X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Dictionary.com:
    lit⋅er⋅a⋅ture
    –noun
    1. writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays.

While it wouldn't be easy to adapt video games into narrative novels (as even games with brilliant plot content involve an amount of repetition that wouldn't work in that format), that doesn't mean video games are incomparable to literature in terms of value. There are video games with auditory, literary, and visual components which contribute to the same thematic and symbolic ideas literature, theater, music, painting, film, etc set out to express (the reason for the definition at the top). As MoS pointed out, video games have yet to prove themselves as an art form. There are more Marios than there are Silent Hill 2s. Games have the potential for the same amount of intellectual value other forms of expression do.

Comment

^I agree with the both of you above me. If a skilled and talented director were to take a video game like, let's say, BioShock seriously, it could turn out to be great film.

But no one is willing to try it.

Comment

Actually I am not very fond of almost any literature. While I can tolerate or enjoy reading a book, I take less out of it than if I were to say, play a video game or watch a movie.

Comment

Working...
        X