Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you prefer live music or studio recorded albums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I wouldn't so much as argue that you ignore the quality of the music at live shows. I would guess that bands who have very precise production, or elaborate multi-instrumental recordings wouldn't sound up to snuff live. To be general most punk, garage, pop, simple rock, etc. bands have such a punch live that they can never achieve in the studio. Either they're playing the songs faster, or louder, or whatever it is their sound works well.

I don't have a preference, especially since I've been listening to much less music than before. Really don't have a lot to complain about either one, unless I hate the artist, heh.

Comment

Both I like it when they play it live an use a alternative instrumental or use the instrumental from another song, I hate it when they turn the speakers up too high though all you get it reverb that makes your ears bleed
      If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

I enjoy both of 'em. I mean in live they add things they don't have in the album, sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's better. Either way, I love both. Number one, to see them live and here their add-ons. Second on album, they're with me everywhere.

Comment

I don't really like live recordings because sometimes the quality sucks or you hear too much other noise. (i.e. crowds roaring, ambient sounds, people talking, clapping) Just regular studio recordings for me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
            (i.e. crowds roaring, ambient sounds, people talking, clapping)
            ON A LIVE RECORDING?!

Comment

Yeah, they were really shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
                I don't really like live recordings because sometimes the quality sucks or you hear too much other noise. (i.e. crowds roaring, ambient sounds, people talking, clapping) Just regular studio recordings for me please.
                Originally posted by Stu View Post
                ON A LIVE RECORDING?!
                ...yeah, Stu, I think you might have lost it on this one. She says why she doesn't like the live music and you make fun of her for...pointing out the stuff on the life recordings she doesn't like? I'm not entirely sure what you were going for with this one.

Comment

Lost what exactly?

I'm just pointing out that those are EXACTLY the type of things that live recordings are all about.

Comment

It really depends which band it is. Some live recordings are interesting, due to the little quirks bands put in, adding different lyrics or changing the melody a little, but for the most part I prefer studio recordings.

Comment

Lost what exactly?

I'm just pointing out that those are EXACTLY the type of things that live recordings are all about.
                      Maybe my sarcasm detector broke, but it came off as very sarcastic, what with the block capitals, when she was simply saying that's exactly why she doesn't like live recordings.

Comment

Honestly, I hate when musicians record something, and can't play it live in a way that sounds remotely close to the studio version. That to me isn't the music I enjoy, the performance (not even counting the show, Im just saying the performance of the music) is where its at. Anyone can edit sounds together to create "music" for an album, but it takes an entirely different breed to be able to actually play it. There are exceptions, sure (ie I wouldnt expect a full orchestra to show up at a small venue), but come on. Thats the musician side of me though, having done the whole overdub studio thing in the past, thats just not natural and doesn't reflect the musician. Bleh

Comment

I really like going to live shows.

Saturday night I've got a ticket to ACDC. Cost me ~$130 USD. I think it'll be worth every cent The atmosphere will be electric.

I've been to other gigs where I've left the mosh pit with someone elses blood on my shirt. And yet I've been to see a ukelele player, and we all sat on the ground at the venue and just listened to the man play his heart out - totally different atmosphere, and neither are captured by CD recordings.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                            Maybe my sarcasm detector broke, but it came off as very sarcastic, what with the block capitals, when she was simply saying that's exactly why she doesn't like live recordings.
                            To me, listing those sort of things as things you don't like in live albums is like saying you don't like hearing guitars, drums, bass and vocals in a studio album. They're part and parcel of the package.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                              I really like going to live shows.

Saturday night I've got a ticket to ACDC. Cost me ~$130 USD. I think it'll be worth every cent The atmosphere will be electric.

I've been to other gigs where I've left the mosh pit with someone elses blood on my shirt. And yet I've been to see a ukelele player, and we all sat on the ground at the venue and just listened to the man play his heart out - totally different atmosphere, and neither are captured by CD recordings.

Exactly.

Comment

Bleh...

To me, listing those sort of things as things you don't like in live albums is like saying you don't like hearing guitars, drums, bass and vocals in a studio album. They're part and parcel of the package.
                                Well that's a fine and dandy opinion, but to me that makes no sense. For music, instruments and actual parts of the music are just that: Part of the music. Random other sounds in the background are not part of the music itself, they are just part of the 'feel' or 'ambiance'. And its that type of 'feel' or 'ambiance' that I don't like.

Comment

Working...
                                X