This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyber Bullying.

I've noticed a lot of kids are getting cyber bullied and having psychological issues due to what's being told to them.

I myself was a victim of cyber bullying when I was in highschool. Being down talked by people who were obviously too scared to say it to my face. Sitting behind a computer, typing stuff to a innocent teenage girl doesn't necessarily make you a tough guy. It's actually laughable now, but what it did to me at the time was pretty bad. I was starting to question myself and begin to believe what they said about me.

A lot of kids take the internet seriously now, which is scary. I just wanna say to anyone and everyone out there who's been a victim of cyber bullying and sees someone else being victimized, stand up for them. Stand up for them since no one stood up for you. It'll really help, most people are too scared to stand up to someone being cyber bullied, because they're scared they'll be bullied back. Which is true, but the more people against the bully the better and eventually they'll back down.

Anyway what are your thoughts and concerns on this subject?
    Last edited by TheMedic; 01-23-2010, 10:47 AM.

People need to get a life and find something better to do than tear people down.

Comment

Basically... people are dicks.

Comment

Yeah. Bebo, Facebook and Tagged are filled with losers who try to bully others for their own gain. Most mature video games forums with a pleasant atmosphere don't tolerate such spammers. I deleted my profiles on those social networking sites a while back because they were so shitty and without a purpose. But, yeah... You get net bullies everywhere. Almost every mod on Wikipedia is a bully. Like, they think they own every edit.

Comment

Eh, I've had two occurances of people thinking I was too 'annoying' so, rather than calmly telling me like a normal person, they posted this spew of hate, both in public places. One of the times, it was even a group, so every single one attatcked.

I think I was around 14 and 16 for both times. Sometimes it STILL bothers me, sometimes I end up flashing back to it. But it the end, I supose it made me stronger. ><

Comment

Originally posted by Inferno04 View Post
            Eh, I've had two occurances of people thinking I was too 'annoying' so, rather than calmly telling me like a normal person, they posted this spew of hate, both in public places. One of the times, it was even a group, so every single one attatcked.

I think I was around 14 and 16 for both times. Sometimes it STILL bothers me, sometimes I end up flashing back to it. But it the end, I supose it made me stronger. ><

That's exactly like what happened to me recently on a forum I will not name, because bringing up the name might provoke them. They convinced me I was ugly and had no reason to live. I was also "stupid for believing in a higher power", and not entitled to my own opinion. Nothing I said was right and they'd jump on anything and everything i'd reply to with a "STFU you stupid bitch" Or "You're such a joke". I can't really get over it, I'm trying to because it shouldn't matter what they think, but its hard to as well because anyone telling you something mean is hurtful and it usually sticks with you more so than the positive stuff people tell you.

I'm a very sensitive person myself so it hurts to be verbally abused. People who have the time to be mean are losers anyway. It takes more time to be mean than to be nice. Being nice is easy so why can't people do that more often?
            Last edited by TheMedic; 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMedic View Post
              That's exactly like what happened to me recently on a forum I will not name, because bringing up the name might provoke them. They convinced me I was ugly and had no reason to live. I was also "stupid for believing in a higher power", and not entitled to my own opinion. Nothing I said was right and they'd jump on anything and everything i'd reply to with a "STFU you stupid bitch" Or "You're such a joke". I can't really get over it, I'm trying to because it shouldn't matter what they think, but its hard to as well because anyone telling you something mean is hurtful and it usually sticks with you more so than the positive stuff people tell you.

I'm a very sensitive person myself so it hurts to be verbally abused. People who have the time to be mean are losers anyway. It takes more time to be mean than to be nice. Being nice is easy so why can't people do that more often?
              Because people want to be mean and get away with it. xD It's sadly, a sort of human nature thing, and the internet just gives a chance to do just that.

