First District 9 review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
    Choosing a score for a movie from a scale is still technically a review. It doesn't have to be a write up or a long, drawn out discussion or conversation. People are still expressing their opinions about a film when they give it any kind of score, whether they have an avenue for actually explaining the score or not.
    No its not. Webster disagrees with you, especially considering that the term youre looking for is "rating". Which is what giving a score is. Reviewing is something entirely different.

But I mean, if you want to make things up just so you could "win an argument"....

because, as I already stated, I wasn't posting about the movie itself but rather your response to kev's post.
    Except for the fact that you completely got my response wrong and figured it would be "cool" to go for that old "reviews dont mean anything" run and STILL try to, without realizing that were not talking about a numerical representation of peoples tastes, but rather a numerical representation of the quality of the movie. And *fact* is that movies quality is being reflected in numbers, based on emotional votes not affecting objective or observational votes.

My response was solely aimed to the first part of his post, where he said I was easily pleased and not at where he said that the movie was boring. So...

It's not my fault you apparently couldn't tell the difference.
    ... cool story, but perhaps take a little more time when reading posts youre going to respond with an attitude to?

It's still ultimately based on people's opinions, no matter how "objective" they may or may not be. An average score for, in this case, a movie is still no more definitive or "factual" than a single score from an individual.
    Based on what logic (or lack of one)? Youre saying that as an individual, my opinion is worth just as much as lets say, a sum of 30K opinions? Now youre really stretching.

As I already said, it is affected by opinions, because that's all the scores are.
    You will likely never get it, or never try to get it, but theres a major difference between an objective review (an objective numerical evaluation) or a subjective one. You probably dont know how the IMDB ratings work and you will most likely just go around in circles, still trying to prove that the opinion of 1 = opinion of 1M. So Ill try to simplify this- motional voters score neutralizes itsself and the average is an objective evaluation of the movie. Which means that people who LIKED the movie and people who DIDNT like the movie, are going to default each others votes so the final score youll get is going to reflect the movies quality compared to other movies. Not whether youll like it or not, but how well the movie is made. Thats it-

Just so you wouldnt be chasing your tail again- first part, not the second part. I didnt even adress his "opinion" because its just that.

Comment

We're just going to have to agree to disagree then, because the "quality" of a movie is subjective as well. The fact that a system is based on a calculation of numbers does not make it objective when those very numbers upon which it is based are in turn based on a person's subjective opinion of a movie, or the "quality" of the movie. Just because a person's assessment of the quality of the film may be more "objective" than someone who votes off the cuff without giving it any real thought does not mean it is void of any and all personal bias or opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
        We're just going to have to agree to disagree then, because the "quality" of a movie is subjective as well. The fact that a system is based on a calculation of numbers does not make it objective when those very numbers upon which it is based are in turn based on a person's subjective opinion of a movie, or the "quality" of the movie. Just because a person's assessment of the quality of the film may be more "objective" than someone who votes off the cuff without giving it any real thought does not mean it is void of any and all personal bias or opinion.
        You can disagree with me, but think of it this way- if what you were saying was true, then movies which are made for the masses should *always* have higher scores than niche movies. So Paris Hilton blockbusters should leave movies like STALKER or say... Schindlers List.

Comment

For a movie that I didn't even know was coming out a month ago, I really want to see this and heard good things about the movie.

Comment

I wanted to like this really bad, but for some reason its leaving a sour taste in my mouth. I'll have to view it again to find out why. Maybe its because
            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
              I wanted to like this really bad, but for some reason its leaving a sour taste in my mouth. I'll have to view it again to find out why. Maybe its because
              Spoiler:
              Dot, these things are all explainable.

Among a million other (explainable) things people didnt particulaly like, Ill adress the two issues you had:

Spoiler:
              Last edited by Member_of_STARS; 08-22-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Spoiler:
                Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-22-2009, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                    X