Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you like to hear your entertainment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you like to hear your entertainment?

When you play a game, watch a movie or/and an anime, in what language would you listen it to? How would you like your characters portrayed like? Look, stupid obvious question cause I know everyone's gonna say English, but let's say you its for artistic or [insert scenario] reasons.

For example, when I'm playing Mega Man X7, I usually dialog track to Japanese because sometimes I really do find the English dub track to be that god awful. I mean in MMX7, I'll bring out one line for you to sum it up: "BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND!!! BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND!!!" I mute the TY just so I can survive the terror.

In Anime, I would go for the if-available Japanese track, except for one particular show, Yu Yu Hakusho. Yusuke Urameshi's English VA, Justin Cook, really does know how to freaking do his job as an artist, that's all that has to be said. Plus the Opening and Ending songs sound awesome in English, IMO. I actually prefer YYH in English.

I actually watched a lot of movies in Spanish before, especially Holes and Bolt. For some reason, watching Holes is a lot more enjoyable in Spanish. =P

If you're wondering why I even ask you of this is because recently, as you would all know, I put together a video of Resident Evil about its unused Japanese dialogue track. At first, upon hearing the pieces of the JP track without the scenes, it wasn't very "cool", but then I spliced together scenes from the game with the unused track. To my surprise, the JP voices seemed more "natural" with the characters movement, and the intensity of the cut-scenes, especially Jill IMO. I mean, I know how god-awful and intentionally cheesy the dialogue is, hell I'm a fan of the Jill Sandwich, but I just couldn't stand hearing...

Enrico: Is that Jill?
    Jill: Is that voice Enrico's?
    Enrico: Yeah?
    Jill: Your ALIVE!

What the f*/k? HE'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, YOU DUMB BROAD!!

And...

Barry: "WHAT! WHAT IS THIS?"
    (There's a puddle of a red liquid in front of Jill and Barry)
    Jill: "What is it?"
    Barry: "BLOOD."

No Barry, it's spilled Tomato Soup. =P

Ah, what the hell. I love this game's dialogue XD. I wonder how things would have sounded in Japanese.

It's interesting how the characters are portrayed in other languages. Discuss.
    If you have Twitter, follow me!. =P

Last edited by Vogue_Dirge; 07-21-2009, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I always listen to everything in it's original language, because dubs are ALWAYS inferior, in my opinion.

Comment

There are occasions when the bud is as good as the subititles, although the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Hellsing. Normally, though, I'll watch it in the origional tounge with subtitles. I don't even notice them these days.

Comment

Blood alone moves the wheels of history!
          See you in hell.

Comment

I tend to butt in with a few things everytime I see a localization themed topic, so here I am again (using some of the same damn samples as before!)

I come from a place that does not really have a dubbing culture. Subtitles are our best friends and the only stuff that ever really gets dubbed here are movies/series that appeals to children that aren't fluent in reading, yet.

However, oddly enough, some of the giants in the game industry (Sony and EA, to take two samples) are hell bent on dubbing stuff here, even though it's absolutely not necessary under any circumstances. In most cases, a translation isn't even necessary thanks to the local exposure to English.

It's a bit of a curiosity and annoyance to some how the US (and other English speaking cultures) are so focused on needing stuff 100% in English (to the point where it gets even more stupid than France's Toubon Law, as it's not even enforced by law, but only a market necessity thanks to a markets lack of acceptance of foreign culture and linguistic exposure.

And as far as dubs goes... I think there are good dubs and bad dubs.
            I'm not much of a fan of recent anime dubs. There's just something that's wrong with the acting. I can't quite put my finger on it, it's not necessarily over-acting, but there's just something wrong with the acting in general. As if you have a pile of accents/dialects and one of them happens to be "Dubbed Anime". I've got a rather huge VHS collection of old anime shows and movies that were dubbed in English, and I think quite a lot of those are pretty solid, especially considering how small the market for this was back when they came out.

I never watch movies dubbed into my own native language, with a few exceptions. There were a few movies that had some heavy script doctoring going on for the localized audio, such as Ice Age. Fantastic dubs that I would say, at least for a native speaker, works much better and has a lot more charm and humor to it than the original English audio ever will. I also consider myself a huge fan of use of accents and dialects in stuff, something that's unfortunately kinda dying out where I am now, as a lot of people seem to be offended if they're slightly alienated by dialects or something... I don't quite get why people are such haters of things like that (and people wonder why I often hate other people?)

