Using PS3 as a blu ray player as opposed to a actual blu ray player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using PS3 as a blu ray player as opposed to a actual blu ray player

i noticed that blu ray looks...meh on a full hd TV. then i remember im using the ps3, so i have to ask, is there a difference between the ps3 and a actual blu ray player?

I don't know from experience but I have no idea why there'd be a difference between the two.

Comment

The PS3 supports BD-Live I think one of the few players that do you can also update the profile via firmware updates which most players don't allow, I'm not sure if it supports HMDI 1.4 though which allows you to have 3D movies not sure if they used that while displaying the Wipeout 3D demo. Newer PS3's don't support SACD though and I think they may of blocked Blu-ray java because people where making homebrew apps through it.
      If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Is your PS3 plugged into the TV through HDMI or Scart? That's the only thing i can think of. It's either that, or you're just not impressed by bluray in general.

My brother-in-law used to harp on to me about how good Assassins Creed look in HD and that i had to see it on his TV. Was about a year and a half ago. I still haven't had the heart to tell him.

Comment

well no i am hooked to hdmi and i've seen blu ray films in hd at stores and they look badass,but my full HD 1080p TV just looks like an up scaled DVD, and i have watched DVDs on my PS3 and they look ok upscaled. but when i pop in a blu ray film i expect to be wowoed

Comment

It could be your HDTV just isn't as good enough to really make blurays stand out as much. My friend's hdtv isn't as good as mine and it's noticeable, and my dad's is noticeably better than mine. Blurays on my PS3 are great on mine. Could be any number of things though.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm yet to blown away by bluray. I mean, all the films look nice enough, but i'm reserving judgement until i'm plugging into a shit hot TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Alzaire View Post
                It could be your HDTV just isn't as good enough to really make blurays stand out as much. My friend's hdtv isn't as good as mine and it's noticeable, and my dad's is noticeably better than mine. Blurays on my PS3 are great on mine. Could be any number of things though.
                well im using a JVC 42 in full hd 1080p tv, a generic HDMI cable and the ps3, do i have to set it to anything to make it look nicer

Comment

There are probably several options you could tweak around with on your TV, this really varies from television to television.

As stated earlier it really depends on the quality of your TV. If it's an LCD or Plasma are also vital factors.
                  Freedom of Information.

Comment

^This. LCD > Plasma if I remember correctly...

Comment

I agree it'll be the TV. It sounds like it's scaling up the 1080p signal to a higher resolution. The PS3 can do that as well, but usually only from items like games which native display is 720p. I have a full HD setup on a 42 inch Sony Bravia, playing via PS3 in 1080p, and all my BD's look mint.
                      Last edited by Rombie; 12-22-2009, 04:37 PM.

Comment

If you're asking, "is the PS3 BR player a piece of shit, inferior to the stand alone BR players you can find in shops?"... The answer is no... it is not.
                        I'd actually say it's one of the better ones, especially with the ability to upgrade features and firmware with online updates.
                        Many of the points have already been made but I'll try to summarize.

If you're not impressed with BR it could be:
                        1) Your eyes are bad.
                        2) Your HDTV is bad.
                        3) Your HDTV is too small to notice the difference.
                        4) Your cables are bad.
                        5) Your HDTV settings are bad. There are so many options on the picture settings that this is a bit of an art form in itself. Too much or too little of something or the wrong mode set on something, can make a dramatic difference.
                        6) Finally and most importantly: The source material could be bad. If all of the above is A-OK, than you have the 'potential' to see incredible pictures. If the source (the quality of the recorded film or broadcast) isn't up to scratch, then no amount of technology is going to make the pictures look amazing.

I've seen BR movies that look a bit meh and others that look only marginally better than a DVD (at least to my eyes). But when you see something that has been filmed at the highest quality and is making full use of the 1080p, then yes, you should be "wowoed".
                        I've seen some BRs on my HDTV that look incredible and SUPER real! (that's better than real).

Comment

Working...
                        X