Comment

Not sure I quite understand this. If someone's an asshole to me on the internet, I say 'who gives a fuck, it's the internet.' People take this shit too seriously. Don't give out your information, don't get too friendly with someone you're just getting to know, and just use your head in general and you shouldn't have an issue. If you're truly bothered by what someone says over the internet, you're either too sensitive or putting yourself out there too much...and maybe a combination of both.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post

Not sure I quite understand this. If someone's an asshole to me on the internet, I say 'who gives a fuck, it's the internet.' People take this shit too seriously. Don't give out your information, don't get too friendly with someone you're just getting to know, and just use your head in general and you shouldn't have an issue. If you're truly bothered by what someone says over the internet, you're either too sensitive or putting yourself out there too much...and maybe a combination of both.
                  So, so this.

If someone starts a trollin' and/or being a douche block them and move on. Getting hung up on such trivial matters is just pointless and idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post

I agree with this. It's the net, who cares? Sure, it's easy to get involved with these things when you're young, but sometimes you have to learn life lessons the hard way. I don't really get "cyber bullying" because you can get all sorts of a-holes on the net, it's to be expected, you just have to stand up for yourself and not get too involved.

Why let something someone on the net says have any impact on you, unless they're a friend you know personally? I'd never let someone on the internet "convince me" of anything about myself, I'm self assured of who I am anyway. If someone you've never met can convince you your life isn't worth living, then maybe the solution can be found by looking inward instead of the fact it's on the internet.

I can understand with kids who aren't well-versed with the internet can sometimes get a bit too involved with it and have to learn things the hard way, or, like in real life, learn to stand up for themselves. However, I find it hard to have sympathy for grown adults who should be older and wiser than let some dicks on the internet have any sort of impact on their emotional well-being.

I think it's a lot more malicious and serious when you become emotionally involved with someone (be it friend or otherwise), and they begin to lie about themselves and use their lies with intent to cause emotional damage. I've been involved in such situations before when friends pretend to be dead or in a car crash or something.
                    Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 01-23-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
                      I agree with this. It's the net, who cares? Sure, it's easy to get involved with these things when you're young, but sometimes you have to learn life lessons the hard way. I don't really get "cyber bullying" because you can get all sorts of a-holes on the net, it's to be expected, you just have to stand up for yourself and not get too involved.

Why let something someone on the net says have any impact on you, unless they're a friend you know personally? I'd never let someone on the internet "convince me" of anything about myself, I'm self assured of who I am anyway. If someone you've never met can convince you your life isn't worth living, then maybe the solution can be found by looking inward instead of the fact it's on the internet.

I can understand with kids who aren't well-versed with the internet can sometimes get a bit too involved with it and have to learn things the hard way, or, like in real life, learn to stand up for themselves. However, I find it hard to have sympathy for grown adults who should be older and wiser than let some dicks on the internet have any sort of impact on their emotional well-being.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia_Ashford View Post
                        I've been involved in such situations before when friends pretend to be dead or, you know... in a car crash in hospital or something.
                        Speaking of. I got a rather interesting message the other day in an attempt to upset me. It was rather lulzy, I must say, in context of this thread and all...

Jen: i just wanted to let you knw that taylor got into a serious car accident and doctors say that she might not make it and she keeps asking about you.
                        Endrance: Right and that's why she's online
                        Endrance: Nice try.
                        Jen: i don't see her online?
                        Endrance: Just asked a friend of mine that has her on his list
                        Endrance: She's on
                        Endrance: So again, I say nice try.
                        Endrance: And this is exactly the reason I blocked her.
                        Jen: like i said i don't see her online, but i am talking to her mom atm
                        Endrance: She didn't have her license, last I remember either.
                        Jen: she got it in novemeber
                        Endrance: I don't see why she would be asking for me anyways.
                        Jen: because she misses you and doesn't understand why you wouldn't talk to her anymore and feels bad
                        Endrance: When did this happen, then.
                        Jen: 2 days ago
                        Endrance: how old is she?
                        Jen: she will be 20 this year
                        Endrance: I apologize if I'm rather suspicious.
                        Endrance: But seriously.
                        Jen: Taylor says: (9:54:49 PM)
                        well i thought i would be a good friend and at least tell you bc she was begging me to tell you she missed you
                        Endrance: So she is online
                        Endrance: lol
                        Jen: lol i told you she misses talking to you bitch!!!
                        Jen: after all well you know taylor is a sick fuck!*
                        Endrance: lolwat
                        Jen: yeah
                        Jen: she misses ya
                        Endrance: but she wasn't in a car accident
                        Endrance: and was telling you to say that
                        Endrance: so i would unblock her
                        Jen: she wasn't expecting you to unblock her
                        Jen: but she doesn't really care
                        Endrance: lmao
                        Endrance: but wanted you to send that
                        Endrance: and claim she was in an accident
                        Jen: no she was
                        Jen: it just wasn't as serious

Nice try, but no dice. Also, calling someone a bitch when they call you out on your fail at trolling/bullying/whatever you want to call it? Priceless.