One dub I really liked was the original Pokemon dub we had on TV where I live + for the first movies and such, really fantastic stuff. Unfortunately, that was probably the last nail in the coffin for the old school dubs (with the exception of certain shows' reruns on Cartoon Network)

One thing that's actually more icky is subtitling vs audio.
            Harry Potter has a rather rich and well worked through localization here, so a lot of terms and names are either very different or somehow "Norwegianified" from the original English names. This can create confusion for some while watching the movies with subtitling, especially if it's your first time and you've never had any exposure to the terminology before. You'll be bombed with strange terms that, as far as your English knowledge goes, does not instantly make sense and/or match up with the English audio. But after a while, they sink in and you realize how well thought through they are.

Now, why mention this?

Well, because I'm actually a rather huge "opponent" of the so called "Undub" culture.

It's something that actually really bothers me. Not because someone spent time and money on dubbing something, but because 99.99% of all undubs are a complete and utter nightmare to anyone who has even a tiny grasp of the original audio language.

When something is localized, there are often heavy script edits done by multiple people, lots of dialog that has had a flow change, lots of stuff that has been shortened or expanded, etc... lots of stuff that basically is related to the differences between two languages, cultures and just general polishing in attempts to try to at least make something slightly more presentable in a different language than it originally was after being directly translated.

So, what happens when you take this final English script and slam in a totally different audio language on top of it than the one it was designed for?
            You get a total mess. A linguistic disaster. Something that often even goes far beyond some of the mishaps you find if you use dubtitles vs subtitles on a multi-lingual DVD. The fact that anyone would accept such a mess of an "undub" is something I find disgusting. It just goes to show how little people know, how little people care and what kind of disturbing prejudice people hold against certain things.

And, of course, don't get me started on the whole "Japan > All" thing some people have. Like how you see people put anything in Japanese, 'cause it was available, even though the initial target language wasn't even Japanese (Lost Odyssey says hi)
            ('cause, again, these are usually people who don't even have any intentions of learning said language, and whose knowledge of it is entirely limited to maybe a single greeting and some sort of phrase or random linguistic gesture. Often even with a limited understanding of how languages, their differences and translation between them even works. They just have this illusion of how one language is so holy and sacred beyond anything else, that no matter how messed up and wrong it is, it's still better)

Anyway, bottom line is:

I don't encourage dubbing "in general"
            I prefer original audio (usually) for artistic reasons, if accompanying text and presentation is done in an overall acceptable presentation
            I appreciate dubs that are rich and properly adapted to the target language
            I encourage multi-cultural exposure

I hate Japanese schoolgirls in their late 30s with squeeky voices

Comment

""Our teachers had faith in their lessons, their doctrine,
              But these facts are unreliable, these cracks are undeniable,"
              you said.

"Do you feel the warmth beneath your feet?
              That's cos the earth is so very old...
              They should have warned us years ago.
              We should have been told that secret kept
              By Mum and Dad
              Which covered everything...
              'At first it's dark, and then it's light, and then it's dark again...'
              "

Also;

"You and me, we're dead in the blink of an eye.
              We've been and gone...
              ...we're dead in a blink of the earth's eye.
              "

Comment

When watching anime, I tend to find that the Japanese dub is a lot better but for everything else I just watch in English.

Comment

Originally posted by Vogue_Dirge View Post
                  Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                  Blood alone moves the wheels of history!
                  Originally posted by randomwab View Post
                  ""Our teachers had faith in their lessons, their doctrine,
                  But these facts are unreliable, these cracks are undeniable,"
                  you said.

"Do you feel the warmth beneath your feet?
                  That's cos the earth is so very old...
                  They should have warned us years ago.
                  We should have been told that secret kept
                  By Mum and Dad
                  Which covered everything...
                  'At first it's dark, and then it's light, and then it's dark again...'
                  "

Also;

"You and me, we're dead in the blink of an eye.
                  We've been and gone...
                  ...we're dead in a blink of the earth's eye.
                  "
                  If you have Twitter, follow me!. =P

Comment

Working...
                  X