RE's overall story kinda sucks anyway, it would be better if it was all standalone like Indiana Jones is.

Most games i don't play for the story. I play for the gameplay, some of my favorite games of all time have almost no story at all. Like Star Wars Battlefront, or the old battlefield games on the PC. Or racing games like Flatout which is really fun demolition derby game for PC. Or RTS games, i usually play skirmish mode or level creator on RTS games, and only do the campaign like once usually.

I do like it when games have a story, it's just i have a problem when they focus the gameplay around a bad story, or do stupid retcons and stuff like they did with RE.

A good thing to do is structure the story around the gameplay. A good example of this is platformer games like Ratchet and Clank, or Jak and Daxter. They have superb gameplay and the story is structured around the gameplay. That means something will only happen in the story if it benefits the gameplay. The main focus is on gameplay, the story is there for the one liners and for the cool cutscenes. I mean in games like Uncharted the story is there as a means for Drake to travel around the world and to explore places. That is my favorite type of gameplay story combination.

Comment

The best games are the ones that combine narrative and gameplay seamlessly, Half Life 2 being a perfect example of this. There are no cutscenes and everything takes place in the first person view of Gordon Freeman. The story is incredibly strong and the gameplay is far more immersive as a result of that, because you feel a part of every event, no matter how small.

Game play doesnt mean shit for me and i'd rather have a good story than game play and i think a couple of people here will agree with me.
            Sounds to me like you'd enjoy watching movies more than playing games...

Comment

i enjoy them both equally

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                True, it's needed in mercs a lot.

And RE3 mercs is so underrated, I love it it's the best, it's so fun to play. Better than RE4 or RE5 mercs mode.

Also NWD, you love RE5 mercs yet it has no story, why do you play it then?

Originally posted by Gideon Quinn View Post
                The best games are the ones that combine narrative and gameplay seamlessly, Half Life 2 being a perfect example of this. There are no cutscenes and everything takes place in the first person view of Gordon Freeman. The story is incredibly strong and the gameplay is far more immersive as a result of that, because you feel a part of every event, no matter how small.

That's what i thought too.

Anyways I agree with you there, games that combine story and gameplay seamlessly like that are the best but very rare though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gideon Quinn View Post

People like me who prefer stories play games so we can be apart of that interactive story.

Anyways! my main point is it sounds like Bioshock ripped that idea off half life 2

Comment

[QUOTE=missvalentine;113558

Also NWD, you love RE5 mercs yet it has no story, why do you play it then?

to talk to friends while doing something insted of just looking at the PSN chat screen.
                    and to pass the time when im bord and do feel like going outside

i take it next your gonna ask me why i play MGO? well i play MGO cause its fun to play against other people especially my friends which is usually what i do but yha online games are diffrent from the actual game itself unless its co-op.
                    Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 07-03-2009, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Both are important but I don't want the story to overcome the gameplay like MGS4.
                      sigpic

Comment

i take it next your gonna ask me why i play MGO? well i play MGO cause its fun to play against other people especially my friends which is usually what i do but yha online games are diffrent from the actual game itself unless its co-op.
                        I wasn't going to actually.

But see that's my point, i play because it's fun, and because i like to play and i don't need a story to motivate me to play a game.

Originally posted by aris13 View Post
                        Both are important but I don't want the story to overcome the gameplay like MGS4.
                        I agree here a lot.

Comment

but you were compairing online to the actual story mode which are 2 very diffrent things.

and MGS4 had good gameplay AND a good story line i think.

Comment

but you were compairing online to the actual story mode which are 2 very diffrent things.

and MGS4 had good gameplay AND a good story line i think.
                            Not always really. Have you ever played any of the old battlefield games on the PC? Single Player is basically mutiplayer but with bots. It's still very good though. A classic and very fun game with no story whatsoever.

I think MGS4 has bad story and bad gameplay. But lets leave that debate for the MGS thread.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post

I think MGS4 has bad story and bad gameplay. But lets leave that debate for the MGS thread.

cause of your favorite character going bad? Raiden going cool?

Comment

Raiden going cool?
                                Raiden was always cool. For me at least.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X