Comment

From experience, 99% of people on the Web are prats anyway, trying to big themselves up by being cynical/snide/trolling on others. Or generally trying to misrepresent themselves to live as some kind of sad internet alter ego where they desperately try to seem cool or relevant to whatever forum/site they're trying to infect.

Used the net since '96 and have probably only met 5-6 genuine people who I still keep in contact with.

Had a few incidents of cyber stalking, where i've seen people go so far as to follow other friends to try and get information about me, or even going so far as to have people hack emails or into my paypal to remove funds from my bank account despite me never divulging such information *£500 was removed 2 years ago in one such incident despite having a 20 digit password, got it resolved legally though.*

Comment

Originally posted by YamiYumes View Post
                            Speaking of. I got a rather interesting message the other day in an attempt to upset me. It was rather lulzy, I must say, in context of this thread and all...

Jen: i just wanted to let you knw that taylor got into a serious car accident and doctors say that she might not make it and she keeps asking about you.
                            Endrance: Right and that's why she's online
                            Endrance: Nice try.
                            Jen: i don't see her online?
                            Endrance: Just asked a friend of mine that has her on his list
                            Endrance: She's on
                            Endrance: So again, I say nice try.
                            Endrance: And this is exactly the reason I blocked her.
                            Jen: like i said i don't see her online, but i am talking to her mom atm
                            Endrance: She didn't have her license, last I remember either.
                            Jen: she got it in novemeber
                            Endrance: I don't see why she would be asking for me anyways.
                            Jen: because she misses you and doesn't understand why you wouldn't talk to her anymore and feels bad
                            Endrance: When did this happen, then.
                            Jen: 2 days ago
                            Endrance: how old is she?
                            Jen: she will be 20 this year
                            Endrance: I apologize if I'm rather suspicious.
                            Endrance: But seriously.
                            Jen: Taylor says: (9:54:49 PM)
                            well i thought i would be a good friend and at least tell you bc she was begging me to tell you she missed you
                            Endrance: So she is online
                            Jen: lol i told you she misses talking to you bitch!!!
                            Jen: after all well you know taylor is a sick fuck!*
                            Endrance: lolwat
                            Jen: yeah
                            Jen: she misses ya
                            Endrance: but she wasn't in a car accident
                            Endrance: and was telling you to say that
                            Endrance: so i would unblock her
                            Jen: she wasn't expecting you to unblock her
                            Jen: but she doesn't really care
                            Endrance: lmao
                            Endrance: but wanted you to send that
                            Endrance: and claim she was in an accident
                            Jen: no she was
                            Jen: it just wasn't as serious

Nice try, but no dice. Also, calling someone a bitch when they call you out on your fail at trolling/bullying/whatever you want to call it? Priceless.

lol I thought you'd get a kick out of it which you obviously did or else it wouldn't be posted on here. We did that because we knew you could give a crap about me so we thought you would "LOL" or something. Which I know you did.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMedic View Post
                              lol I thought you'd get a kick out of it which you obviously did or else it wouldn't be posted on here. We did that because we knew you could give a crap about me so we thought you would "LOL" or something. Which I know you did.
                              Not to get involved or anything, but.. Whatever your reason, do you really think it's fair to lie to anyone about being involved in a car crash? What about people who really DO get involved in accidents like that and never make it out? There's a line that you don't cross when it comes to making stuff up.

If you think that is acceptable behaviour, then all of your opinions on "cyber bullying" must be farce and hypocritical because that's exactly what you did there, by lying about being critically ill in a car accident. Not to mention quite sick.
                              Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 01-23-2010, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X